Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Also F150 is rated #2 most American made, behind Toyota Camry
I stand corrected. I looked up where I had read it awhile back. It was gm that was lower us parts content not ford. My bad, should've read back before I posted.

However, chrysler is still a seperate company from fiat living and breathing in detroit. Yes fiat owns a large portion of chrysler but is still a US company doing business in us.

GM has a large presence in China with a headquarters there. Does that make gm chinese?
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #44

Ram 1500 vs Ford F150 Towing Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
I stand corrected. I looked up where I had read it awhile back. It was gm that was lower us parts content not ford. My bad, should've read back before I posted.

However, chrysler is still a seperate company from fiat living and breathing in detroit. Yes fiat owns a large portion of chrysler but is still a US company doing business in us.

GM has a large presence in China with a headquarters there. Does that make gm chinese?

Objection: relevance.
To the OP.... Do you ever plan to upgrade your TT? Appears that the 1500 Ram has the capability edge.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyofthewest View Post
I'm a newbie to both towing and TT camping being newly retired
My TT will be a Creekside 20 FQ with a dry weight of 4,400 lbs and max of 6,200 lbs.

It's a very tough choice between the F150 and the Ram 1500, however for me the Ram wins on a number of points.

The tow rating for my configuration (Outdoorsman Trim, Crew Cab, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, air suspension, 3.21 axle ratio) is 8,000 lbs according to the towing guide. The only axle ratio available on this trim is 3.21, even though the website lists a 3.92 option.

The F150 would pull 10,700 lbs (crew, 4x4, 3.5 ecoboost, max towing pkg, 3.55 axle ratio)

The Ram would seem to have a decent amount of headroom, please correct me if I am mistaken. I'll be running up the mountains throughout the West, btw. .......

Thanks all.
I have driven both a Ram with a 5.7L hemi and a 3.5L Turbo trucks.
I really loved the 08 Hemi charger I had. The 5.7L hemi makes good power But it need to be revved up some to get to that power. That is why every one is saying the 321 gears are not good for towing. for a truck, especially a truck that is going to higher elevations the Ford wins easily. It will be less tiring to drive. because of the broad torque the 3.5L turbo engine has. [U]Turbo Equipped Engines will make max torque at [I]ANY/EVERY[I/]rpm where they make Maximum Boost. This is because they get the same gulp of air fuel mix no matter the RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
I would go with the F150 3.5 Eco boost. Higher towing rating, better for towing in the hills, higher safety rating and better resale. The major brands are all good but the new 150 is the best according to all testing and reports. .......
X2 on all of that
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:47 PM   #46

Size does matter, especially in tow vehicles. Go 3/4 ton and don't look back. There is NO comparison between a F150-F250 or Ram 1500-2500. They are almost completely different. The price difference is small and in fact I purchased a new F250 for 1k less than a more thoroughly optioned F150. I don't need leather, navigation, heated seats and electric mirrors, come on it takes a man to drive a truck!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #47

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Size does matter, especially in tow vehicles. Go 3/4 ton and don't look back. There is NO comparison between a F150-F250 or Ram 1500-2500. They are almost completely different. The price difference is small and in fact I purchased a new F250 for 1k less than a more thoroughly optioned F150. I don't need leather, navigation, heated seats and electric mirrors, come on it takes a man to drive a truck!
Is it okay if my wife drives our new F350?

I figure since she drove school buses in high school and college, she could probably handle this little rig

Cheers!

PS. Like you, we found the price diff between a 150 and 250 to be minimal, moving up to a 350 was even a smaller price difference. A lot more truck for an infinitesimal price increase (when shopping through a fleet sales manager).
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #48

The Hemi ram is an 8sp tranny vs the 6sp in the F150, so keeping the revs up where the engine likes and the 3.21 final is not an issue. The Hemi Ram can also be had with 3.92.

But as was said already, get a 2500. Then you can step up to the 6.4 Hemi.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #49

I think people buy Dodges because they like to say "hemi". ;-)
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
Back in the day, always wondered why wedge heads weren't referred to as "wedgies"?
Old 04-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
No they buy them because they're a great riding, driving truck.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:14 PM   #52

and i'm 62 years old and owned many Mopar products, 1 Dakota, 1 Ram 4.7, and now my Ram 5.7 trucks, and NEVER had any major problem with ANY one of them. YES i buy DODGE/CHRYSLER !!!!!!

Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:29 PM   #53

Ugh...The Dodge Aspen was the worse car ever built IMHO. Dodge/Chrysler products are best to buy used as they still depreciate more than most.

The RAM truck is their best product. It does compete very well with Ford and Chevy. Of all the Chrysler products the RAM is the only one I would buy.

But their other products still fall short.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:30 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
and i'm 62 years old and owned many Mopar products, 1 Dakota, 1 Ram 4.7, and now my Ram 5.7 trucks, and NEVER had any major problem with ANY one of them. YES i buy DODGE/CHRYSLER !!!!!!

Jim
Glad you never had any major problem, some of us did. Won't go into specifics, as I don't want to brand bash. My stuff is mostly ancient history, and think the current big 3 all have pluses/minuses.

Cheers!
Old 04-29-2015, 06:03 AM   #55

Ram has not been Dodge since 2010, or so.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:24 AM   #56

Excuse Me !!!

I do remember the bad Chrysler years, so sorry about that, never expeienced those years,yes, but they were the bad years for american auto manufacturing.

Ram Is not Dodge ????????????????????????????????????????????????

Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, towing