Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #1

Procedure for dually tire rotation

What is the recomended procedure for rotating tires on a dually? After my first rotation and the dealer scratching the heck out of my wheels I have heard nothing but different stories. Do you just transfer right to left? or as I was just told by a tire dealer leave tires alone and wear out the fronts 2 to 1 over the rears? Thanks for the advice.
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Rotate the front tires side to side about once a year. Do not rotate the rear tires. You'll probably have to buy new front tires when the rear tires are barely worn. So the second time you replace the front tires, take a good look at the rears and replace them too if necessary.

Inspect the rear tires at every oil change. You're looking for uneven wear or excessive wear on the duals. If you find uneven or excessive wear, then the first suspect is your shocks.

I'm assuming that you keep a good eye in the duals to be certain they are properly inflated for the load they are hauling. Get a good load/inflation table for your size tires and use it religiously, along with a CAT scale ticket that shows the weight on your front and rear axles for both conditions of unloaded and loaded for bear. Tires are too expensive for you to not keep them properly inflated for the load they haul. Proper inflation per the load/inflation table for dually tires is often less than 40 PSI for an unloaded pickup.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcrew18 View Post
What is the recomended procedure for rotating tires on a dually? After my first rotation and the dealer scratching the heck out of my wheels I have heard nothing but different stories. Do you just transfer right to left? or as I was just told by a tire dealer leave tires alone and wear out the fronts 2 to 1 over the rears? Thanks for the advice.
Sure am hoping the dealer fixed what they scratched up.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #4

My Michelin rep told me to if you cannot rotate the rears to the front just swap the rears from side to side. Rear tires will get a wear pattern and swapping from side to side will help to increase tire life. We swap from side to side the rears and the fronts. Every 15k for fronts and 30k for rears.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcrew18 View Post
Why on earth would you pay someone to rotate your tires.. Now I didn't fall off the turnip truck here, but don't they rotate when your going down the road?

Ok, ok.. So I was told if there is no unusual wear on the rears leave them alone.. pay attention to the front steer tires..
Incognito. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #6

Almost forgot, at the half life of the front tires they are rim swapped from side to side so the wearing outer edge is rotated to the less wearing inner edge.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Almost forgot, at the half life of the front tires they are rim swapped from side to side so the wearing outer edge is rotated to the less wearing inner edge.
Then that means an alignment is in order.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #8

Outside rear to front on each side and fronts to outside rear.Inside left alone.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Outside rear to front on each side and fronts to outside rear.Inside left alone.
The experts don't agree with that strategy. Because the front tires wear faster, when you rotate a front tire to a rear position, the two dual tires no longer match as to wear. That will cause faster wear of the mis-matched dually tires.

Fleet operators have tried all sorts of combinations, and determined that the most cost effective strategy is to rotate the front tires side to side, and leave the rears alone. Then they buy two front tires first, then when the fronts wear out the second time, it's usually about time to replace the rears too.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The experts don't agree with that strategy. Because the front tires wear faster, when you rotate a front tire to a rear position, the two dual tires no longer match as to wear. That will cause faster wear of the mis-matched dually tires.

Fleet operators have tried all sorts of combinations, and determined that the most cost effective strategy is to rotate the front tires side to side, and leave the rears alone. Then they buy two front tires first, then when the fronts wear out the second time, it's usually about time to replace the rears too.
My medium duty ambulances are different. The front tires last the longest and the dual drive tires need to be changed first. So far we get 90-95K miles on drive tires with fronts over 100K. I have a few trucks right now with 120-130K on original front tires.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
Then that means an alignment is in order.
That is something that would seem likely but not. Solid front axles do have a slight amount of positive camber so the outside does wear a little faster than the inner. I just had all my fleet ambulances go out for an alignment and little to no adjustments were needed. In fact the ones I paid the most attention to were the ones that I swap the tires rim to rim do to outer edge wear. Camber in specs and maybe a slight adjustment to toe.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #12

Discount tire is who recommended that I change as stated-my truck is 4x4 and I run XPS traction tires.This swap seems to equalize tire wear,most front wear is on the outside so duallies appear to be mostly equal.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #13

As a note-I got 50,000 miles on my tires and replaced with same after tires were 10 years old.Had them longer than I should have but no cracking and still had good tread.Discount tire will not work on tires 10 years old,so replaced them.Young son is an AVP for Discount Tire-I listen to what he tells me-when I remember to ask!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #14

My fronts always chop out on inside. Both of my dually done this. Was told by alignment shop that all dually done this. Truck tries to go straight when turning. the wide stance of the rear does this. This chops the inside of tires.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote