Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2016, 02:34 PM   #1

Quick question about towing new trailer home from dealership with normal hitch.

I have a 2016 GMC 2500HD and just purchased a new 35 foot Rockwood 8329ss. Is it ok to pick up the trailer and drive it home from the dealership with just a normal hitch? I purchased a used ProPride 3p hitch and would like to install it in my driveway rather than pay the dealer to do it. It is only 45 min drive to the dealership and mostly highway driving.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2016, 02:49 PM   #2

what do you mean by "normal hitch"?,if you mean a ball on the bumper I would say no. if it's a factory hitch that's bolted to the frame,then you need to find out the towing capacity of it. I would think they would put a hitch on it that would match the towing capacity of the truck.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:55 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What type of brake controller do you need with the ProPride? Will any brand work?
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
what do you mean by "normal hitch"?,if you mean a ball on the bumper I would say no. if it's a factory hitch that's bolted to the frame,then you need to find out the towing capacity of it. I would think they would put a hitch on it that would match the towing capacity of the truck.
Sorry for being so vague.

It would be the factory class 5 hitch and reese ball mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	105
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	121965  
Old 03-21-2016, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
What type of brake controller do you need with the ProPride? Will any brand work?
Any would work. I am using the OEM one that my 2016 GMC 2500 HD has in the dash.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:54 PM   #6

Very unlikely that the delivery service rig used anything other than a simple ball mount for towing the trailer from Indiana to your dealer's lot. So, as long as the tongue weight doesn't exceed your hitch rating, then you should be OK. Also most service industry trucks use simple ball mounts while towing equipment trailers, etc. However, you have more sail area and will be more prone to sway. Travel slow, make sure you have insurance coverage in force and also be ready to manually activate the trailer brakes at any hint of sway.
dayle1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCally View Post
Is it ok to pick up the trailer and drive it home from the dealership with just a normal hitch?
Probably not okay. Problem is the weight-carrying (WC) limit of the receiver. Ignore trailer weight limit but comply with tongue weight limit. Your empty trailer will probably have tongue weight that will exceed the WC limit of your receiver.

If you're a gambler, then do not exceed about 50 MPH, do not hit any bumps or ditches, do not slam on the brakes. IOW, baby that trailer until you can get the ProPride installed. And good luck.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Probably not okay. Problem is the weight-carrying (WC) limit of the receiver. Ignore trailer weight limit but comply with tongue weight limit. Your empty trailer will probably have tongue weight that will exceed the WC limit of your receiver.

If you're a gambler, then do not exceed about 50 MPH, do not hit any bumps or ditches, do not slam on the brakes. IOW, baby that trailer until you can get the ProPride installed. And good luck.
The receiver I am going to use has a rating of 14,000 lbs. trailer weight empty is around 9,000 lbs.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Any brand will work, but best is the OEM integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC) that was optional on your new truck. I don't know about GM, but on a Ford you can buy the ITBC from the parts counter. After it's plugged in, the dealer has to "flash" the computer to tell it there is now an ITBC installed.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #10

GCally, I guess they changed things from 2015 to 2016,,, but my book (And hitch itself) on my 2015 Silverado 2500HD says (with factory mount) TT 13,000 lbs with a tounge weight of 1500 lbs. I am used to pulling trailers, but my opinion (for what its worth) is you'll be just fine. Just check your integrated brake controller before you leave the lot. When I hooked up our new 5th wheel a week ago, the DIC (display in dash) auto came on to the brake controller. I set the gain (with the + - buttons) at 4 just to get a start. I will fine tune it from there. Just get going a bit, let off the gass and gently move the slider on your controller to get a feel for the brakes. As said others have said before, take your time !!! No big rush,,, get a feel for it. That truck will handle it fine. These new Chevies do have auto sway control for a trailer,,, but I'd not rely on it... Have a great time,,, be smooth,,, Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
GCally, I guess they changed things from 2015 to 2016,,, but my book (And hitch itself) on my 2015 Silverado 2500HD says (with factory mount) TT 13,000 lbs with a tounge weight of 1500 lbs. I am used to pulling trailers, but my opinion (for what its worth) is you'll be just fine. Just check your integrated brake controller before you leave the lot. When I hooked up our new 5th wheel a week ago, the DIC (display in dash) auto came on to the brake controller. I set the gain (with the + - buttons) at 4 just to get a start. I will fine tune it from there. Just get going a bit, let off the gass and gently move the slider on your controller to get a feel for the brakes. As said others have said before, take your time !!! No big rush,,, get a feel for it. That truck will handle it fine. These new Chevies do have auto sway control for a trailer,,, but I'd not rely on it... Have a great time,,, be smooth,,, Monkey
Thanks for the info... I have towed all kinds of trailers and boats but nothing that had this kind of length and side wall.

I think in 2016 the 2500HD also got some kind of hybrid steering box setup. Where the steering was supposed to feel more like a rack and pinion but have the strength of a traditional steering box.

Do you have a gas or diesel?
If you have a gas engine how does it do towing. I was really tempted to get the diesel but I could not justify the cost with only towing a couple days out of the month.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
While your tow vehicle may have electronic sway detection and control systems, I would not rely on it alone. Like you said, you've never puled anything with this length and profile before, but your prior towing experience could be very helpful.

I can't really tell you what you should do, other than be careful, and make sure both vehicles are insured properly, as that is what you'll need if you do have an issue that causes a crash.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #13

I pulled our 35ft TT about 20 miles without our WDH with a 2500 suburban. You'll be fine. Unloaded weight is 7400 on your trailer, maybe 8000 optioned out and empty tanks. Hitch weight looks like 11% from the brochure so figure roughly 900lbs on the tongue. Just take it slow because there's probably going to be some sway but keeping it at 50mph for 45 miles is easy.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #14

Around the drag strip, this is pretty common. I see lots of 32' race car trailers (with 2 cars, tools, golf carts, etc) behind 3/4 trucks without a WD hitch.

Based on your scenario, I would get it home and then install the hitch. I would, however, ensure your ball mount was rated for the weight. You can pick up a heavy duty ball mount pretty reasonable. I have personally started using one for most all towing for peace of mind.

Tags
dealer, tow, towing