Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2006, 03:02 PM   #1

WE have a 2003 F-350 Ford crew cab dually to pull our 37 ft. 5th. wheel.Does anyone have experiance with power programers soch as Edge,Bully Dog ect.like everyone else each one is the best.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2006, 03:02 PM   #2

WE have a 2003 F-350 Ford crew cab dually to pull our 37 ft. 5th. wheel.Does anyone have experiance with power programers soch as Edge,Bully Dog ect.like everyone else each one is the best.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have an 2002 and use a SCMT (Super Chips Micro Tuner). Really gives the engine a kick in the pants. But you should have an EGT (exhaust gas temp) to keep an eye on temps.

There is always the question of engine warranty if you modify.

By the way, welcome to IRV2. For more info on the Ford oil burners, try The Diesel Stop.

Ken
Old 12-01-2006, 04:36 AM   #4

You would be very happy with the Edge Evolution. Has a setting for good towing and if you are into your second childhood, a setting that you would do very good at drag racing as well. If you tow with a chip or programmer, you will never go back.
As it has already been stated, gauges and exhaust are almost a necessity but I have a friend that has neither and run the 60hp towing setting on the Edge and is towing close to 12k. He has been doing this for a couple of years and no problems.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:38 AM   #5

Thanks Ken and Jim.I have been leaning toward
the Edge.I already have a prodigy and am not pleased with it.Ialso agree with the egt guage as I have owned my own commercial trucks for 35 years nd turbos are not cheap!Also thanks for the tip on
spell checker since I am new to this ,type bad,and
dont see my mistakes till I send and then say oops.Now if I just downloaded it correctly.
Al(etn7768)
Old 12-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #6
R&T

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by etn7768:
WE have a 2003 F-350 Ford crew cab dually to pull our 37 ft. 5th. wheel.Does anyone have experiance with power programers soch as Edge,Bully Dog ect.like everyone else each one is the best. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi etn
Iam using a Bullybog tri works great and it will program ford gm and dodge in lots of year

so if you change trucks youcan take it with you

my GM Max has never worked so good
Old 12-01-2006, 01:21 PM   #7

check out www.dp-tuner.com

I run it and like it. Many people with powerstrokers who look at thedieselstop.com run these tunes and love them.

They also do tunes for gas powered rigs.

I purchased a multi position switch and have a 40hp tow and 80hp tow and love it!

superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:55 AM   #8

I run a superchips 60 hp program in my truck and love it. Mine is a old chip, it runs the same program as the tuners. Another advantage with the superchips micro tuner, is that it can be used as a code reader as well.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:56 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
One of my boys insisted that I get the Edge Juice with Attitude. I was afraid I would get a ticket or tear up the truck. Way too much for me so now it's in classsifieds. I do think the 4" straight exhaust and open air cleaner gave me sufficient oomph to do what I need to do.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:04 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John:
One of my boys insisted that I get the Edge Juice with Attitude. I was afraid I would get a ticket or tear up the truck. Way too much for me so now it's in classsifieds. I do think the 4" straight exhaust and open air cleaner gave me sufficient oomph to do what I need to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, power and speed are not for everyone!!!

Serriously, how is a tuner going to get you a speeding ticket??? Dont you, the driver control just how fast your truck goes down the road. Thats how my truck works.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:03 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
gearman, I'm like any other seventy year old kid that has to try out the toys to see what they will do I guess irresponsible might be a word to describe me.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:48 AM   #12

After reading several diesel pickup forums for some years now, I decided I'm better off without one. Besides, my present stock D/A pulls our 15,500# 5er just fine without a programmer. I wonder what programmer LEPage was running when he blew his Cummins?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote