Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #1

Question about TV

I was talking to a fella a couple of weeks ago. He has a Toyota 1/2 ton. I questioned him about the performance, it seemed to me not enough truck. He told me the Toyota engineers told him there is a difference between towing weight and haling weight. Has anyone ever heard of that?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #2

Towing weigh, vs hauling weigh. Did he get this information in writing ?
Somehow I doubt it.
Sounds like somebody got sold a bill of goods.
Kind of like the difference , between moving the weight of a trailer; easy to do; and controlling the weight of the trailer, not so easy.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:17 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Well the weight ratings on my truck are broken down like this.

Gross Combined Vehicle Weight. Truck (with or without a load) and something in tow.

Gross Vehicle Weight. Truck with a load. (nothing in tow).

Front Axle Weight. Maximum load weight front axle.

Rear Axle Weight. Maximum load weight rear axle.

This information allows you to adjust weight placement for safe operation of the vehicle. Then how much you can tow safely, and any combination of the two.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by genecusano View Post
I was talking to a fella a couple of weeks ago. He has a Toyota 1/2 ton. I questioned him about the performance, it seemed to me not enough truck. He told me the Toyota engineers told him there is a difference between towing weight and haling weight. Has anyone ever heard of that?
Yes. There are two weight limits for your pickup that you should never exceed - GCWR and GVWR.

The GCWR is the max gross combined weight of wet and loaded truck and trailer you can pull (or tow) without overheating anything in the drivetrain of the tow vehicle, and without being the slowpoke up the steep grade of hills and mountain passes.

The GVWR is the max weight on the two truck axles, or the max weight (including hitch weight) you can haul without exceeding the weight capacity of your suspension and brakes.

The Tundra - and all other half-ton pickups with powerful engines - can pull a lot heavier trailer than it can haul the hitch weight of that trailer without exceeding the GVWR of the tow veicle.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #5

OP, I think he guy might be trying to say hauling weight is what he can put in the bed (to reach gvw), and towing weight is what he can tow. In his scenario, the towing weight is greater, as the tongue/hitch weight counts as payload, but the weight on the trailer axles counts as towed weight. Just assuming that is what he is attempting to say.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF-250SD View Post
OP, I think he guy might be trying to say hauling weight is what he can put in the bed (to reach gvw), and towing weight is what he can tow. In his scenario, the towing weight is greater, as the tongue/hitch weight counts as payload, but the weight on the trailer axles counts as towed weight. Just assuming that is what he is attempting to say.
Welcome to iRV2.
What your saying makes sense, now that I read it laid out in context.
Guess I should have read that into the, original post before I replied.
As , Smokey Wren says GVWR & GCWR should never be exceeded, and I'll bet the Tundra owner had never had things weighed.
I agree with the OP, if a set up looks like it's overloaded, there's a good chance it is.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #7

Pretty sure my 3500 will tow more than it can haul.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My 2500 will easily tow my 7K tt but sure would not want that weight in the bed of the truck. I think it's safe to say that every truck can tow more than it can carry in the bed.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

You guys are misunderstanding the point.

Most tow vehicles (TV) with single rear wheels (SRW) can tow a heavier trailer without exceeding the GCWR (and actual tow rating) than it can haul just the hitch weight of that trailer without exceeding the GVWR (and actual payload capacity) of the TV.

You won't find the actual tow rating or actual payload capacity on anything published by the manufacturer. The actual tow rating is GCWR minus the actual wet and loaded weight of the TV as shown on a CAT scale ticket. The actual payload capacity is available for hitch weight is the GVWR minus the actual wet and loaded weight of the TV as shown on a CAT scale ticket.

On my very-light-duty F-150 with GCWR of 14,000 pounds and tow rating of 8,400 pounds, my actual tow rating is south of 4,780 pounds, and my actual payload capacity is 550 pounds.

So for your 7,000 pound TT, you don't need 7,000 pounds of available payload capacity, but you do need about 1,000 pounds available payload capacity to haul the hitch weight of that TT.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #10

Missed the point? I thought the OP's point was obvious.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by genecusano View Post
He told me the Toyota engineers told him there is a difference between towing weight and haling weight.

What I would like to know is, do the Toyota engineers talk to every customer that buys a vehicle?

Or, are Toyota salesmen all engineers?
Old 10-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am the only one responsible for my safety and knowing that My truck can tow My trailer safely and is within all weight limits. I tow and load way under the max. I suggest all that can, do the same.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #13

The Toyota owner probably does consider the salesmen to be engineers, lol. Can't see engineers talking to any customer that wants to chat. Let's say the Tundra in question has a 1,500 lb. payload capacity. The gross trailer weight he can haul will be greater than 1,500 lbs. That is what I believe the Tundra owner was trying to say, but worded it wrong. What most Tundra owners fail to see, or admit, is that the 10,100 lb. towing capacity only applies to the standard cab long bed 2 wheel drive with the plain trim level. The double cab 4x4's capacity is about 8,100 lbs towing capacity, and the high trim and option package is even less than that. Most of the grossly overloaded Tundras I see on the road are the high trim double cab 4x4's. For the most part they rabidly defend their setups, and will not listen to friendly advice. Most also fail to believe the fact that the Space Shuttle was sitting on self propelled dollies, so anything, even a kid on a bicycle, could have "pulled" the Shuttle. The bridge they pulled across had a weight limit that would be exceeded by the big rig and Shuttle combined, so they needed a lighter vehicle to cross the bridge with. Makes for nice advertising for folks not in the know though.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #14

DaveF-250SD, you need to check your facts on this post. I have 2012 SR5 double cab 2 x 4, 5.7L with tow package. Door plate code per owners manual shows my max tow is 10,100 lbs.

Payload is limiting factor on most 1/2 ton trucks including Tundras

And yes, the Space Shuttle stuff is bs

Tundra pulls my #6800 fully loaded trailer just fine. Don't intend to pull anything any bigger.

Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote