Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2005, 09:10 PM   #1

Currenting I'm using a Reese WD with the friction sway control. I'm wondering if all the "haunted house door" sounds I get at low speeds is normal? It's sort of annoying in a way because I feel like all eyes are on the me when I go to pulling into the campground. Would I be better off with the Dual Sway Cotrol? If I did what would I need to buy? Checking out the Reese web site it looks as if I already have most of the kit anyway. Worth the bother or not? Thanks.

Del Monte

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2005, 09:10 PM   #2

Currenting I'm using a Reese WD with the friction sway control. I'm wondering if all the "haunted house door" sounds I get at low speeds is normal? It's sort of annoying in a way because I feel like all eyes are on the me when I go to pulling into the campground. Would I be better off with the Dual Sway Cotrol? If I did what would I need to buy? Checking out the Reese web site it looks as if I already have most of the kit anyway. Worth the bother or not? Thanks.

Del Monte

Old 08-31-2005, 05:50 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Make sure all the correct components have been greased. We had several noises coming from our Reese hitch. Most of them want away when I greased up the ball and weight distribution bars. Ours still makes noise now but it's only the sway controller moving back and forth and it only happens when I turn.

One thing to mention.....My sway control broke last year. Evidently it happens a lot. My dealer said that before you back in, you should disconnect it. If you pivot too much, you can break the sway bar. So you could disconnect the sway bar when you first pull into the campground. This should eliminate all the noises. Later.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:45 PM   #4

Thanks for the tip Rich. I tried to make it a point to at least loosen the "grip" on the sway control bar before backing in, but I guess removing it all together would probabaly be better.

Del Monte
Old 09-01-2005, 02:04 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I ALWAYS removed the Friction Sway before backing in. I was always affraid of bending it on a harsh turn.

I never used one, but everyone I know who has the Dual Cam sway says it is the way to go.

Oh, by the way, mine always creekd and groaned when pulling in too.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:42 AM   #6

I changed from a friction sway control to the Dual Cam sway control system several years ago. There is a HUGE difference in the performance between the two. With the old friction control, I was constantly steering to keep straight and often arrived very tired at my destination. With the Dual Cam, there is very little steering effort needed and the trailer tracks straight and true. It is automatically hooked up when you chinch up the chains and does not need removing before backing up either. It was well worth the $150 or so for the peace of mind and comfortable towing in my opinion.
Barney

Hensley 1400# hitch
BarneyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:30 PM   #7

BarneyS, With the Reese WD hitch that I have could I just add to the setup with whats needed for the dual cam, or do I need to buy a whole new hitch? Thanks.