Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #1

Rail Kit or a Gooseball?

Newbie has a question. I just bought a new TV and need a hitch. Is there a big difference between a rail kit for a fifth wheel hitch or a gooseneck ball. My old TV had the rail kit and pulled fine. But just wondering if a gooseneck ball would be better? I know the rail kit will run 390.00 installed and the B&W gooseneck ball will run around 500.00 installed plus the added expense of buying a fifth wheel adapter for the ball? Just wondering if the extra money is worth getting the ball? All opinions are helpful thanks in advance.

Thanks, Lee

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #2

You will find many threads on this subject in the fifth wheel forum. There are very few 5er manufacturers that approve the use of a gooseneck adapter to tow a 5er because of the way the front of the 5er frame is built. I considered it when we bought our 1st 5er (prior to being informed of the previous sentence) but when I found out I would have to crawl into the truck-bed to hook/ unhook the safety chains every time, I forgot the idea.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You're mixing your apples and oranges with your peas and squash.

Then you clarified it somewhat by defining a gooseneck ball as a B&W TurnOver Ball.

If you have a TurnOver ball installed, there are two different ways to convert to a fifth wheel hitch.

1] Convert the pinbox on the trailer to a gooseneck adapter hitch that will fit onto your TurnOver ball. That's common, but very few 5ers are engineered for the additional stress and strain the gooseneck adapter puts on the trailer frame, so the trailer manufacturers will void the trailer warranty if you do it.

2] Remove the TurnOver ball and put a B&W Companion 5er hitch in the place where the TurnOver ball fits. Works good if you don't need a slider hitch, and the trailer warranty is not affected.

The TurnOver ball plus the Companion hitch will probably cost more than simply installing a 5er hitch. The only reason to do that is if you often tow both gooseneck and 5er trailers, so you need both hitches.

But the B&W products is only one way to tow both a gooseneck and 5er with the same truck. Another way is to install an "industry standard" Reese 5er hitch, plus buy a gooseneck ball that will plug into the same bedrails used by the 5er hitch.
Reese Above-Bed Gooseneck Trailer Hitch - 25,000 lbs Reese Gooseneck RP58079
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #4

Thanks everybody and Smokey thanks for saying it how I meant for it to be. I went with the rails mainly because it was the easiest on my wallet. I only pull my camper so a gooseneck ball I really wouldn't use and I have a SB so I need a slider hitch. Thanks again and since I'm new at this I'm sure I'll have more questions coming soon.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
You're mixing your apples and oranges with your peas and squash.

Then you clarified it somewhat by defining a gooseneck ball as a B&W TurnOver Ball.

If you have a TurnOver ball installed, there are two different ways to convert to a fifth wheel hitch.

1] Convert the pinbox on the trailer to a gooseneck adapter hitch that will fit onto your TurnOver ball. That's common, but very few 5ers are engineered for the additional stress and strain the gooseneck adapter puts on the trailer frame, so the trailer manufacturers will void the trailer warranty if you do it.

2] Remove the TurnOver ball and put a B&W Companion 5er hitch in the place where the TurnOver ball fits. Works good if you don't need a slider hitch, and the trailer warranty is not affected.

The TurnOver ball plus the Companion hitch will probably cost more than simply installing a 5er hitch. The only reason to do that is if you often tow both gooseneck and 5er trailers, so you need both hitches.

But the B&W products is only one way to tow both a gooseneck and 5er with the same truck. Another way is to install an "industry standard" Reese 5er hitch, plus buy a gooseneck ball that will plug into the same bedrails used by the 5er hitch.
Reese Above-Bed Gooseneck Trailer Hitch - 25,000 lbs Reese Gooseneck RP58079
Just putting my 2 cents in....has anyone tried the Andersen Ultimate Connection?? It gives you the ease of a gooseneck and you can pull ANY 5er you wish or any gooseneck trailer... all you need is the Blue Ox Diamond Hitch and the Ultimate Connection and you have the best of both...www.YouTube.com/andersenultimateconnection
Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #6

[QUOTE="Cardinal2003;1518786"]

Just putting my 2 cents in....has anyone tried the Andersen Ultimate Connection?? It gives you the ease of a gooseneck and you can pull ANY 5er you wish or any gooseneck trailer... all you need is the Blue Ox Diamond Hitch and the Ultimate Connection and you have the best of both...
Old 04-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #7

They left out one important point, the safety chains required by law in many states for any ball hitch. There is a good reason for the safety chain requirement, ball hitches can pop loose in sharp twisting motions. Ball hitches are inherently less reliable than king-pin hitches, that's one reason why all semi's use king-pins.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #8

My nephew has the Anderson Hitch in his 2011 Chevy 2500 HD and he loves it.