Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
wondering which programmer/chip would be best for my 99 f-350 7.3 ? thanks for any feedbacks

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
wondering which programmer/chip would be best for my 99 f-350 7.3 ? thanks for any feedbacks

Old 05-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #3

Personally I am not a fan of programmers. They can place undue amounts of stress on a motor and brake things really fast. Remember if you add HP and torque, he transmission already a weak spot of early Fords will likely be the first to go south. Next will be whatever is already weak. Whyt not save the dollars spend trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear and buy a newer truck with more power from the factory?
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hardly consider the 7.3L a sows ear. On my 2002 7.3L and the previous 1997 7.3l, I used a SuperChips Micro Tuner and kept it set on the Tow Safe setting and never a problem,...but man does that wake up the beast. Much better throttle response. Ford never programed that engine for it's full potential. I would recommend you get a pyro (exhaust temp) and a boost gauge with it. Also helps to put a less restrictive exhaust, 4" from the turbo back.

Any to be very truthful, I would not touch one of the new Ford diesels. It does have more power, but they have had a host of problems, like blown turbos, blown head gaskets and bad injectors.

For more info on the Ford diesel, check The Diesel Stop,

Ken
Old 05-07-2007, 05:58 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
450Donn, thanks for your input, but you must not have a lot about the 7.3 diesel. This is NOT a sows ear as you call it LOL!! even factory stock as it is now, except for the 4" exhaust, and improved air flow system, and addition of gauges, this "sows ear" towing a Montana 5th wheel, goes up 6% grades with ease at 60 mph, 8% grades 3 1/2 miles long without pushing it at 45 mph. Not that I am in a hurry, but just like the extra power. but thanks for your input, I do appreaciate it, even tho you dont know what the **** you talking about LOL!
Old 05-07-2007, 06:05 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Thanks TXiceman, seems we both on the same track, besides my transmission has been built to take abused. I used to do some drag racing in bowling Green ky back in the late 50's and early 60's as a young "gun" ha! So I do have a little experience with engines and tweaking more HP and torque from them, thanks again for the input
Old 05-07-2007, 06:10 AM   #7

I was making a medafore not a direct analogy to your 7.3 Again, I am not a fan of after market tuners unless you are prepared to spend a lot of dollars on more upgrades. Early Fords were never known for the strength of their transmissions, so again I would guess that unless you spend some money on it or already have a programmer will put more stress on places than you don't expect.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #8

I must ask 450Donn after you make a medafor,where do you put it on a 7.3 and does it help?
Old 05-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #9

http://webpages.charter.net/tiptonj/contact.htm here is probably the best of the best in chips and tuners. He will custom burn what you want with the consideration of what equipment your truck now has and what you are going to use it for.
I am using one of their older flip chips (55hp and 80hp) and this is my reaction to their product.
If you want something a little less wild, I would highly recommend the Edge, Juice with Attitude. It will give you 75hp in 5 increments, gauges and defueling protection for high exhaust temps and wide open throttle shifts. Its a little price heavy but its a nice package of all the gauges and power one may want.
I'm running both and love them. All the power one could ever want at a flip of a chip or push of a button.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:20 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Check this website out.
http://www.quadzillapower.com/products/1999.html
I have a Quadzilla XZT on my 2004 Dodge and I am very satisfied with it. I would suggest that you at least get a guage to monitor your exhaust gas temperature. You can damage your turbo if you run it too hot.

Bill
Old 05-22-2007, 04:59 AM   #11

I looked into a many programmers. It's really not worth the expense. Your only going to see a 1-2 mpg gain and for that risk of busting something else, it's really not worth it. Parts for deisels can get expensive very fast and they never fail in a fully stocked auto parts parking lot. Sure, you'll get a few more HP out of the deal, but so what. Isn't rv'ing suppose to be so you slow down and see the world instead of blowing through it like your late for work?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:19 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted May 22, 2007 08:59 AM Hide Post
I looked into a many programmers. It's really not worth the expense. Your only going to see a 1-2 mpg gain and for that risk of busting something else, it's really not worth it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've been running a chip or programmer since about 2 months after I purchased my truck in 2001. I think it is some of the best money I've spent and haven't busted anything.
I also think the mpg gain doesn't happen. Even with that said, good money spent. I have found that those that have had chips or programmers speak highly of them and the people that haven't had them or experienced what they do for a truck don't have much good to say about them. I wonder why that is.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:23 AM   #13

www.dp-tuner.com

that's what I run and absolutely love it. I have stock plus 3 other programs on the chip. They sell programers too.

It is very strong, very safe programming and the customer service is top notch

superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #14

if you can stand lurking in a forum full of horsepower freaks, here is a good place.

You will be able to ask who is running what, and get every possible answer. So, if you want to ask about a specific programmer, someone there is running it. I will pretty much bet on it.

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote