Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #15

Found out the vehicle flatbed is 6 inches taller then a regular pick-up bed and sides on the bed are not solid but can fold them down. This has been used as a lease vehicle which has had 10 different companys. Tires are 80% used.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #16

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The Arrowcraft kit does NOT increase payload, GVWR, or rear axle capacity over the stock SRW ratings. It's one of those mods that's for image only. Read the Arrowcraft FAQ - second question:
Frequently Asked Questions - Arrowcraft :: Helping You Handle the Road for over 30 years!
Granted the GVWR will not change. But certainly if you add two tires and additional springs or air bags, the capacity is greater.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #17

Quote:
The Arrowcraft kit does NOT increase payload, GVWR, or rear axle capacity over the stock SRW ratings. It's one of those mods that's for image only. Read the Arrowcraft FAQ - second question:
Frequently Asked Questions - Arrowcraft :: Helping You Handle the Road for over 30 years!
Nonsense, of course it will increase the real-world weight capacity, or at least it will in some applications. Many HD diesel SRW trucks are exactly the same as the DRW version in terms of frame, drivetrain, brakes, etc. You will not increase rear axle capacity, but if the rear axle that was used on the donor SRW truck is the same axle as the factory used on the DRW truck (along with everything else), does it matter? But it is true that .... THE STICKER ... won't change, to the extent that worries one.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #18

Two questions for you. What is the cost of your proposed modifications? Would that amount and your present pickup cover the cost to upgrade to a used diesel dually?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Two questions for you. What is the cost of your proposed modifications? Would that amount and your present pickup cover the cost to upgrade to a used diesel dually?
I have no idea what the cost would be for the modification.

Thanks, Bob
Old 02-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
You will not increase rear axle capacity, but if the rear axle that was used on the donor SRW truck is the same axle as the factory used on the DRW truck (along with everything else), does it matter?
That may be true for lesser brands, but not with a Ford. The F-350 SRW has a Ford/Visteon/"Sterling" rear axle rated 7,280 pounds @ground. But the F-350 DRW has a completely different rear axle, a Dana 80, rated 9,000 pounds @ground. Sterling axle in the SRW and Dana 80 axle in the DRW has been true since at least the '99 model year (with minor differences in weight rating @ground depending on GVWR that model year).

And of course the rear springs are different. 7000 pounds rating on the SRW and 9,000 on the DRW.

Bottom line: The conversion kits do not replace the rear axle - only the hubs. And they don't replace the spring packs. When you get done you're still going to have the weight capacity of an F-350 SRW, but with the looks of a Dooley.

If you want to convert an F-350 SRW to an F-350 DRW and actually gain payload capacity, you have to replace the entire third member, including the rear axle and springs, with one from a dually. Even that won't change the GVWR number on the door sticker, but it will increase the amount of payload you can haul without overloading the suspension or something in the drivetrain.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #21

Rexhall Owners Group
Smoky,

Does the same reasoning apply to the F250? Not converting to a dually but increasing payload with larger tires and springs or air bags. I know my gross vehicle and axle weight ratings will not change, but will an F250 with those upgrades be as safe as an F350 SRW. From my understanding the axles on the F250 and F350 are the same. My truck is a 2005 F250 Diesel.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb1st View Post
From my understanding the axles on the F250 and F350 are the same. My truck is a 2005 F250 Diesel.
You understand wrong.

For 2005 and several years thereafter, the Sterling rear axle in an F-250 PSD was rated 6,200 pounds @ground. The rear main leaf in the spring pack was rated 6,200 pounds (rated more with optional camper pkg. that includes "overload" springs). The F-350 SRW Sterling rear axle in an F-350 SRW was rated 7,000 pounds, and the main leaf in the rear spring pack was also rated 7,000 pounds.

The myth that the F-250 and F-350 SRW pickups were identical except for the GVWR sticker was started by some F-250 owners with overloaded pickups that wanted to rationalize that they were weren't really overloaded since their pickup was "the same as the F-350 SRW".

