Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #1

I have a Prodigy controller installed in my Silverado, and tow a HitchHiker FW. The controller has worked for 2 years, but now I am getting an intermittant OL indicator on the controller. When applying the brakes, the controller will start to work, then OL flashes, and then controller works again. Sometimes OL is on when braking, and brakes don't work. The instruction manual doesn't give any suggestions as as to what to look for. I have swapped the controller with another Prodigy, but get the same results. Any help will be appreciated. Ron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #2

I have a Prodigy controller installed in my Silverado, and tow a HitchHiker FW. The controller has worked for 2 years, but now I am getting an intermittant OL indicator on the controller. When applying the brakes, the controller will start to work, then OL flashes, and then controller works again. Sometimes OL is on when braking, and brakes don't work. The instruction manual doesn't give any suggestions as as to what to look for. I have swapped the controller with another Prodigy, but get the same results. Any help will be appreciated. Ron

Old 10-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #3

Perhaps you should pull the wheels and check the brakes. Magnets wear pretty fast.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:19 PM   #4

Inspect the brake wire that runs through the axles. The RV manufacturer drills a small hole in each end of an axle tube, then runs the brake wire through the tube. Since the inside edge of the drilled hole cannot be de-burred easily, they don't. This sharp edge cuts through the wire insulation, creating an intermittent direct short to ground as the trailer moves, and the OL condition on your controller.
This may not be your particular case, but it is the majority of such complaints.
My solution is to run a new wire, wire-tied to the outside of the axle.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #5

You have an intermittent short to ground. Whether it's in the truck harness, trailer harness, or a bad solenoid will take some troubleshooting to determine. In a case like this, a detailed inspection may well yield more information than electrical testing.

Sorry I don't have a magic fix.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the very same issue and it was a brake wire shorting to ground at the trailer wheel. Like Ray said, they go thru a small hole and during travel vibration causes the wire insulation to wear thru.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Under Q&A on their web sight:

http://www.tekonsha.com/faqprodigy.html

it says:

Q.) The Display shows "OL".A.) The Prodigy® detects an overload caused by a short to ground on the brake wire (Blue wire). The Prodigy has to have a complete circuit from the control to the brake magnets to the ground and has to have the proper resistance. Possible Causes:

· Short to ground on the brake circuit wire.
· Trailer has electric over hydraulic brakes.
· Faulty control.

Hope this gives a clue and some help.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:56 AM   #8

Had the same problem... checked everything per Tekosha instructions. All magnets were at the correct resistence. All wires looked good. This unit was about a year and a half old. It worked fine until about 50 miles of driving. Then I would get the intermittent OL. It would then only work under 30 mph after the 50 mile or so run. Took it back to camping world and they gave me a new one.

What I don't like about the features this unit offers is that if it detects something wrong.. it quits working. This might be good in some situations but in the case of a bad magnet, I would rather stop w/ 3 brake shoes than none!

2006 2500 Dodge Megacab 5.9 Cummins, 48RE, Superglide
MrFixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote