Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #1

Pulled the trigger

on a new 2015 2500HD 6.0 (gas) chevy. first post for a newbie here. bought a used 2015 Forrest River Shasta Oasis 28ft w/2 sldes (at least 7000lbs loaded) and went on a first time trip to reelfoot lake w/my 2004 1500 5.3 and just wasn't happy with the way it pulled. any input on this truck would be appreciated. haven't signed papers yet.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with it.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:28 PM   #3

My neighbor has your truck with about the same weight. Your truck will pull it, but, if you are going out often I would look at a diesel.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldb187 View Post
on a new 2015 2500HD 6.0 (gas) chevy. first post for a newbie here. bought a used 2015 Forrest River Shasta Oasis 28ft w/2 sldes (at least 7000lbs loaded) and went on a first time trip to reelfoot lake w/my 2004 1500 5.3 and just wasn't happy with the way it pulled. any input on this truck would be appreciated. haven't signed papers yet.
You should have no problems with the truck. At this weight level you don't need a diesel.
I assume you axle ratio is close to 3.73 for good towing results.
A new Ford F-150 Ecoboost would yank that trailer around and you wouldn't know it was back there.
Personally I like your decision to go with the 2500 it gives you more capacity in the future.
We don't all need a diesel so we can go up the occasional hill that will cause the gasser to struggle more. For the number of times this happens you won't miss the diesel. With the increased cost, less reliability and much more expensive maintenance go gas and don't look back.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:58 AM   #5

Thanks for the comments. Not saying I won't go diesel at a later time but I am not at all familiar with that type of motor and doubt I'll be putting that many miles at this point. My new truck is a crew cab, long bed for hauling generator, fire wood and other equipment that I don't want to load in the camper. Not all that fond of the crowds in the RV parks. I'm keeping both trucks so the wife can follow pulling my boat. Which brings me to another question about hooking a boat to a TT. Guess that'll be another thread tough. Lot of good info on this site. Thanks to all of you seasoned/experienced campers.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:36 PM   #6

do you have DW bars?
Old 05-11-2015, 08:38 PM   #7

DW? I'm a newbie to all this and acronym challenged. LOL
Old 05-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #8

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
I believe he meant WD (weight distribution)...

Not DW (Dear Wife)...

Old 05-11-2015, 09:22 PM   #9

Quote:

Would have been WD = Weight distribution Bar... Sorry.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:17 AM   #10

Yes, I do have a WD and a DW. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:20 AM   #11

WD , more dependable than, DW, but would not be without either !!!
Old 05-12-2015, 06:32 AM   #12

At this weight level you do not NEED a diesel but I would consider one. There is no comparison between the diesel and gas. For one thing you get an Allison 6 speed trans. I will never buy another gas pickup after having this duramax. If you ever upgrade your camper you will have plenty of truck.
That being said, can you be more specific on what you mean by you are not happy with how it pulled. Did you run out of power?
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:44 AM   #13

Yes, as I stated earlier, this was my first trip with the camper besides towing it home. When I first hooked up to go camping I couldn't get the WD to level the truck or camper. I thought it was just because of the extra weight from loading it down w/supplies. It was a windy day and the swaying was very bad and white knuckle driving to say the least. Well, once I got to the camp ground I noticed the sink drain wasn't draining water and after much looking around I found that one of my gray tanks was totally full which, of course, added much weight. On the way home it was much better but I still just wanted a bigger truck (don't we all) so I can load more firewood, generator, fuel and anything else I can get in the long bed, crew cab truck. Maybe even my motorcycle or two. I'll probably eventually trade up for a duramax but wanted to try this first. Maintaining a diesel just seems like a lot of work to me. Afraid I'll forget to do something that was suppose to be done.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #14

Pulled the trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
You should have no problems with the truck. At this weight level you don't need a diesel.

I assume you axle ratio is close to 3.73 for good towing results.

A new Ford F-150 Ecoboost would yank that trailer around and you wouldn't know it was back there.

Personally I like your decision to go with the 2500 it gives you more capacity in the future.

We don't all need a diesel so we can go up the occasional hill that will cause the gasser to struggle more. For the number of times this happens you won't miss the diesel. With the increased cost, less reliability and much more expensive maintenance go gas and don't look back.

I can guarantee you the F150 "would know it's back there", this just isn't true. I pulled a large enclosed trailer, still less than 7000 pounds, with my F250 and I knew it was back there, especially stopping.

How's is the diesel less reliable and much more expensive to maintain? My 2011 F250 4x4 also got better gas mileage than my father in laws F150 2WD Eco Boost. Yes, the diesel cost more but there's no comparison between a diesel and a gas powered truck. Also, no comparison on resale value and longevity. I am currently on my second diesel truck and just don't get the "hard to maintain" part. You put diesel in it, change the oil, change the fuel filters occasionally and same with the DEF, which can be bought almost anywhere now. I don't think I'll ever own another gas truck.

C130 is offline   Reply With Quote