Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2015, 07:29 AM   #1

Pull Winnebago Minnie with BMW X5d?

Newbie question.

I have been enjoying an RV (Sunseeker) for years but it's time to move on - too long in the tooth. Most of our trips are weekenders and I am looking for more of a TT for camping.

My sights are on a Winnebago Minnie 2451BHS.

My vehicle is a 2012 BMW X5d. I am new to towing and there are a lot of calculators out there / threads / etc. From what I can tell I should be able to tow this, but it's close.

I would love some thoughts from those more experienced than myself. What I know:
- Dry weight is 4880, BMW tow capacity is 6,000. I don't anticipate adding 1,000 pounds.
- In the UK the BMW is rated at 7,700 - seems to be more to do with the hitch
- Weight distribution is discouraged - I wonder if it would actually help?
- X5 seems to perform well for those who use it as a tow vehicle.

Two thoughts:
- The Tow limit and trailer weight seem close - maybe too close for comfort?
- The actual tow limit (vehicle capability) is 7,700 - so I should be fine.

Would love some thoughts on this - any links on where I can learn more so that I can help myself would be great too. And yes - I am reading the Stickies at the top.

Thanks!
vman4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 12:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

First thought. The BMW x5 is an SUV, so it has the same limitations as other SUVs - not enough payload capacity to both haul a wagon load of people and stuff and tow a decent-size trailer at the same time without being overloaded.

2012 BMW X5
Payload 1,290 lbs.
Max Trailer Weight 6.000 lbs. towing capacity

Minni Winnie 2451 BHS
gross weight 7,000 pounds. Wet and loaded weight of a lightly-loaded trailer ready for camping will be about 6,000 pounds. Tongue weight when wet and loaded to 6,000 pounds gross trailer weight will be about 750 pounds.

Payload is your limiter. You probably cannot tow anywhere near the750 pounds tongue weight of a 6,000-pound trailer without exceeding the GVWR of your X5.

Max payload of the X5 minus 750 pounds tongue weight leaves only 540 pounds for the weight of driver, passenger(s), pets, tools, and anything else that would be in the SUV when towing.

Second thought: In a nutshell, that's too heavy a trailer for your X5 to tow. With that trailer, you'll be right up against, and probably exceed, the pulling power of the X5 drivetrain (GCWR or tow rating) and the hauling capacity of the X5 suspension and brakes (GVWR or payload capacity) .

Third thought:
Quote:
Weight distribution is discouraged - I wonder if it would actually help?
Ignore that piece of uninformed nonsense. Any trailer that grosses over 5,000 pounds requires not just a weight-distributing hitch, but a very good weight-distributing hitch with excellent sway control.

Your very short tow vehicle dragging a 24' TT will be a disaster waiting to happen anyway, so increase the odds in your favor by installing one of these four weight-distributing/sway control hitches:

Reese Strait Line Trunnion Bar with built in dual-cam sway control

Equal-I-Zer

Blue Ox

Husky Centerline

Reese and Husky also make and sell cheaper hitches, but don't be tempted to buy a cheap hitch. If you can find it online for less than $500, it's a cheap hitch. List price for the four hitches above is around $1,000, and you can find them for $500 to $650 including the required adjustable shank. For example:
http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...e/RP66083.html

Fourth thought. New to towing, you may not know about an excellent discount online source for towing equipment. Here's three different but similar receiver hitches made for the X5, for around $200 each:
http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2012_BMW_X5.htm
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #3

I towed mine with my Touareg TDI. It did fine with air suspension.
You will want to max out your rear tire pressure to carry the load of hitch weight and passangers/cargo.

The WDH screws up the self leveling air suspension. I did not use it and it was totally fine.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

Ignore that piece of uninformed nonsense. Any trailer that grosses over 5,000 pounds requires not just a weight-distributing hitch, but a very good weight-distributing hitch with excellent sway control.

Your very short tow vehicle dragging a 24' TT will be a disaster waiting to happen anyway, so increase the odds in your favor by installing one of these four weight-distributing/sway control hitches:

Uninformed nonsense???
This is the same as what it said in my owners manual. I never used a WDH on my Touareg and have towed stuff that would make most half-ton pickups cringe.

The X5 has the same wheelbase as a Tahoe and many other large SUVs. It also has much less rear overhang, which moves the hitch closer to the axle, so less leverage.
The X5 also has large, low profile tires with stiff sidewalls, firm suspension and massive brakes... all of which make it work great as a tow vehicle.

Food for thought:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	1409
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	103760  
Old 08-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #5

I tow a 27 Bullet with my X5M. They are more than capable, but the key is weight. Buy something that fits in the towing range.
PasoRobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post

Uninformed nonsense???
Old SW is cocksure, ain't he?
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not enough. Never use dry weight, that leads to disaster. And you forgot to mention, anything other than the driver and tank of fuel, anything else you put in your BMW reduces your payload. You are overloaded before you even leave the barn.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vfox View Post
Not enough. Never use dry weight, that leads to disaster. And you forgot to mention, anything other than the driver and tank of fuel, anything else you put in your BMW reduces your payload. You are overloaded before you even leave the barn.
Thanks. I'd like to pull with an SUV and was considering a 2016 Range Rover, RR Sport, or RR LR4. The 2016's increased the tongue weight to 776.

So is 7760 / 776 good enough to pull this trailer (me, wife, 2 kids in the SUV) - or does the Winnebago Minnie really require a true tow vehicle?

Big thanks for the help so far.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman4639 View Post
Thanks. I'd like to pull with an SUV and was considering a 2016 Range Rover, RR Sport, or RR LR4. The 2016's increased the tongue weight to 776.
Ford Expeditions with the HD towing package are rated to pull 9200 pounds. The hitch receiver is rated at 920 pounds when using a WD hitch and payloads are fairly high; I've looked at some on dealer lots with payloads in the 1500-1600 pound range. A 3.73 locking rear axle is available for 2WD versions. The motor is the 3.5 Ecoboost twin turbo six that pulls like a mule (I pull my trailer with an Ecoboost F150) and has an excellent reputation among trailerites.

I think the Chevy Tahoe might have even higher payload than the Expedition. Both are rugged and no nonsense body on frame vehicles with a reputation for reliable service.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #10

Quote:

So is 7760 / 776 good enough to pull this trailer (me, wife, 2 kids in the SUV) - or does the Winnebago Minnie really require a true tow vehicle?

Big thanks for the help so far.
I have both... a very capable SUV and a 2500 pickup. For local campgrounds where you are not in the mountains of hundreds of miles of interstate, the SUV does great.
For the long distance stuff, when you pack for a week or three on the road, the truck does better.

So the question is: How are you mostly going to use it?
Old 08-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #11

Oh, and definitely get the air suspension!
Old 08-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
So the question is: How are you mostly going to use it?
Mostly weekend trips. 2-5 hour drive each way, 1-2 nights out. Locations will have hookups so I don't need to haul a lot of water.

A couple of time a year we go to Florida, long drives but only 1 night out each way - we stay with my parents once we arrive.

That's why I kinda think the BMW X5 will be ok. Trailer is 4880 - even if I add 1,000 pounds I am still under (if only just). Another SUV (7,000 / 700) seems like it would be more than OK.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
That's why I kinda think the BMW X5 will be ok. Trailer is 4880 - even if I add 1,000 pounds I am still under (if only just).
Above is why I started the thread. BMW and trailer place both said I should be fine. But it feels a little too close for me - many of the responses on this thread seem to think it's a bad idea too.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:10 PM   #14

There are a lot of people here that will tell you that if you don't have at least a 2500 pickup, you are a menace to the public.
While the weight and wheelbase of a big truck are great, it does not mean that these very capable sport-utes suck at towing. They are actually quite good because they have what American SUVs generally lack: firm suspension, big swaybars, big brakes, low profile/wide tire and ample power.
In several respects, I find my Touareg to be a better TV than my truck. This is what the general towing community doesn't know or understand.

If you are truly doing mostly local camping, I would go for.

The only thing to watch for is the payload capacity and weight rating of the rear tires. The trailer will likely have an actual hitch weight between 600 and 700lbs wet and ready to camp.

Tags
winnebago