Granted, there's not a lot of difference, but those differences in the rear axle and rear spring pack weight ratings are the reason for the different GVWRs and rear GAWRs. If you want the weight capacity of the F-350 SRW, then buy an F-350 SRW. Or replace the third member (including springs) with one from an F-350 SRW.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #23

Quote:
If you want the weight capacity of the F-350 SRW, then buy an F-350 SRW. Or replace the third member (including springs) with one from an F-350 SRW.
Or buy a Dodge.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #24

Quote:

You understand wrong.

For 2005 and several years thereafter, the Sterling rear axle in an F-250 PSD was rated 6,200 pounds @ground. The rear main leaf in the spring pack was rated 6,200 pounds (rated more with optional camper pkg. that includes "overload" springs). The F-350 SRW Sterling rear axle in an F-350 SRW was rated 7,000 pounds, and the main leaf in the rear spring pack was also rated 7,000 pounds.

The myth that the F-250 and F-350 SRW pickups were identical except for the GVWR sticker was started by some F-250 owners with overloaded pickups that wanted to rationalize that they were weren't really overloaded since their pickup was "the same as the F-350 SRW".

Granted, there's not a lot of difference, but those differences in the rear axle and rear spring pack weight ratings are the reason for the different GVWRs and rear GAWRs. If you want the weight capacity of the F-350 SRW, then buy an F-350 SRW. Or replace the third member (including springs) with one from an F-350 SRW.
I have a 250 and spring packs are the same but the 350 has more travel allowed by the springs with thicker spacer over the housing, keeping the drive train alignment. And for me springs, are to weak to tow a 5th wheel and drive like a buckboard if not modified. They are designed for ride quality. Also my 250 is limited by the 3100 lbs load tires while 350 has 3600lbs tires.
I would rather have heavier front tires then the wimpy front ones on duellies. Most of my braking capacity is limited to the front traction. Been that way for the past 4 trucks.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
I have a 250 and spring packs are the same....
According to Ford specs published in the Ford Truck Source Book, that's true only if you have the factory camper pkg on your F-250.

They look the same. They are the same length, width and thickness. They both have two-stage variable rate deflection rates. If the F-250 has factory overload rear springs, then the rear spring packs are the same specs as the F-350 SRW. But most F-250s do not have the overload springs, and the specs are different:

2005 F-250: Deflection rate: 334 lbs. per inch first stage, 776 lbs. per inch second stage.
2005 2005 F-350 SRW: Deflection rate: 330 lbs. per inch first stage, 650 lbs. per inch second stage

2005 F-250 2,695 lbs. per spring rating each @pad
F-350 SRW 3,133 lbs. per spring rating each @pad.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #26

Rexhall Owners Group
Smoky, thank you for your response. I had heard that the axle rating is based on it's weakest link. That was the tires and springs. Therefore, larger tires and an additional spring was all that was needed to increase payload. I was never totally comfortable with that explanation and your comments have confirmed my suspicion.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb1st View Post
Smoky, thank you for your response. I had heard that the axle rating is based on it's weakest link. That was the tires and springs. Therefore, larger tires and an additional spring was all that was needed to increase payload.
That is true only if the axle rating itself is higher than the tire rating. In some cases it is (for instance on many Dodge and GM trucks the rear axle used on the SRW and DRW diesel trucks is the same) but on some others it is not (Ford apparently being among them.) A safe increase in payload also involves additional concerns such as frame, brakes, drivetrain, etc. and again in some cases the SRW and DRW versions are essentially identical (except for the additional rear tires and an spring overload pack) making for a safe upgrade if done properly, and sometimes it is not. It is up to the owner to do proper research on that matter.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #28

Why a dually. You just decrease the chance for more front capacity. I just replaced my wheels to 275-70-18 tires with 3600lbs load index. That's a total capacity of 14400lbs, singles can be mush less maintenance and better fuel efficiency.

And my stock springs were on the bottom overloads before the top overload were loaded. And when the bottom overloads are loaded the drive is solid like a buckboard. So the top overloads to me, at least on my truck are just a gimmick.