Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #15
I too would advise buying a Ram if you are going to buy used. Seems they depreciate faster and thus you can buy more used truck for your money.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #16
Don't know about depreciation, But , my first Plymouth was a 1963,Valiant converable, dam some good times in that thing.

Except for one ford, i have always bought Chrysler products, yes , as all , they had there bad years. From my hotrod days ( Cuda's ), dam i layed some rubber with that thing,
to now trucks.

No major problems with any, now this is my second Dodge Truck, and with my experience ,no dought in my mind, 'm happy

rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #17
Smile Ram vs Ford

My thought is to go with the Ram but make sure that you get the 3.55 or 3.92 gears. As high as the 7/8 gearing is, don't think mpg will matter much except that I'm sure that you will see better towing mileage with the lower gears. Probably enough difference to equal out driving and towing mileages. As for the 8 speed and hunting, think that as the trans learns your driving habits, it will not be any problem. Also, the gas will definitely be cheaper to fuel and maintain.
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #18
I'd go with neither and go upto a 3/4 ton, then you will never have to even consider if you have too much weight behind it or in it or where your driving too. Plus you get bigger brakes and probably a longer wheelbase depending on what you order. Dodge has the 6.4l hemi and ford has their 6.2l, both are great engines from what ive heard and read so far. Im just a believer is always having more truck then you need that way you can just hook and book! but thats just my 0.02.
Armand8.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:52 PM   #19
Armand8.1 makes a good point. When it comes to fully controlling a trailer the 7,500 lb truck can do it better than a 5,500 lb truck. That is the difference between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton. Yes, 2,000 pounds of extra frame, axles, brakes, and body.

I am thinking talk about trailer sway is always with 1/2 ton trucks and never with bigger trucks.

Now to add to the conversation a 1 ton single rear wheel truck is the exact same dimensions as a 3/4 ton truck.That being the case the 1 ton truck could be the answer.

The price between 1/2 ton a 1 ton might not be that different. MPG will be about 4 or 5 mpg less in the 1 ton.

I also do not hear anyone pulling a trailer saying - I need smaller truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #20
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I'll chime in with my nickels worth (.02 opinion, .03 in fed, state, local taxes).

Not long ago I was a newbie to this forum, with similar goals. Seeking input from more experienced trailer towing people was worthwhile and educational. I'd had good experiences with personally owned Ford trucks, and experience (good and bad) with a variety of the big 3 at work.

Started shopping for an F-150, but listened closely to advice. Long story short, instead of a max optioned 150, ended up with a much more capable F-350 for less than a grand more. Helped out by finding a fleet manager who ordered my truck to spec under the family and friends program. Not any inclination (nor the health) to full time, so a gas powered, short bed, SuperCrew, with an e-lock diffy, was just the ticket. By factory ordering, there was a waiting period, but we got exactly what we wanted, no more, no less.

My wife is happy, the pooches are happy (with that big back seat), so I'm happy!

YMMV, of course! Best of luck in your adventures...
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:16 PM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
IMO the suggestion to go to a bigger truck makes the most sense. Get the right truck first and you will not have white knuckle drives.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:41 AM   #22
The OP is talking about a 24.5' trailer with a maximum weight of 6200 pounds, that Airstream guy in Canada would pull that with a well set up Taurus.

IME&O a half ton truck is considerably more comfortable and easygoing than a 3/4 or 1 ton and if a truck were used as a daily driver as well as a tower I think it would be best to use a 1/2 ton, if practicable. I'm not impressed by more tool than needed, I believe in tools that do the job intended and not in overkill. If I had to lift 50 tons 100 feet in the air 75' from the pin I used a crane that did that--no need to get a crane that would lift more and farther from the pin, that wasn't the job.

On the other hand my experience in these matters might not translate well to towing. But I think lots of fellas like "big gear" for it's own sake.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:18 AM   #23
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by skid_o View Post
We just bought the same trailer and I am towing it with a 2014 ram 1500 Sport. I have the 3.92 gears. I got the air suspension that is very nice. The trailer is good have already done a pile of mods to and have not even been out camping yet. May 1st we are heading out. I towed it 120 miles from dealership and it handled pretty good the shocks on the trailer suspension make a difference. Most of our traveling will be the mountains.
Skid, I'd be very happy to hear of your experiences with the combo. I spent a lot of time looking at trailers and feel that this one is above the rest for many reasons.

