RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2019, 03:53 AM   #1

Pressure

I know this dead horse has been beaten but I have to put this out there. A little background...

Just picked up a new tt on Saturday.and the walk-thru tech advised us to keep the tires at 60 psi. They are rated for 65 psi cold.

Now before everyone tears into this tech, he was an experienced (45 years) rv'er. Very knowledgeable and nice. A good amount of valuable information. I agree with 99% of what he said.

I know this can be a religious discussion, so let me pose the question this way:

What this the technical/scientific reason to to run the tires at max cold pressure versus 5 lbs under to allow for expansion?

If I'm going to hold a position/opinion, I want to make sure it's an informed one.

Thanks.

Brenwol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2019, 05:48 AM   #2

There are a ton of folks much smarter than me who have done the engineering on tires. I would look to see if there is a minimum spec on the tire. Then I would go ahead and inflate to the max, maybe a hair under but not over. Just my opinion.

Spoonsize is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:49 AM   #3

Max inflation pressure is just that, dont over think it. That being said the carrying cap. of the tire depends on inflation pressure up to the Max pressure. The manufacture Designed the tires, you dont need to allow for expansion. Less pressure less carrying capacity.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:57 AM   #4

It may just to cover variations in pressure gauges.

(Inflate to 60, just in case your gauge reads a bit low)
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenwol1 View Post
I know this dead horse has been beaten but I have to put this out there. A little background...

Just picked up a new tt on Saturday.and the walk-thru tech advised us to keep the tires at 60 psi. They are rated for 65 psi cold.

Now before everyone tears into this tech, he was an experienced (45 years) rv'er. Very knowledgeable and nice. A good amount of valuable information. I agree with 99% of what he said.

I know this can be a religious discussion, so let me pose the question this way:

What this the technical/scientific reason to to run the tires at max cold pressure versus 5 lbs under to allow for expansion?

If I'm going to hold a position/opinion, I want to make sure it's an informed one.

Thanks.
Max. cold inflation pressure is just that, when the tires are cold and haven't been driven nor baked in the sun for hours. If max pressure is 65 psi you can set it to that COLD. Manufacturers allow for the expansion of a hot tire, some can go 10 psi or more above cold pressure.

If your tire is rated for much more cargo capacity than is needed running it lower than max makes for a comfier,less bouncy or harsh ride. I switched the load range D tires to load range E tires on our 5er. I ran them at 80 psi cold for a long time but have since found 70 psi is plenty adequate and much less stuff gets rattled around on harsh roads.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
ST type tires must be inflated to their max cold pressure. Other tires might have a load table, but then you need to know your exact weight. Max inflation is safer than guessing a number less than that.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #7

This horse can’t be killed.

Do you know the weight of your trailer?

The maximum pressure, as stated on the tire, will support the maximum load, as stated on the tire.

Did you ask the mechanic how he determined that 60psi was the proper pressure?

Inflating to maximum pressure without knowing the weight of the vehicle is simply making an uninformed decision.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Inflating to maximum pressure without knowing the weight of the vehicle is simply making an uninformed decision.
Not if the tires on the OPs travel trailer are ST type tires on a multiple axle setup.

https://www.rvtravel.com/tire-inflat...nterply-shear/
Old 07-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenwol1 View Post

Thanks.

Tires are tested and rated under laboratory conditions. There aren't potholes, gravel in turns, tiregators, beer bottles, road heaves, misaligned bridge expansion joints, or anything like that. Basically, tires are rated based on race track conditions. You're not on a track, you're out in the real world. The 5 pounds will give you a little softer ride, and will give your tires a little buffer to help with potholes and road debris.

Do a little experiment. Get a bag of balloons and take two of them out of the bag. Blow one up just before it pops and tie it. Then blow up the other one the same way, but let 10% of the air out then tie it. Now hit the balloons (tires) on the corner of your table (pothole) and see which one pops first.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'd like to see everyone that is giving recommendations for lower than max tire pressure to cite authoritative sources for why this is a good idea on a trailer that likely has ST type tires.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I'd like to see everyone that is giving recommendations for lower than max tire pressure to cite authoritative sources for why this is a good idea on a trailer that likely has ST type tires.
We all have to choose our “experts”. The expert blogger that you provided a link to also advises motorhome owners to inflate their tires to at least 10% above what is recommended by the tire manufacturers inflation chart.

Can you cite a manufacturer that recommends over-inflating their tires by 10% or more?
Old 07-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #12

Hey OP........

Load up that trailer with everything to go on camping trip
60 psi in tires

Take some sidewalk chalk and rub a wide stripe of chalk across tire thread
Then pull trailer Straight forward for 25' (parking lots are good place)
Check the chalk mark----
Rubbed off on edges (inside/outside) tire under inflated
Rubbed off in center area --tire over inflated
Rubbed off across the thread ----go camping
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
We all have to choose our “experts”. The expert blogger that you provided a link to also advises motorhome owners to inflate their tires to at least 10% above what is recommended by the tire manufacturers inflation chart.

Can you cite a manufacturer that recommends over-inflating their tires by 10% or more?
(Please don't shoot the messenger )

I'm not making any claims about MH tires. You should ask Mr Marble your questions about his opinions.

I'm not claiming any expertise, education, or training. I just know that dual axle trailer tires suffer from forces that are far greater than most any other road tire application, and since Mr Marble has taken apart and done post mortem exams on more tires than I'll ever use, you should ask him for the reasons for his opinions. All I can do is try to make sure that I find people that are as expert in their fields as possible for info on how to use certain things in specific applications.

And I always try to cite an authoritative source specific to the facts of an issue if I have one.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #14

Quote:
This horse can’t be killed.

Do you know the weight of your trailer?

The maximum pressure, as stated on the tire, will support the maximum load, as stated on the tire.

Did you ask the mechanic how he determined that 60psi was the proper pressure?

Just got the trailer a few days ago so I don't have a loaded weight. Dry weight with 1/3 tank fresh and full propane was about 5,200.

Based on what we loaded in the trailer we just traded, it will weight around 6,000 +/- a couple of hundred lbs.

So, when I check the tire specs, that weight will be more or less distributed between four tires for purposes of determining the tire capacity, correct?

Brenwol1 is offline   Reply With Quote