Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #1

Evergreen Owners Club
Question for dually owners

I just purchased a new dually and already know it won't fit through an ATM lane and some drive thru lanes. My question is, will it fit thru the entrance at a parking garage or parking structure? Like at an airport and such places with the take a ticket and arm. Anyone find out the hard way? Thanks for the info.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is good to be safe, and you might be surprised at the places a dually will fit.

The problem with many drive-thru lanes where your truck fits is that the drivers seat will be about 3+ feet from the ATM/Cashier/etc. requiring you to get out of the cab anyway.

My Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew fits into the airport ticket lanes here - but I do not enter the multi-level garages for fear of a pinch on the up and down ramps...but I have seen 2wheel drive DRW trucks in these garages.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Mine is a bit tight, but fits into most ATM lanes. Problem is that I'm too high to utilize the screen or reach the keypad. So I pull forward, get out and do what I need standing in front of the ATM. I have only run across 1 ATM that it won't fit, but then it is due to a tight turn to get into the lane, not the width.

I have never tried to put it into a parking garage. I have gone thru the ticket lane in parking lots, BUT, make sure the height won't be an issue.

I always go by the mirrors. If they go thru, the fender wells will go thru.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Never had any problems with drive-thru lanes - kind of nice to be even or a little higher with the windows, but it is a reach. Haven't tried any ATM or bank ones though - I've internet deposit & stuff, use my debit card a lot & can get cash with purchases, so haven't had to use an ATM in quite a while.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #5

I can fit through every ATM, bank, drive though, and parking garage I've ever been in.

What will probably stop you the most is the long wheel base. That is what limits me on some drive throughs with tight turns.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I can fit through every ATM, bank, drive though, and parking garage I've ever been in.

What will probably stop you the most is the long wheel base. That is what limits me on some drive throughs with tight turns.
X2
Just remember this.... The mirrors are the widest part of the truck. If the mirrors fit, the rest of the truck should fit.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #7

Smile Drive thru

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
Mine is a bit tight, but fits into most ATM lanes. Problem is that I'm too high to utilize the screen or reach the keypad. So I pull forward, get out and do what I need standing in front of the ATM. I have only run across 1 ATM that it won't fit, but then it is due to a tight turn to get into the lane, not the width.

I have never tried to put it into a parking garage. I have gone thru the ticket lane in parking lots, BUT, make sure the height won't be an issue.

I always go by the mirrors. If they go thru, the fender wells will go thru.
I have a 3500 dually 4x4 & 2500 w/hemi on 37's haven't seen a parking garage or ATM I couldn't go in/thru, but the height is draw back, drive thru's at Wendy's and such won't trigger the (I am here) detector loop if not just centered. As stated if the mirrors pass the rest will to.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most banks have a commercial lane which will accommodate a wider vehicle. We have been told by our bank to go ahead and use the commercial lane

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo5er View Post
I just purchased a new dually and already know it won't fit through an ATM lane and some drive thru lanes. My question is, will it fit thru the entrance at a parking garage or parking structure? Like at an airport and such places with the take a ticket and arm. Anyone find out the hard way? Thanks for the info.
The places you mention aren't all the same dimensions/widths so there is no yes or no answer.
One thing I learned many years ago is just because my mirrors go through a tight spot doesn't mean the bottom of the DRW fenders/tires will as there at different heights.
I have a DRW truck and a 1/2 and 3/4 ton truck. The DRW simple will not fit in many places around town that I go. It physically won't fit.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #10

Evergreen Owners Club
Thank you for the replies and good information.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #11

You can get in some scary clearance situations heightwise if you are not careful picking an underground/covered parking garage. The clearance bar is one thing, but the angle of the ramps and the wheelbase may cause the roof to hit. I have a moonroof and have had to use it several times to make sure I won't hit. Had to once back out of a garage in Vegas that said there was clearance--that wasn't fun.
You'll get used to it, and as mentioned above, there are many you WILL be able to get into.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #12

A dually is physically wider and taller than the normal truck or car. With the longer wheelbase I do not take it thru drive thru's or into parking garages.

Best to be very careful in tight spots.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #13

I've driven a dually for years.
The only place I won't take it is through the drive-thru lanes at the bank. Tried it once and scraped both sides going through.
I usually try to back it into parking spaces which lessens the chances of people banging the hips with their car doors.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #14

The wheel base of the 8' bed version is the killer for me. It.makes.me.always want.to take.a.turn in the widest lane,.dread most.parking garages and back into my spot. Btw most.banks here on the NW side of have "dually " lanes.

Speaking of duallys,.I am going to drop $1600 for 6 new tires in the morning... :-(
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote