RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2019, 07:21 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Pyrometer guage

Not sure if ny first post made it through. I just received my first diesel a 2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 dully. A friend told me I should invest in a pyrometer guage to keep track of exhaust temperatures. Do you all think it necessary, and who would I go to to have it installed. Thanks for time.

frank J P is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #2

https://www.bankspower.com/?gclid=Cj...RoC5NQQAvD_BwE

Old 12-01-2019, 09:10 PM   #3

If the engine is not modified then there is no need for a pyrometer. A stock diesel should not exceed safe exhaust temps under normal driving conditions, including towing within your trucks specs. If you just want all the available info and something else to worry about then go for it.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:06 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
So what did the dealer or GM tell you?
Old 12-02-2019, 12:16 PM   #5

Im not all that familiar with gm trucks anymore, but if they do a burn of the dpf the way other trucks do it could be handy to know what your egts are doing. It would be a way to make sure you dont shut the truck down during a burn and it could also extend the life of your turbo. Most people say to let your truck idle for a minute or so to let the turbo cool down, but if you had a gauge you wouldnt be guessing if its still super hot. Same with the regen, thered be no guesswork behind it.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #6

The aftermarket monitors/tuners have that ability already. Your truck actually has the sensors already installed from the factory. Fords have 3 exhaust pyrometers. I'm pretty sure GM has a very similar setup. You just need to find a monitor that taps into your OBDII port and reads that info for you.

As Theunz said, unless you're tuning the truck, I don't see much of a reason to worry about it. I don't think they will regen at less than about 25 mph. Your temps will be fine by the time you park.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
The aftermarket monitors/tuners have that ability already. Your truck actually has the sensors already installed from the factory. Fords have 3 exhaust pyrometers. I'm pretty sure GM has a very similar setup. You just need to find a monitor that taps into your OBDII port and reads that info for you.

As Theunz said, unless you're tuning the truck, I don't see much of a reason to worry about it. I don't think they will regen at less than about 25 mph. Your temps will be fine by the time you park.
I dont know what the parameters are for regen, but our safety guy had to have his turbo rebuilt earlier this year because he wasnt giving it enough of a cooldown. Id rather have it than not.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #8

I installed ISSPRO Pyrometer & Gauge on my Stock 2007 5.9L Cummins along with Tranny Temp & Boost ----also installed an Exhaust Brake

Being an old Control Operator in Power Plants I LIKE information.
Nice to see the correlation between boost and EGTs.

Cool down happens fairly quickly.......when you are NOT putting fuel in/EGTs drop quickly. 350*F and below (pre-turbo) happen within a few minutes....easily between the time you pull off and drive to rest area.
Start a diesel and at idle it will not generate enough heat to warm up the block
(750rpm/300*F)
So when you take your foot of the go pedal engine is cooling down and exhaust temps drop

But having the Gauges does let you watch/confirm and is FUN

Hardest part of Pyrometer install...drill into exhaust manifold

Greased drill bit to collect shavings and engine at idle so exhaust manifold was slightly pressurized.
Same when tapping for the threads on pyro ---IIRC 1/4" NPTF
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:01 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
I dont know what the parameters are for regen, but our safety guy had to have his turbo rebuilt earlier this year because he wasnt giving it enough of a cooldown. Id rather have it than not.
For older models with turbos it is pretty risky to not allow the turbo shaft bearing to cool down, but you haven't given us the year and make of the vehicle that had the problem. My turbo is oil lubricated and water cooled. If it needs more than a minute or so at idle to cool down to a very safe shutdown temp than I'm gonna have a ruined turbo sooner rather than later.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #10

For the past 5 years I've been towing a 19,000 pound trailer with my unmodified 2013 Duramax with absolutely no issues. I find no reason to do any modifications.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
For older models with turbos it is pretty risky to not allow the turbo shaft bearing to cool down, but you haven't given us the year and make of the vehicle that had the problem. My turbo is oil lubricated and water cooled. If it needs more than a minute or so at idle to cool down to a very safe shutdown temp than I'm gonna have a ruined turbo sooner rather than later.
The safety guys truck is a 2015 or 16 super duty.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
The safety guys truck is a 2015 or 16 super duty.
My pickup is in my sig. Gotta know what how to operate each one's individual rig. Mine doesn't need a long cool down. I can't speak to anyone else's rig.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
My pickup is in my sig. Gotta know what how to operate each one's individual rig. Mine doesn't need a long cool down. I can't speak to anyone else's rig.
Thats why i like all the gauges i can have. If you dont know what its doing you cant even make an educated guess.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
For some people, if they really don't know what they're looking at, all the gauges in the world don't help anything.

When in doubt, idle for cool down won't hurt anything though.

It's pretty nice having the water cooled turbo though. Most times I can just idle to my parking space and it's ready to shut down, but one has to know that they can run it this way first. I didn't know my turbo was water cooled when I first bought the truck because the manual tells you nothing about this, only giving instructions for idle time before shut down. I hope the image loads ok.