Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2017, 05:22 PM   #1

Question Question for Toyota Tundra 2014+ owners

I have a 1/2 ton, Toyota 2017 Tundra, 5.7L, 4X4, double cab, Limited edition, std bed. My question: I have found a travel trailer that meet the specs for my truck for towing. I feel out here in the Pacific Northwest, mts, elevations, grades, etc may be too much for my truck for certain travel trailers. The trailer specs are good (as stated for the trailer by the manufacture) for 1/2 ton trucks. However, I am the one for ultimate safety! ** Thus, my question is this: Any of you with the newer Toyota Tundra trucks, I would appreciate your real-life travel experiences with having a 7,000 lb+ loaded travel trailer, a 27' + trailer length - would be very helpful for my future decision for safety and handling concerns. I need to know how long your travel trailer is, how much your tongue wt is, how much the trailer weighs loaded, and how has your Tundra handled same. Thank you all & any present &/or past experiences. Of note; I am new to iRV2, and I have not checked all the old threads. Sorry if I missed this info. Sincerely, "dougfir" ... (Oregon's State Tree).
dougfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #2

I did the same size TT as you're looking at with a 2010 F150 5.4 Max Tow 145" WB.
Without getting into the power aspect of the two trucks, I will get into the handling part. Most 1/2 tons are fairly close in that dept. With a good WDH you should be fine. You'll definitely know the TT's back there. 7000+ lbs is a load hanging 4' behind the rear axle.
The main thing is, you need to look at is the cargo carrying capacity sticker on the door jamb. Or wherever Toyota sticks it. With a 7000+ lb loaded TT your tongue weight will be in the 900 lb range. Toyotas aren't known for high CCC's, so if you're in the 1400 lb CCC range then you'll only have 500 lbs for passengers and camping stuff that would go in the truck.
Like I said handling won't be the issue, it will be having enough CCC to carry everything.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #3

When we pulled a bumper pull I looked at a 2016 Tundra and was told that anything with the 5.7 liter V8 had the towing package by default. I assume yours does, but it wouldn't hurt to be sure.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:38 PM   #4

I tow with a 5.7L Tundra. I know I'm not giving you all the specs/info you asked for...and with all due respect, the main reason I'm not listing it all is because in my opinion you are asking the wrong questions here.

My tongue weight, my trailer loaded, etc., is not really as important as what YOUR Tundra can handle...you need to figure out your payload capacity (all trucks are different, even among Tundras), GCWR, your GAWR front and rear etc., and how you will be loading it with people, animals, gear, etc. How will you be loading your TT? It will likely be different than me. Once you do all the math with that and the tongue weight, etc., if you you are under capacity for what your Tundra can carry, then you are good to go. "Handling" is very subjective.

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but a lot of people may jump in with what they think is ok, or "my brother in law tows this and is fine", but that is bad advice. The only good advice is the math particular to your specific TV/TT combination
Old 02-25-2017, 10:10 AM   #5

DaveRG is very correct. We pull an Arctic Fox 24' with our 2009 (Extra cab, regular bed) and loaded it usually runs 6000-6200. We have an Equalizer WDH and I installed Sumosprings on the rear of the truck. I have heavier weight range tires on both truck and trailer. Pulling is adequate, but not totally comfortable for me. But, again, dave nailed it, as you may have a different hitch, or a full water tank, or non-TRD suspension, etc. Every combination has its own pluses and minuses. And, some drivers are less sensitive. Great answer, huh?
Old 02-25-2017, 11:53 PM   #6

Thank you all! FYI...

What I understand from this information is vitally important and correct and I want to thank you all. Understanding your individual truck spec's is critical, indeed! I have made a few modifications r/t: "E" series tires, WDH, HD added rear leaf springs, TRD sway bar, "Timbren" rear leaf springs upgrade/modified airbag system, and knowing my weights (tongue/pin, load capacity, etc.) and the simple understanding that it is very much all related to safe stopping power under control! I have the full Toyota tow package (and then some), and I feel it is up to me to know how to properly tow a trailer. We should all realize what we have at our fingertips. The brake controller is very important to have it set correctly with trailer brakes/type, slow speeds are a must, along with being in the "Towhaul mode" (always) -- so that going up steep grades I should not be in Drive, but out of cruise control and shift into the "S" mode that will allow me to control the proper gear for road conditions, speed, and RPM range for idea engine/transmission limits that will decrease over heating systems, and to save some cash on my gasoline bill too! Same for going downhills... use "S" (sport mode) I can select the lowest gear for engine braking saving your brakes from overheating, wear & tear, thus saving more money related to brake pad replacements. With a six speed transmission, you have 4 gears for either engine braking or going up hills, (all in "S" mode). This has worked for travel trailers weighing around 8,700 lbs loaded and their brakes checked in at over 90,000+ miles with the original brake pads still good for another 40,000+ miles -- Wow! I also feel that it is not just enough to know the GCWR, the GVWR, GAWR (front & rear), payload, max trailer wt, tongue wt specs all based upon the actual max trailer wt, ... but to have each wheel/axle weighed independently, along with the truck front and rear tires/axles for both right and left sides of truck and trailer for the "big picture!" Then, I feel we can all compare apples to apples. From what I have been reading in several trailer forums -- * I feel that some or maybe 50% of 1/2 ton trucks owners towing trailers do not fully understand what they are actually towing for each of their vacation trips. I feel that the weak spot is not knowing how much wt is on all their tires/axles independently (that is not just the trailer wt, but wt for each side of the trailer & for each tire of the truck too)! I feel that this info is now being offered for a small fee is invaluable -- how much money can we place on our lives and others? And yes, I have the 4.3 rear axle ratio, a towing hitch installed by Toyota at class IV/V wt capacity (not III or IV), the now included "Trailer Sway Control" which detects when the trailer is swaying and will automatically apply the correct amount of brake pressure to the individual wheel(s) when needed along with controlling the engine torque which will help stabilize the trailer. In light of the above, thank you all for your sincere inputs and advice. I hope what I am sharing with you all may be helpful too... And so it goes... Doug Fir
dougfir is offline   Reply With Quote