RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #1

Pro Trailer Backup Assist

Any use this with their F150?

Thanks

bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #2

Talked to an experienced RV'r and he downsized to a new 150 with smaller trailer, about 7K. Was a long time long haul trucker also. He says it's he best thing he has used. Makes the whole process easier. Even for someone with his years of experience.
My assumption is that it will be a huge success because a lot of people can't remember which way to turn the wheel when backing.

09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
My assumption is that it will be a huge success because a lot of people can't remember which way to turn the wheel when backing.
OMG. These people shouldn't drive. Put your hand on the bottom of the wheel, move it in the direction you want the trailer's tail to go. Sit up straight and use your mirrors. A chimp can be trained to do it.

"I'm a great pilot, I just can't remember how to land."
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It looks very good, but I could see it hitting something with the FRONT of the truck while backing into a tight spot.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
OMG. These people shouldn't drive. Put your hand on the bottom of the wheel, move it in the direction you want the trailer's tail to go. Sit up straight and use your mirrors. A chimp can be trained to do it.

I understand what you are saying but there have been advancements to make our lives easier. This happens to be one that helps those who tow trailers. I would assume that my friend has much more experience than you with his OTR experience. His comment was that it made a process easier for those who have never done it. I don't want to go back in time.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:46 PM   #6

a CHIMP?! REALLY? Didn't know I had been monkeying around for 40 years. Seriously, after seeing what some of you professional camper drivers call driving...maybe a chimp would do better. Well slow night at home, guess I will just go swing around the neighborhood.
sejac55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post

I think this will be a standard option in a few years. It's a great advancement. I predict that it will be as common on tow vehicles in 10 years as cruise control is today on all vehicles.

I'm a relative novice when backing up trailers so I really appreciate the technology assistance, especially backing up long driveways.

BTW, I am a great pilot. A good autopilot can make a difficult approach in zero visibility weather a much less stressful and a much safer arrival.
Flyct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #8

Even for those with years of experience with all kinds of trailers, I can't see how this is a bad thing or something to be scoffed at. It's one extra layer of certainty. I welcome these advancements- anything to make the whole process less stressful for both the inexperienced and pros alike is a good thing in my book.

OP, I have no experience with it although one of the guys I work with just got a new F150 that has this feature and says he loves it- works as designed.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:44 PM   #9

IMHO, nearly all "enhancements" are good, but it helps to have a backup plan in the event they should fail.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
...and if you rely on your autopilot to always fly the approach, and this night it fails, you have no experience or currency to fly it yourself. Now what? A tough approach is a lot easier if you have the experience and currency.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #11

I have backed up various boat trailers for years without any major problems. When I recently got into camping and bought a new F150 it came with this option. I was a little skeptical but after trying it on my TT, boat and jetski I think it has value. It is a little scary when you give control over to it and your steering wheel moves by itself but you get used to it. The only issue I have had is reaching for the knob to turn the trailer while watching the screen and the trailer not moving correctly because I grabbed the radio knob by mistake since it is very close to the backup assist knob! I got the max two package on the truck and it came with this and the brake controller.
TellicoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:18 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i tested it in a dealer lot...WOW

and you cant hit anything with the front as the sensors already see world around you.

i wish it was an option with the expedition.
i bet boat ramps will be more peaceful

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote