Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #15

Trailer Capacity

The answer is an avid YES! I just bought a RAM 1500 last January. I had to order it, since the dealer did not have any with the 3.92 axle. We got completely decked out with the 4WD. It came with the integrated electric brake and it works like a dream! We towed 4,700 plus lbs. and all the extras and it came out to just under 5,600 lbs. We could hardly tell we were towing and we were going through the Rockies. My advice: get the 8-speed transmission and 20" wheels, too. Otherwise, I have the exact same vehicle. The difference will show in your gas mileage. Unloaded, I have gotten 23.7 mpg. Towing through the mountains...play it smart and you can get 12-15 mpg. The worse I ever got was 10 mpg, but that was in Off-Road 2 mode never getting above 20 mph and on a gravel road. I love that 5.7 Hemi and so does the wife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Meyer View Post
Hey guys,

We chose our TT and it weighs 7800 lbs. We're looking at the Ram 1500, 5.7-liter V8, crew cab, short bed, 2WD, 17-inch wheels, 3.92:1 axle that has a tow capacity of 10,200 lbs.

I haven't crunched the numbers yet but would this truck pull this TT if equipped with a WDH and trailer brakes?

We'll be packing about 500 lbs. into the TT and empty tanks.

Thanks for your input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #16

What's the load limit on the rear axle of the ram1500? It should be indicated in the driver's door.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #17

I pull a Gulfstream Gulfbreeze 29bhs with a Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi. It is an ultra lite so that helps. Total trailer weight is around 8200 pounds (loaded). Do I feel it back there? Yes. Does it use a significant amount of gas compared to not towing? Yes. However it does what I need it to and within the boundaries of the weight limits. I am comfortable driving it and have a great wdh setup with anti sway. Of course I am one of those people that are content on doing 55 on the interstate if I'm going far. I enjoy the ride there as much as I do camping. Best of luck!
smonagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by smonagle View Post
I pull a Gulfstream Gulfbreeze 29bhs with a Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi. It is an ultra lite so that helps. Total trailer weight is around 8200 pounds (loaded). Do I feel it back there? Yes. Does it use a significant amount of gas compared to not towing? Yes. However it does what I need it to and within the boundaries of the weight limits. I am comfortable driving it and have a great wdh setup with anti sway. Of course I am one of those people that are content on doing 55 on the interstate if I'm going far. I enjoy the ride there as much as I do camping. Best of luck!
I will second what is said here, as I have posted to another TT owner asking similar question, I have had 2 Ram 1500 Hemi trucks and used them to tow 2 different TT's. The last was 4x4 laramie with the lower rear, with it I towed a 28 foot Sunnybrook, empty it was about 7,000 lbs. Part of my decision was the truck was also to be my daily driver, and was only used to tow on occasion 5 to 10 times a year, weekends and 1 -2 weeks of longer trips. If I was trying to decide on a vehicle for full time use towing I would go to the 2500, but the 2500 as a daily driver was a no go for me. I was quite please with both of the trucks, but the first on had a higher rear ratio and was better for acceleration empty but not towing. The 3.92 rear made a big difference. And, as said above, you know it is there, you feel it, but I always felt in complete control. I had a WDH and sway control, adjusting the ride level and hitch height is critical to control. In my humble opinion, unless you are towing full time up and down mountain roads, I think you will be fine. I also tow 55-60, as I do now in MH. I my opinion no TT set up is adequate to run down highway at 75-80 like I see so many do. And most TT tires are not speed rated for that anyway.

By the way, they were both superior to a 1500 Chevy with 5.7 that I had before them.

Again, just MHO....
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #19

We have the 2500 5.7 hemi. Awesome truck! Has integrated brake controller standard and a whole lot of bells and whistles as far as watching all your temps. And pressures right at your finger tips. We tow a gulf stream 269 bhl with weight dist and sway cont. And can hardly tell its there. We towed it with a half ton before we got this one and it was doable but wow what a difference. Just my opinion for what its worth.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #20

To all those towing 7000-8500lbs with a 1/2 ton. Until you tow with a 3/4 ton you will never get it. BTDT. Most are just kidding themselves. Me personally I don't like towing on the ragged edge, like I have a bowl of fish in the front seat and a box of clean X will overload me.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Huh

Not sure what the ragged edge is or where it starts, but if you are within specs you are within specs. The "close" game could be played endlessly, if you allow for an extra few pounds with a 2500, why not go to a 3500, to be safe. Better yet go to a Ford 450, just to be sure. My rig was within tow rating, hitch rating, tongue wgt rating, GVWR and GCWR, was it close yes, and I wasn't "kidding myself", whatever that means, but posters question was would it work, answer yes. Is he close to max specs, yes too. Towed my rig several years, never a problem. Would a 3500 diesel have pulled it easier..........sure.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
To all those towing 7000-8500lbs with a 1/2 ton. Until you tow with a 3/4 ton you will never get it. BTDT. Most are just kidding themselves. Me personally I don't like towing on the ragged edge, like I have a bowl of fish in the front seat and a box of clean X will overload me.
Pretty much what I had been thinking with all of the Hemi 1/2 ton trucks and the trailer the OP is proposing. Once loaded in the truck and trailer, he is going to be really pushing the limits.

Having towed with a marginal vehicle, RVing is much more fun with a more than adequate truck. After all, RVing is supposed to be fun.

The OP may well feel he is OK as long as he takes short trips and no steep grades. But once you start running for 6 or 7 hours a day, the lighter truck will show it's short comings.

Ken
Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
I have a 2012 Forest River Salem Hemisphere 292FK and I pull it with a 2003 Ford excursion 7.3L diesel. I have air bags on rear axle. Sway bar. Weight distribution hitch. The trailer wants to wag the truck (SUV) when it is windy. I am thinking of getting a larger truck more like a F350. I have towed many smaller trailers up to 28 ft. with my F150 with no problem. But I would not want to tow the 35+Plus 2014 Forest River Salem Hemisphere 292FK with anything less than a F250.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:28 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
The 1/2 ton towers are experts with their one rig and have used a larger and properly matched truck.

Ken
Old 02-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #25

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Why dont you look at the truck specs and see?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Meyer View Post
Hey guys,

We chose our TT and it weighs 7800 lbs. We're looking at the Ram 1500, 5.7-liter V8, crew cab, short bed, 2WD, 17-inch wheels, 3.92:1 axle that has a tow capacity of 10,200 lbs.

I haven't crunched the numbers yet but would this truck pull this TT if equipped with a WDH and trailer brakes?

We'll be packing about 500 lbs. into the TT and empty tanks.

Thanks for your input.
Just for fun lets say the 7800lbs TT will weigh 8500lbs loaded. I know you say you will only add 500lbs, but that's realistically low and dry weights are never what the seem. So 8500lbs is the number. 10-15% for tongue weight. 12% is optimum so 8500lbs =1020lbs for tongue weight.
Not knowing what model truck you have i.e ST Slt Laramie etc it's hard to tell what your payload is. So a high of 1602lbs and a low of 1308lbs from the Ram towing guide site. Still not totally accurate but workable. At 1602 lbs you'll have 582lbs left to put in the truck like passengers, firewood tools, etc. With the low end of 1308lbs you'll only have 288lbs for passengers. Put two people in the truck and you're maxed out in payload.

Smaller TT is better.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've always wondered how the weight ratings were determined.

Turns out not everyone uses a standard so comparisons are not always reliable.

====================
From an article in the Wall Street Journal in the Cars Section:

Toyota Tundra Leads Crowded Field—by a Nose

Friday, December 6, 2013 by Dan Neil

================================================== ====================
(excerpt)

It has to do with truck towing capacity and how manufacturers derive such numbers. Apparently, they make them up, according to some internal regime that they are happy to discuss under subpoena.

In 2011, Toyota alone adopted the Society of Automotive Engineers' SAE J2807 towing standard; which is to say, it uses an independently verifiable, repeatable series of tests to derive its towing capacity.

Among other things, the standard requires laden trucks to be able to climb Colorado's Davis Dam grade, an 11-mile slog that rises 3,000 feet in elevation, at speeds above 40 mph and with the air conditioning going full blast.

I wish I could say, with authority, that Toyota's move was groundbreaking. For all anyone knows outside the few validation engineers at the OEMs, the auto makers' internal standards might be even more strenuous.

I do find it curious, however, that the baseline Tundra 4x2 regular cab with the tow package is rated at 10,400 pounds using the SAE standard, while Chevy claims the Silverado—which is, as I say, mechanically and dimensionally within fractions of the Toyota—is rated at 12,000 pounds towing capacity.

That is a difference of 1,600 pounds, or 15%. The disparity suggests it is an artifact of the testing method, and not vehicle merit.

Toyota has been on a campaign in the past three years to rebuild trust after a series of embarrassing recalls; it is tempting to take the SAE standard as a thread in that tapestry.

In any event, towing capacity is the marquee number in the half-ton truck segment and having automakers gin up those numbers on their own only invites mischief.

Thanks to the Tundra, there is at least one number in the pickup market that you can hang your cowboy hat on.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #28

In my experience towing capacity has been determined by the engine cooling capacity.
Everyone I know that has heating problems with their trucks have been towing heavier then their truck can. And surely not what is on the door sill.
I know more people towing heavy trailers with half tons then duellies.
And everyone has a story to tell and none is about safety.
They feel I can run circles around their TVs and I am maxed out with our 5th wheel.
No one wants a big heavy truck towing their RV part time. They love their 1/2 tons to much.
My neighbor has a lovely F350 4 x 4 all decked out to match his 5th wheel and is using an old Ram 4 x 4 for his daily driver and hoping for the day he can use only one truck for both. He will certainly have a 3/4 ton soon.

Tags
towing