Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
That actually raises a bigger question. Why the delay on releasing the MPG figures as the "EPA Testing" excuse becomes more hollow. All the fanfare starting the F150 rolling down the assembly line last Friday. What is the last assembly item? Slapping the vehicle information on the window of the vehicle which is required to have the MPG info. And they are not releasing it telling us they don't have it? What are they hiding. If it was good, you know it would be out there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I really like the looks of the Ram, I like the concept of the engine, I know there are, or have been, some quality control issues, and the fact its is made in Mexico, which I just found out about concern me. but I sure do like the truck.
Ford super duty plant is just down the street....But they have had some issues with their eco6 and their pricing seems out of line, and some other things, but i do like them too.

I have owned chryslers vans, and trucks in the past, both Slant 6, and I have no complaints about them. in fact they were excellent vehicles. biggest problem was they were indestructible, and I had no reason to get something else
My 97 Suburban was built in Mexico and it was a POS....there was nothing wrong with the build/assy quality...it was the quality of the individual components that were subpar (IMO). The fit and finish was great!

My 2012 RAM 2500 CTD was built in Mexico and the fit and finish is about the same (great!)...but with 26k miles and only one trip back to the dealer (emissions too high reprogram PCM) this is in line to be the best vehicle I have ever owned - and I've had plenty (even an acura)...so far it's a tie with my wife's 4runner. I have no brand loyalty but am very happy with my Ram!

tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
That actually raises a bigger question. Why the delay on releasing the MPG figures as the "EPA Testing" excuse becomes more hollow. All the fanfare starting the F150 rolling down the assembly line last Friday. What is the last assembly item? Slapping the vehicle information on the window of the vehicle which is required to have the MPG info. And they are not releasing it telling us they don't have it? What are they hiding. If it was good, you know it would be out there.
There was a write up on motor trend app couple weeks ago on the new ecoboost motor in the f150. There calculations showed somewhere in the 16 to 17 mpg range on mixed city highway driving. I do not remember exact numbers but I didn't think they were very good with all the hype they've been showing about reducing weight and all. Just my $.02
Old 11-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think those little twin turbo Fords are going to have issues down the road if they are used for towing anything close to their rated loads. But hay, I could be wrong. I think the Ram ED has a much better chance of having a long life.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #19

Ram 1500 with EcoDiesel ???

Quote:
Anyone bought one of these. are you towing anything with it??

Is it holding up,

Is it a good truck??

Made the mistake of looking at one the other day, and really liked it.

Great MPG, better than my Nissan frontier,

Tows 9,000 pounds, which should be enough for me to haul a 20-24 footer.

Anyway, thought i should ask, I owned a couple of Slant 6 Chryslers in the past, ands have no complaints, however, this is not a slant 6.

Thoughts on the Ram with an Eco diesel

I have little interest in the 5.7, due to mileage, and I do not haul enough to need a big gas engine, or big diesel engine,

What do you plan to tow? Something small?
The towing limitations may surprise you.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Are you sure that the 1500 RAM ECO Diesel is built in Mexico?

I know that the 2500/3500 is assembled in Mexico from worldwide source parts. Just like the other two manufactures parts are sourced the entire world and assembled at an assembly plant of their choosing.

I believe that I read where the 1500 RAM diesel was going to be assembled at Warren Truck Assembly Plant in Michigan for now.

You do realize that we do have a world economy now and everything we buy has sourcing decision being made every day on where it will be manufactured.

Jim W.

I am not buying a mexican truck, just can't bring myself to do it, with so many good made in America choices... Chevy, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, that can haul a 24 foot or less travel trailer.
Companies have right to build plants where they want, and I have a right to buy whatever I want.
When I have quality choice available, I will buy American made. I much rather keep an American employed than a Mexican.
Especially when the price is a the same, and the Mexican makes a 100 a week.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #21

Quote:
I am not buying a mexican truck, just can't bring myself to do it, with so many good made in America choices... Chevy, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, that can haul a 24 foot or less travel trailer.
Companies have right to build plants where they want, and I have a right to buy whatever I want.
When I have quality choice available, I will buy American made. I much rather keep an American employed than a Mexican.
Especially when the price is a the same, and the Mexican makes a 100 a week.
Be careful with blanket generalizations like that. Not all 1500/2500/3500 are made in Mexico. Absent putting it in plain english for you on a window sticker - which is obviously missing on used vehicles, and sometimes removed/on floor of new vehicles so a prior test drive could see out the window, the absolute way is the first digit of the VIN #. use to work for Lexus and 95% of their vehicles start with "J" for Japan while a most RX models start with "2" for Canada, and the corporate twin to the ES, Toyota Camry, starts with "1" for USA.

A quick review of my local Chrysler's dealers web site, limiting the search to Ram trucks, some started with "1" and the remainder started with "3" (Mexico). All 2500/3500 began with a 3. Concerning the 1500 there was a mixture and wasn't going to tabulate the 144 1500 trucks on this dealer's lot to determine a US/Mexico percentage, however, among the 17 1500 diesel models (an easy database sort), all were made in the USA. While there, I did a quick jump over to the Jeep inventory and all Grand Cherokees - gas or the 3.0 diesel - were made in the USA.

Essentially, you want to look at the VIN, and if it starts with "1" (or lesser used "4") it is a viable vehicle, if not...walk. It is not that unusual and people do it all the time, not necessarily related to place of manufacturer. Tires may vary on the same vehicle, and if the assembly plant slapped the wrong tires on that specific vehicle doesn't make the short list. Likewise, if one dealer has a $999 dealer fee and another has a $199 (or $0) dealer fee, while I might buy from the high fee dealer, I definately use them for additional test drives but they are going to have a harder time with an "out the door" price to be competitive.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #22

It would be easier to forget about the Ram truck if it got bad mileage, and was ugly, and the interior was horrible, but, it is a great looking truck, interior is great, mileage smokes everything else in its class...
Old 11-18-2014, 08:04 AM   #23

And the mileage will only get better as it breaks in. Diesels get loose around 20k miles and it will likely do better than the EPA numbers.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:33 AM   #24

Still waiting for my 6.4 to loosen up after 192k miles...
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #25

The 1500 Ram diesel is built in Warren Mi.Where are all these 150 lb people ? Most of the guys l know are pushing 200 or more.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
The 1500 Ram diesel is built in Warren Mi.Where are all these 150 lb people ? Most of the guys l know are pushing 200 or more.
That's Ram's way of saying a 1500 is for women who are more likely 150 lb or less, real men drive a 3500 dually. (Just kidding)

Tags
diesel