Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
Unhappy Pressure tires on my F250

Hello everyone:
Ready to head for home once again.I'd like to know:My
truck's pressure by the driver's seat says the following,front tires 50 and
rear 70,air preassure.Since I bought the truck I have changed tires,at the
time BF GOODRICH.Is it safe to go by the pressure indicated by Ford on different tires?Many ,many thanks(just want to be safe)araucano.

araucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
If they are the exact same size and load range I would say yes- BUT, your actual load on the tires is the determining factor.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Pond Piggies Club
When I put the new tires on my Dodge 2500, the Goodyear dealer told me to use the door sticker because I didn't change size or load range. Mine is 60 PSI on the steer axle, and 70 PSI on the drive axle.

Good Luck,
R. "Grumpy" Bond
2004 Dodge Diesel, 2012 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS
VFW Life Member, NRA Endowment Member.
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
As long as you didn't go down from a load range E to a load range D, you should be able to handle the 70 PSIG in the rear tires safely. Especially if you went to a larger tire size, however, you should use the load/inflation tables for that particular tire size and load rating to set the inflation pressure for a given load.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by araucano View Post
Is it safe to go by the pressure indicated by Ford on different tires?
Assuming the new tires are the same size (or bigger) and load range as the ones on that door sticker, then safe? Yes, but smart? No. Not smart because your tires will usually be over-inflated for the load on the tires.

The PSI on the door sticker is for a truck loaded to the gills. But when unloaded or lightly loaded, you need less PSI in the tires for maximum life of the tires.

Load/inflation tables for tires sold in the USA are developed by the Tire and Rim Assn (RMA). The current RMA yearbook with all the current load/inflation tables will cost you $90 from RMA. But most tire dealers will have the tables available from various tire manufacturers. And here's an older link that includes the tables as of a few years ago. If your tire size in included in that link, then use it.

Then scroll way down in the index on the left side to Load/Inflation Tables for LT tires.

Example: Your current tire size is LT275/70R18E, here's the load/inflation table:

PSI . Max load
--- . -------------
35 . 2070
40 . 2270
45 . 2470
50 . 2680
55 . 2840
60 . 3020
65 . 3195
70 . 3360
75 . 3530
80 . 3640

Weigh the truck on a CAT scale and determine the load on each front and rear tire.

But when loaded for bear if the scale says you have between 4940 and 5360 pounds on the front axle, then you need 50 PSI in the front tires. When unloaded, if your front axle weighs 4,140 or less, then you need only 35 PSI on each front tire.

If the scale shows you have less than 4140 pounds on the rear axle, then you have less than 2070 pounds on each rear tire and need 35 PSI in the rear tires. If the scale shows you have 6,000 pounds on the rear axle, then you have 3,000 pounds on each rear tire and need 60 PSI
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote