Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Problem installing Blue Ox Bedsaver™

Since I once forgot to close the hitch before towing an old bumper-pull travel trailer, I thought a Bedsaver might be a smart investment for my 5th-wheel hitch. This Blue Ox product protects your truck in case the trailer king pin slides out of the hitch before the front jacks are down.

The Bedsaver is supposed to slip over the hitch crossarm and bolt in place -- maybe a 20-minute job. But on the unit I received the brackets that fit the crossarm are misaligned. Laying a straightedge across the flat surfaces that rest on top of the hitch crossarm shows that they are tilted downward along their inner edges and are not in the same plane. This prevents insertion of the outboard bolts. Since the crossarm tapers outward, I was able to mount the Bedsaver by spreading the arms with a jack (maybe a ton of force) until the crossarm no longer obstructed the outboard holes. The installation was far from the simple "place and bolt" procedure outlined in the installation manual.

Has anyone else had this problem? I sent Blue Ox an email about it.
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:33 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KTM Guy...Did you hear back from Blue Ox yet?

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
I got the following message this morning. It sounds like they take customer feedback pretty seriously. I'll post more when they contact me again.

"Your e-mail has been forwarded to our Product Management Team as well as the VP of Marketing and Sales, and, the President of Blue Ox. Thanks for taking the time to write this e-mail."
Old 03-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
This note came in from Blue Ox while I was out skiing today. I must say they took my comment seriously. I will send them the measurement they request. They seem like a good company.

Blue Ox note follows:
I want to thank you for your comments about the installation of your Bedsaver. We have looked into the situation here at Blue Ox and here is the report that was given to me:

"The Jig and Bedsaver in the jig match the print. We also check finish goods inventory and found no issues with any dimensions.
His recommendations for tack weld are currently what we do.”

It was also brought to my attention that some hitches do vary in size slightly so some modification can be possible. Since you had to spread the arms apart can you measure the distance from the outside arm to the other and send that measurement to me? I will forward that on to our production department for further review.

We appreciate feedback from customers which helps us in making a quality product. In appreciation of your comments we would like to send you a complimentary folding trash bag. If you would provide your address I will send that out to you.

Thank you for being a Blue Ox customer.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #5

I installed one on my hitch and did not have any problems. Went on like the instructions showed but I did have to rheem out a couple of holes to get the bolts to go in freely. I did have to drop it one bolt hole on my hitch which is a 16k Draw-tite. It still is there if ever needed but clears when hitching and un-hitching.

Good peace of mind for a guy who dropped his twice. Ouch!
Old 05-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Peace of mind is right! Twice I forgot to lock the hitch on my bumper-pull travel trailer. Luckily it had enough tongue weight that it didn't come off the ball. I shudder to think what might have happened.

The moment I saw the Bedsaver I knew they made it for me.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #7

First it could never happen to me, then it could never happen to me twice. I walked inside and ordered the bed saver after that.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #8

Something must be wrong with the Bed Saver, or you got the wrong model for your hitch. Mine went on in about 15 minutes and lined up perfectly.

2006 Cougar 289 EFS
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:00 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I confirmed with Blue Ox it's the right model. It just has a slight misalignment. No big deal if it were wooden, but with steel even a sixteenth of an inch can mean trouble.

Now that it's on I never think about it anymore.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #10

I know mine brings be great piece of mind! Anyone can make a mistake or equipment can fail and I don't want to be on the receiving end of a costly repair.

2006 Cougar 289 EFS
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote