RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #1

Rails vs gooseneck

I have already decided to go with Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch for my Chaparral Lite pulled by a 2010 Ram 3/4 ton 6.7 Cummins. My dilemma is whether to spend approx $1,800 for the hitch and installation of a gooseneck in the Ram or save some money and spend $1,200 on the rail version of the hitch and have rails installed. $600 is a fair piece of dough but plan to have the truck for at least 5 years and typically spend 6 months in AZ with no need for any hitch in the truck. I have 2-3 months to decide but would appreciate others take on the topic.

GScott423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 06:31 PM   #2

Do you need the bed of your truck for things other than towing with the hitch in the bed? If not, just use the rails. If you'll be carrying sheets of drywall and need a flat bed, get the gooseneck. That's really all it boils down to. The need for a flat bed is the determining factor.

Itchytoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott423 View Post
I have already decided to go with Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch for my Chaparral Lite pulled by a 2010 Ram 3/4 ton 6.7 Cummins. My dilemma is whether to spend approx $1,800 for the hitch and installation of a gooseneck in the Ram or save some money and spend $1,200 on the rail version of the hitch and have rails installed. $600 is a fair piece of dough but plan to have the truck for at least 5 years and typically spend 6 months in AZ with no need for any hitch in the truck. I have 2-3 months to decide but would appreciate others take on the topic.
The bed rails are probably going to be in the bed all the time. They can be removed with about a half-hour of hard work, but in my '99 F-250 I just left them installed in the bed all the time for 10 years. And in my 2012 F-150, I also left then installed for 7 years. I don't intend to tow a 5er or goose with my 2019, so I get by with "bumper-pull" trailers and good WD hitches.

The only disadvantage of the installed bed rails is they have holes (slots) in them, so if you haul sand or pea-gravel or some such,you must first cover the bedrails with a tarp or sheet of plywood, else you will have stuff in the slots in the bedrails that must be cleaned out before you can install a 5er hitch or a Reese "The Goose".
https://www.reeseprod.com/ProductPhoto/1000/58079_c.png

I don't agree with Itchytoe that you cannot haul drywall or anything else with the bedrails installed. The bedrails lay flat and stick up only an inch or so, and I've hauled drywall and plywood and lumber and numerous other suppiies over the bedrails with no problem. The only problem is you must cover the bedrails before you haul loose sand or gravel.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196-S, and my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
Do you need the bed of your truck for things other than towing with the hitch in the bed? If not, just use the rails. If you'll be carrying sheets of drywall and need a flat bed, get the gooseneck. That's really all it boils down to. The need for a flat bed is the determining factor.

I had rail in our 2001 Ram 250, and NEVER considered them a issue with hauling Sheetrock or lumber. Some people make an issue out of the littlest thing.

Now fast forward to now we have a 2016 Ram 3500 with the puck system, this is very nice to not have the rails, but I never saw them as an issue. The puck system was a requirement when we were looking for a used TV.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote