Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #1

Pulling Flagstaff 21fbrs with Ford Ranger

i'm picking up my new trailer this weekend. will be towing it with my 2011 ranger with the 4.0 v-6. towing capacity on my truck is 5700 the dealer recommended an 800- 8000lb reese pro wdh. the trailer it 21', dry weight is 3800. does this sound feasable. i have a hopkins proportional controller. bill ps. the longest tow will be bringing it home, about 250 miles. after that i will only be camping about 150 miles from home at the farthest. bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is the rear axle ratio in your Ranger. We pulled a similar trailer with a V-6 Ford Explorer (3.73 axle), several years back. It would pull it, but it was never a comfortable tow.

Forget dry weight. By the time you are loaded and ready for the road, plus the options on the trailer, you will probably be closer to 4800#.

Long trips were tiring even though we were under the max tow limits for the truck.

Your 5700# MAXIMUM tow rating is based on a base model truck with no options or accessories and only a 150# driver on board. For every pound you add to this "base" weight truck, you reduce the towing capacity by the same number of pounds.

As a guide line use 80% of the Max tow rating, to get you in the ball-park.

I think you will right at your maximum GVWR and GCWR with that trailer, but you need to weigh the truck to see where you stand weight wise.

Ken

Old 12-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #3

We used to do it years ago with an Aerostar and the 4.0 liter with tow package and the 3.73 rear end. Did many thousands of miles that way. It was a tough ride and pull but we never had any reliability or safety issues. The next TV we got was an F150 with a V8 and it sure made for a very nice relaxing toe caompared to the Aerostar. But hey we had some great family vacations and memories.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #4

3800 Dry doesn't include any extra accessories added to the trailer, but you have a 1900 lb gap between the actual weight of the trailer and max tow capacity of the truck - and you want to leave something to spare there. The gap will be closed by the weight of anything added to the weight of the truck AND to the trailer. The bigger the gap, the easier (safer) the tow.

You want an actual weight of the truck (loaded, fueled and ready to go), the trailer (ready to go) and tongue weight. That will tell you IF you can safely tow it.
Learn your trucks GCWR - the total it and trailer can weight, and subtract the actual trucks loaded weight to find out what is left to safely tow.
Pay attention to max axle weights and do not exceed them. I had to take a topper off a truck to safely tow my trailer.
There are other numbers to take into account too - Max hitch weight - carrying weight and weight distributing.

Bringing it home empty will tell you alot. You will get a feel if it is going to be enough tow vehicle or not. Slower will help your fuel economy ALOT! It will be safer too as you learn the feeling of towing it with the Ranger. Make sure the WDH is set up properly and trailer brakes work before leaving the lot. Question how and why things are adjusted the way they are.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #5

I had a 2004 Ranger FX4 with the 4 Litre 4:10 rear end 5 speed automatic extended cab 6 foot box
It would pull our Jayflight 22FB trailer which ball to bumper was 26.5 feet without any issue up short hills. Get into a longer grade and you ran out of floor space under the right foot and the motor was just screaming. On mostly level ground and staying under 55mph it was fine. On the short hills it climbed as good or better than a Chev 5.3 with a 30 foot trailer
I bought the extension mirrors to see past the trailer. That was the first issue.
Try backing it up and not being able to see past the front corners
Now where you will get the uncomfortable feeling is when you load it up for a weekend with your stuff My tanks where always empty to stay under the weight limit on the truck. On a two lane road have a cab over transport pull in snug behind the trailer. The trailer will start wagging the truck from the air bubble in front of the cabover truck! Not a comfortable feeling.
I was not over the weight limit on the truck on the tongue or the gross but that was being very careful on the loading part. I weighed it off at the local grain elevator to know what I had.
We made a deal in April on the 2013 F150 Screw FX4 I have now and no regrets
I actually got pretty good mileage out of the Ranger with the trailer 9-10mpg at 55Mph. The new truck gets the same mileage but is much more stable on the road and has way more umph going up any kind of hill
5* grade with the new truck and it shifts out of 6 into 5th part way up and just goes
If you can see clear to upgrade the truck it is well worth it
The daily drive mileage is marginally better on the new truck

RRII
Old 12-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #6

Our last TT was 20' and weighed 5,000 lbs loaded and 3800 dry. We towed it with an F150 with V6. It was awful. It was sorta okay on the flat, but on hills it was baaad. On the steep parts of the freeway, we were on the right shoulder with the semis crawling at 30-35 mph flat out. On gusty windy stretches, it was awful and could not maintain speed. The F150 was rated to tow 5800 lbs. Last summer with the F150, we went on an 1800 mile trip and the engine was running flat out most of the time and we ended up having to stop at Ford dealerships 3 times to get some engine repairs. Never had to do a thing to the engine until then. Towing near the max. tow capacity is generally not a good idea.