However I am leaning towards the Ford, since it has another 600 lbs of payload over the Ram. Too bad, the Ram is a very nice truck!
guyofthewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:29 AM   #24
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
What is the dry tongue weight for the trailer, will you carry any passengers or cargo in the bed of the truck? Towing a travel trailer with any crew cab your limitation will not be towing weight but payload and more importantly rear axle weight limit. My TT had a rated dry tongue weight of 500 lbs. Add batteries, propane, hitch, electric tongue jack, light gear in the pass through storage (mostly chairs and Coleman camp stove), my wife, 6 year old and dog and we were at least 300 lbs over weight for the rear axle. (I weighted the tongue at 880lbs last fall with full propane). The hitch weights about 80lbs. My cap weighted 180lbs.

With the truck not even 3 years old, I've now I upgraded to a f250 cc SWB 4wd 6.2L. Of note, my payload capacity and usable weight on the rear axle is now higher than most Ram 3500 (crew cab). We had the 5.0L with 3.73 gears. No problems pulling. Downhill up to a 8% grade it was fine with engine compression. The 10% Downhill I wouldn't do again with a 1/2 ton.

My advice if your looking for a truck and trailer : go straight to a 3/4 or 1 ton. You'll thank me on the first windy day while towing. Ecoboost is great if you need/want the power or tow in the higher elevations, but everyone I know who had one sold it. The resale value is the same for the 5.0L and the 3.5L ecoboost. What does that tell you? . Even going through Yellowstone and Wyoming, we were never short of power on the 5.0L though. Besides, trailer tires are only rated to 65mph.

The more options you add, the lower the payload capacity.

What could be a viable option with the f150 is the hd towing option, but by then you've basically spent as much as a 3/4 ton.
Marcham, you make some good points.

The Ford does have 600 lbs more payload than the Ram (1390 vs 2010), so as you say re the Ram - with the full tongue weight factored in, there would not be very much left over for my friends, the dog, the bikes and my sorry a$$.

I do think that the 1/2 ton will be fine, since the tow rating is nearly double the max for the Creekside 20FQ TT. I will have to ponder your comments on the ecoboost vs the 5.0. Hate to give up the mpg, but of course the ecoboost is more costly to purchase.
guyofthewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:40 AM   #25
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good you're thinking about payload.

A lot of guys around here load up their truck with 3-4 friends, firewood, beer, BBQ, hunting gear in addition to the trailer TW. That can be a lot of weight, especially if all the guys are over 200# and there's a lot of firewood and beer. You're quickly into 250/2500 truck territory with those loads. Maybe if you do it only once or twice a year and for short distances, an over-loaded half-ton would work, but I wouldn't like doing it.

My favourite truck in that class is the RAM 2500 with the new 6.4L V8. Its the only 250/2500 with rear coil suspension and apparently rides very well. And the 6.4L V8 is also a good engine from what I've read. Unfortunately, the unloaded gas mileage is not that good as it's a big, heavy, powerful truck.

And certainly this truck would be overkill for you and one pasenger and your trailer alone, but if you intend to really, really load up the truck as well as tow that trailer on a regular basis maybe you should consider a heavier duty truck.

It's all about payload.
2014 Timber Ridge 240RKS, 700W Solar 420Ah GC2s, 30K miles
2016 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 RegCab SLT, 11.1 mpgUS tow
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #26
Evergreen Owners Club
Oh heck, just buy a Chevy 2500 and call it good
Keith & Drena with Casey & P-nut (dogs) & Gabby (cat)
2014 Silverado 3500HD Dually 4X4
2014 Evergreen Bay Hill 365rl
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:09 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Our 2012 FX4 crewcab ecoboost is awesome!

3 years old now with zero issues.

Will tow 11,000 lbs. if asked to (our 22' dual axle utility trailer,with or without the L39 tractor on it).

Rides like a Cadillac by itself.

Has more than enough horsepower to put a smile on your face when needed.

We flat tow it behind our motorhome without any mods,etc.(which is priceless btw)

Overall mileage is 17 mpg.

Keep in mind that ,unless this truck is 100% dedicated to towing,you will be using it as a daily driver also.

I have an F350 work truck with a buckboard ride that I couldn't even imagine having to use it for every day driving.

Bob and Karen and Penny(our faithful wonderdog)
2014 Ventana LE
2012 Ford FX4 twin turbo / Air Force One / Blue Ox LX 10K tow bar
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:29 AM   #28

Ram 1500 vs Ford F150 Towing Question

I have friends that tow with F250, 2500 Chev, and Dodge 2500. All diesels. Riding to activities was comfy and smooth, and good mileage as a daily driver. They are very happy they chose not to buy less for very good reasons. Something about "don't send a boy...."

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote

ford, tow, towing