Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2005, 07:09 PM   #1

There is just so much to know about buying a TT and towing. I bought one today. 28' Salem w/ slideout. I am towing w/ 2000 Ford Excursion 7.3 Diesel and it has a 3.73 rear. I have 35" tires w/a 4" lift. I'm picking it up on Friday of this week. I have so much to do and figure out. I need some help. Do I need a sway bar? Do I need a weight dist. bars? What kind of hitch do I need. I have heard from some people and I'm still confuised. I have read lots of the threads on this site. It had helped, thanx. I think I am going to buy a Jordan brake controler. Unless It's not the right one to buy for a first timer. Just not too sure about the hitch situation. What a great site thanks to all that indulge

Gil

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2005, 07:09 PM   #2

There is just so much to know about buying a TT and towing. I bought one today. 28' Salem w/ slideout. I am towing w/ 2000 Ford Excursion 7.3 Diesel and it has a 3.73 rear. I have 35" tires w/a 4" lift. I'm picking it up on Friday of this week. I have so much to do and figure out. I need some help. Do I need a sway bar? Do I need a weight dist. bars? What kind of hitch do I need. I have heard from some people and I'm still confuised. I have read lots of the threads on this site. It had helped, thanx. I think I am going to buy a Jordan brake controler. Unless It's not the right one to buy for a first timer. Just not too sure about the hitch situation. What a great site thanks to all that indulge

Gil

Old 06-19-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, you definately need a weight distributing (W/D) hitch and sway control. Two popular ones are Equal-i-zer (brand name, not the generic type) or a Reese Dual Cam. Both of these are a weight distributing type hitch with sway control. They may offer a generic W/D hitch with a friction type sway control, which is OK but not as good.

You will also need a good brake controller. My preference is a Jordan 2020, best for the money. A distant second place is a Proidgy. A lot of folks use them and are happy with them, but I had one and I got rid of it for a Jordan. The best is a Brakesmart, but cost a bit more.

Male sure that the hitch is set up properly with the trailer level, the truck level and the W/D bars nearly parallel to the ground. make sure they give you the installation manual for the hitch and brake controller.

If you have never towed before, head for a local parking lot and practice backing, and making left and right hand turns. Get a pair of FRS (walkie talkies) to use when backing. Before you back or pull into a campsite, get out and walk the site, noting loaction of the hook-ups, the wheel stops, and trees, etc.

Always use a spotter to back up...saves a lot of head aches and damage. Make sure you can see the spotter in the drivers mirror, and they can see you. Stop until you can get the spotter back in the mirror.

Now hitch up, relax and have a good time.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:44 PM   #4

Thankx Iceman, The trailer only weights 5400lbs do you realy think I need to go big dual sway and dist? The W/D is important, yes I have been told by a few I probably don't need the sway due to the lbs and the size of my truck. Before I buy the W/D and others should I have the TT on site so I can make it as level as possable? I am buying it from a private person so kinda hard to do that. All I need to do is get it to my home so I can match everything up. I just need to drive it 45 miles. Any suggestions to get it here w/o wasting $
Let me know,
Thankx again

Gil
Old 06-19-2005, 08:54 PM   #5

If the TT actually weighs 5,400lbs, that means near 540lbs/+ -, will be directly on the ball hitch, on the rear of your Ford. Towing 45 miles without sway control or weight distributing hitch may be do-able if caution is exercised--but not for a novice at towing! A practical solution is to have a mobile home moving company tow it to your house. That way you can have time to buy and install everything correctly on your Ford.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:53 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gil, the problem is that a properly set up and balanced trailer MAY (note the operative word is may) not need a sway control. But if you get caught by that one sudden gust from a truck of at a bridge, and you start to sway, that is when it is to late to add it. It is really cheap insurance. I personally would not go out on the road without a sway control on a travel trailer.

And you should have a MINIMUM of 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue. I prefer 12 to 15% for a more stable trailer.

Like suggested, hire someone to move it for you. Better safe now than sorry later.

Ken

Ken
Old 06-20-2005, 05:32 AM   #7

With a lift on your truck, you may find it dificult to get that TT level. Your probably going to spend some big $$$ on hitch parts. However, don't skimp. A good hitch will make all the difference. Especially in an emergency situation.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:18 AM   #8

a WD hitch is mandatory on the X. I had a 2000 X lifted like yours with overloads on it and it towed like crap until i put the WD hitch on it.

Todd T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:36 PM   #9

Gil: I noticed in your post you have 35" tires with a 4" lift. Both of those items are towing stability "robbers" but with the relatively light weight of your trailer they may not present problems. The tall sidewall profile tires mean more sidewall flex in side winds or rapid steering corrections, the 4" lift has exacerbated that by adding the "flex" associated with the additional hardware from frame to axle. It would be wise to be prudent and invest in the sway & distribution hardware as well.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:02 PM   #10

Thankx to all that helped me get this part of TT's and towing behind me. I have bought a WD that fits the truck and TT the right way. So I will tow it. I'll let everyone know how it works.

Thanks again

Gil