Your 800 lb WDH bars sound like they'll be okay. The best thing you can do is go to a scale and get your TV and TT weights and calc. the tongue wt. Do you know the payload capacity? You could have up to around 700 lbs of tongue wt.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #7

Towing

Well you probably read enough already but we bought a 2013 @21FBRS and the dealer said we would have no problem towing with our 6 cylinder Honda Pilot SUV. Well, it towed on the flat OK, but running small hills and ramps I could not stand to see the RPMs rev to 3800 and watch the fuel computer drop to 8. On the flats we were OK but always kept it about 55 mph to get about 10 mpg. That was when we were new, and we carried next to nothing in storage or supply We were already close to max. The trailer seemed huge compared to the Pilot, and we were concerned about safety. We went and bought and 2013 F250 Crewcab 4 x 4Power stroke and no more worries.

The storage areas quickly filled up. We must now be at 4500 lbs max carrying weight for the trailer. Its nice to have big towing power, and it makes it a real pleasure to drive,
Old 12-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #8

What the others have said. We bought an 18 1/2 foot fiver thinking our 97 4.0 Ranger would handle a 3500 lb trailer. It didn't work. We were in the right hand lane with the hazards on and pedal to the metal in the mountains, got passed by a fat kid on a bicycle, and the six percent down grades demanded my undivided attention. Two trips like that were enough.
An F-150 with the 5.4 with proper gearing (forget the eco boost you need torque) would be a better choice.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:30 AM   #9

thanks all for the great info. not what i wanted to hear, but what i expected. heres my situation. we now have a 16 foot skyline which we pulled this summer. it pulled fine, but was sluggish on hills. we stay very close ecause have done so much traveling in the last 15 years we are kind of sit and and relax and enjoy the outdoors folks now. we travel very light cuz we run with empty tanks. and very small payload. the only thing in the truck is a wood tongue block and my wifes 3 wheel bicycle. we never travel more than 100 miles from home, most of the time not over 40. there are so many nice places nearby in missouri we just don't need to go that far. i have pulled horse trailers many thousands of miles over the years because we showed quarter horses, and i hauled horse trailers for a friend of mine, often 2 at a time. i spent alot of time in the slow lane with the semis. i was going to bring my new 21 fbrs home from iowa this week end, but we are going to have snow and ice. we are just going up in the morning to pay for it, and visit some fiends and go back to bring it home in a few weeks when the snow melts. if we decide to venture farther in the future abigger truck may happen. bill
Old 12-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
What the others have said. We bought an 18 1/2 foot fiver thinking our 97 4.0 Ranger would handle a 3500 lb trailer. It didn't work. We were in the right hand lane with the hazards on and pedal to the metal in the mountains, got passed by a fat kid on a bicycle, and the six percent down grades demanded my undivided attention. Two trips like that were enough.
An F-150 with the 5.4 with proper gearing (forget the eco boost you need torque) would be a better choice.
The 3.5 Ecoboost has gobs of low end torque. Way more then the 5.4 and more HP then any V10 ever put in any F53 or super duty truck. And the Ecoboost has almost the same torque as the 6.2 or the 6.8 V10. Probably the best towing motor ever put in a half ton Ford. Pulls like a baby power stroke. All the Ford Triton motors are about history. Most being replace by the Ecoboost line of engines. Suppose to be a 5.0 Ecoboost in the works to replace the aging, outdated, gutless, screaming, gas gusling Triton 6.8 liter 3V V10 also.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpredock View Post
thanks all for the great info. not what i wanted to hear, but what i expected. heres my situation. we now have a 16 foot skyline which we pulled this summer. it pulled fine, but was sluggish on hills. we stay very close ecause have done so much traveling in the last 15 years we are kind of sit and and relax and enjoy the outdoors folks now. we travel very light cuz we run with empty tanks. and very small payload. the only thing in the truck is a wood tongue block and my wifes 3 wheel bicycle. we never travel more than 100 miles from home, most of the time not over 40. there are so many nice places nearby in missouri we just don't need to go that far. i have pulled horse trailers many thousands of miles over the years because we showed quarter horses, and i hauled horse trailers for a friend of mine, often 2 at a time. i spent alot of time in the slow lane with the semis. i was going to bring my new 21 fbrs home from iowa this week end, but we are going to have snow and ice. we are just going up in the morning to pay for it, and visit some fiends and go back to bring it home in a few weeks when the snow melts. if we decide to venture farther in the future abigger truck may happen. bill

Yea not going to be a great weekend to tow that thing home no mater what you tow with.

Tags
ford