Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2019, 08:28 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
comparing non def, egr, dpf to ones with is like comparing potatoes to apples. you need to fully understand the difference before dropping that kind of cabbage. also the difference between each yr. no matter which brand if buying used. there’s a reason why thousands of people delete
Would you say that this is the difference between being a good dependable daily driver and a bad undependable daily driver?
Zoomschwortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2019, 08:35 AM   #114
laj

yes. those don’t like to be driven around town with a lot of traffic idling. rush hr. kills em.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:51 AM   #115
laj

what i would do is pick the brand that appeals to you. find a dealer that sells a lot of p/u’s. go to the service department, see what’s on the racks. ask the ser. man. what their in for and how many miles on them. if he won’t talk to you, find another dealer. you don’t want to use them. most i have found are very open about the problems they find. better to see now then later.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:54 AM   #116

IDLING is the #1 cause of emission issues in diesel trucks these days. There is also a lot of talk about bio fuel causing build up in fuel rails. I am a trucker and have an auxiliary power unit to run my AC when parked if needed and don’t idle my truck. Solved the majority of issues for me. Obviously there is no fool proof solution for vehicle issues but that helped me out.
RG0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #117

If it was me, I would go with the original, Cummins... But, this is kinda like an oil thread...
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:24 AM   #118

Test drive all of them. The one that feels right is the one to get. I was a Ford guy for most of my life. Bought a new 2010 F150 XLT. 6 way power seats. Never could get comfortable.
Bought my 1st ever Ram 2500 CDT in 2012. It was a simple low end ST with the added options like carpet, chrome package etc. No power seat stuff. I found it to be more comfortable than the XLT. My wife says the same as well. Never have cared for GM trucks so I've never test drove any of them.
Point being they're all good trucks. They all get recalls and have shortcomings. I just picked the one that is comfortable for me to sit in. My 2012 never had any squeaks or rattles in the 6 years I owned it so I went with another Ram. I'm sure Ford and GM are just as nice so like I say for me it's about the driving feel. After all that's what you do when you get in it.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomschwortz View Post
Pro/Cons of 2018-newer Ram vs Chev vs Ford diesel pickups?

I will be buying a 2018 or newer 3/4 or 1 ton pickup within 3 months. I have been waiting to see reviews on the 2020 7.3 F250 before making a decision, because it SHOULD do everything I need it to do when pulling my TT, but, if the fuel mileage on the new 7.3 is not to my liking, I will probably choose a diesel truck instead.

I am not a brand loyalist when it comes to Ford, Chevy or Ram and I have no doubt that each has it’s Pros and Cons, only, I have no idea what the pros and cons are for these new diesel trucks.

What can you tell me about reliability, ease of maintenance, repair costs, fuel efficiency, maintenance costs, etc?

Why is one brand better or worse than another brand?

I thank you for your time and consideration.
Ken
We all have our opinion and most are just that an opinion on what we like or think is better. I started to say buy a Ford F450 but you are towing a huge trailer so that is more truck than you need.

All of the new 2020 trucks are pretty darn nice trucks and any of us with some age will agree much nicer than any of our first vehicles we owned. I am partial to Ford so I will clarify this up front. But if were you I would first go drive all three trucks to see how they feel to you. You are behind the wheel and fit and feel are most important. I would order my truck exactly how I want it and not buy off the lot. Spec the truck to give you more capability than you need. I mean that if you plan to tow a 10,000 pound trailer spec to tow 12 with the amenities you want. All of our opinions are somewhat biased so take others have said and go test drive done trucks and order what you want this way you won’t have any regrets. Good luck and be safe out there.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #120

Im not a truck expert, though I do love them. Thought I should tell this story about my 2014 f350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty. I bought is used in 2016. 2017 I was driving about 50mph on NB California hwy 17 ( 4 lane mountain road) from Santa Cruz toward San Jose. Without warning my steering wheel jerked to the right (I was in the northbound left lane). I had no control at all the steering wheel which was now free spinning with no results. I did a 360 degree over both northbound lanes of traffic. Spun to south facing hit and slid along a concrete barrier which prevented me from going over a steep ravine. The spin continued until I was once again facing north and hit a concrete barrier which prevented me from crossing over into the southbound lanes. I will say this, that truck kept me safe! I did not have one scratch on me....though I thought I was going to die or kill someone. By the grace of god or the universe no one else was hit.

After a forensic investigation by State Farm and Ford Company it was determined that something broke in the steering box (sorry I dont remember what it was called). Ford's determination was that someone must have hit a speed bump at one time and caused a weakening. Really?!!! a F350 super duty weakened by a speed bump?!!! In the end my insurance company did not want to take a big company like Ford to court and just paid me out and State Farm took the loss. Ford walked away from all responsibility...and all the spot light of having a defective truck.

I am grateful to be alive and will never, ever purchase another ford. How many more 2014's are being driven around with the same defect. Also I did have a few experiences with that truck... the death wabble that people are writing about online where the whole truck and steering wheel goes into this wierd and violent shimmy until you slow down and let it reset. Just a heads up that if this is happening to you have the steering box checked. Ford did have recalls for steering box issues on the f250's, f350's years 2010 on...but my Vin # did not show up on their recalls.

Want to share this so you can factor it into your decision.
aprilssong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:13 PM   #121

My only advice is to pick a truck sized for potential future RV upsizing. Although you stated it would be for a travel trailer don't preclude a fifth wheel. I think you will find that the followers of this site have gone from pop-ups to trailers, both tag along and fifth wheels, - then onto motorhomes and maybe back to a fifth wheel.
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #122

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilssong View Post
Im not a truck expert, though I do love them. Thought I should tell this story about my 2014 f350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty. I bought is used in 2016. 2017 I was driving about 50mph on NB California hwy 17 ( 4 lane mountain road) from Santa Cruz toward San Jose. Without warning my steering wheel jerked to the right (I was in the northbound left lane). I had no control at all the steering wheel which was now free spinning with no results. I did a 360 degree over both northbound lanes of traffic. Spun to south facing hit and slid along a concrete barrier which prevented me from going over a steep ravine. The spin continued until I was once again facing north and hit a concrete barrier which prevented me from crossing over into the southbound lanes. I will say this, that truck kept me safe! I did not have one scratch on me....though I thought I was going to die or kill someone. By the grace of god or the universe no one else was hit.

After a forensic investigation by State Farm and Ford Company it was determined that something broke in the steering box (sorry I dont remember what it was called). Ford's determination was that someone must have hit a speed bump at one time and caused a weakening. Really?!!! a F350 super duty weakened by a speed bump?!!! In the end my insurance company did not want to take a big company like Ford to court and just paid me out and State Farm took the loss. Ford walked away from all responsibility...and all the spot light of having a defective truck.

I am grateful to be alive and will never, ever purchase another ford. How many more 2014's are being driven around with the same defect. Also I did have a few experiences with that truck... the death wabble that people are writing about online where the whole truck and steering wheel goes into this wierd and violent shimmy until you slow down and let it reset. Just a heads up that if this is happening to you have the steering box checked. Ford did have recalls for steering box issues on the f250's, f350's years 2010 on...but my Vin # did not show up on their recalls.

Want to share this so you can factor it into your decision.

I have owned several Ford trucks in the past , but , i have also had quite a few in the shop with the steering wheel off-center , caused by the sector shaft (pitman) being twisted where it comes out of the steering gear. Usually due to a skidding impact to a front wheel. An alignment shop can adjust to recenter the steering wheel but the shaft is definitely weakened. Looking between the arm and gear the splines will be angled instead of straight , indicating the twist I’m speaking of. Not Ford bashing , but in +40 years I have never seen this in another car line.
Charlie
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #123

Cummins Diesel are best.

The only reliable Ford is the older 7.3l GMC/Chevy complicated too.
Cummins is best. better is 2011 02012 lower mile Cummins with no DEF> just wait for right one used.
It will actually go up in value.
Dog traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #124

Why a diesel? If your not going to be putting thousands of miles on the vehicle there is no need for a diesel unless you just want one.
Culpkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog traveler View Post
The only reliable Ford is the older 7.3l GMC/Chevy complicated too.
Cummins is best. better is 2011 02012 lower mile Cummins with no DEF> just wait for right one used.
It will actually go up in value.
Thats great if you are only buying an engine. The biggest problem with the cummins is that its wrapped in a total turd of a truck.
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:22 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
I have owned several Ford trucks in the past , but , i have also had quite a few in the shop with the steering wheel off-center , caused by the sector shaft (pitman) being twisted where it comes out of the steering gear. Usually due to a skidding impact to a front wheel. An alignment shop can adjust to recenter the steering wheel but the shaft is definitely weakened. Looking between the arm and gear the splines will be angled instead of straight , indicating the twist I’m speaking of. Not Ford bashing , but in +40 years I have never seen this in another car line.
Charlie
Dont buy a TJ wrangler. Learning how to do self alignment and re-center is one of the first things you need to know.
Dodge/daimler/fiat/jeep was famous for week front ends and steering for decades.
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, ford