Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2014, 12:09 AM   #1

Ram 1500 with EcoDiesel ???

Anyone bought one of these. are you towing anything with it??
Is it holding up,
Is it a good truck??
Made the mistake of looking at one the other day, and really liked it.
Great MPG, better than my Nissan frontier,
Tows 9,000 pounds, which should be enough for me to haul a 20-24 footer.

Anyway, thought i should ask, I owned a couple of Slant 6 Chryslers in the past, ands have no complaints, however, this is not a slant 6.

Thoughts on the Ram with an Eco diesel
I have little interest in the 5.7, due to mileage, and I do not haul enough to need a big gas engine, or big diesel engine,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #2

We bought one in August but use it as our toad so no towing experience. Vehicle had been great and the fuel consumption really great when compared to our previous SUV. We are averaging about wrong but when we were inn the Florida keys with long stretches of 45 and 55mph speed zones I maxed at 32mpg (that was over 2trips from key largo to key west)
DW and I are very happy with the purchase only wish I would have ordered the air suspension version

spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
Anyone bought one of these. are you towing anything with it??
Is it holding up,
Is it a good truck??
Made the mistake of looking at one the other day, and really liked it.
Great MPG, better than my Nissan frontier,
Tows 9,000 pounds, which should be enough for me to haul a 20-24 footer.

Anyway, thought i should ask, I owned a couple of Slant 6 Chryslers in the past, ands have no complaints, however, this is not a slant 6.

Thoughts on the Ram with an Eco diesel
I have little interest in the 5.7, due to mileage, and I do not haul enough to need a big gas engine, or big diesel engine,
Glad you are enjoying your new Ram 1500 Eco Diesel truck. I have attached a link to the Turbo Diesel Register. Com that I am a member on.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

This site has a dedicated thread on the Ram 1500 Eco Diesel truck see attached link: http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/173-4th-Generation-1500-EcoDiesel

Hope you read these and these may answer any questions that you have on the new Ram truck.

Jim W.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #4

Saw an interesting video comparison of several tow vehicles. The comparison that caught my eye in the video was the F150 with the 2.7 Eco Boost and the Ram 1500 with the turbo diesel. The bottom line was that the F150 smoked the Ram by over a minute to the top of the hill, the Ram did lead for about 200 feet. It was a towing comparison not a race.
The 2.7 was just marginally slower than the 5 liter and the 3.5 Eco and it also smoked the smaller V8 in the Chevy.
It would seem that Ford's bet on the Eco Boost to give the best combo of mileage and towing capability has paid off.
You also don't have the added cost of diesel fuel and the higher repair costs when they will eventually be required.
This is coming from a member who is in the process of buying a Super Duty to haul a 5th wheel. Maybe I should reconsider my purchase and get a new 150 3.5 Eco Boost and a larger trailer. The decisions we need to make to enjoy our great pastime!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #5

09 Harley...
I saw that to. It is on YouTube with a simple search. However, there are major issues with the video to gleam anything significant from it. As a videographer, the first thing that got me was the script. This is flat out a marketing piece for Ford. Listen to the script. Next, who has drag races with fully loaded tow vehicles. This was pedal to the metal for a 3 mile run up a 6% grade. Granted that will task any tow vehicle, but is managed driving, usually with some momentum entering the grade, but not from a dead stop and maximum acceleration. Yes, the F150 beat the Ram eco diesel by 43 seconds and the Silverado V8 by 7 seconds over 3 miles. Notably absent was reporting the fuel economy under those conditions which could have been measured but with those conditions, all calculations would be dismal and really not representative of true driving. Rather, we get the verbage "best fuel economy in its class" without hard numbers that Ford hasn't released even as I type this. It is all just speculation. I also wonder if Ford, as a condition to using the truck, prohibits independent testers from providing fuel info.

Actually, I anxiously await it and wish Ford would release it. If I HAD to buy today, it would be the Ram, but my timetable is Feb/Mar and TODAY the Ford is the #2 but more data may take it to #1.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #6

Ford mileage to be released this week

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/auto...y-line-n246061
Old 11-12-2014, 12:56 AM   #7

Under normal towing conditions that traffic warrants the Ram Ed will do just fine. It's not how fast you can get there, it's how good the setup is. Get the right trailer with the right truck and the trip will be just as enjoyable. My 12 Ram CTD came in 3rd in all the acceleration tests. Funny how those test don't mean a thing when the speed limit is 55mph on Oregon highways and 65 mph on the freeway. I never have any trouble getting where I'm going. Even if I had 600hp and 1000tq I couldn't get there any faster without getting a ticket. All that power is worthless when you're stuck behind a line of cars coming home after a weekend of camping on a Sunday afternoon.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #8

I really like the looks of the Ram, I like the concept of the engine, I know there are, or have been, some quality control issues, and the fact its is made in Mexico, which I just found out about concern me. but I sure do like the truck.
Ford super duty plant is just down the street....But they have had some issues with their eco6 and their pricing seems out of line, and some other things, but i do like them too.

I have owned chryslers vans, and trucks in the past, both Slant 6, and I have no complaints about them. in fact they were excellent vehicles. biggest problem was they were indestructible, and I had no reason to get something else
Old 11-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #9

Quote:
I really like the looks of the Ram, I like the concept of the engine, I know there are, or have been, some quality control issues, and the fact its is made in Mexico, which I just found out about concern me. but I sure do like the truck.
Ford super duty plant is just down the street....But they have had some issues with their eco6 and their pricing seems out of line, and some other things, but i do like them too.

I have owned chryslers vans, and trucks in the past, both Slant 6, and I have no complaints about them. in fact they were excellent vehicles. biggest problem was they were indestructible, and I had no reason to get something else
You must live in Louisville. My dad lives within a few miles of the SD plant as well, near the Summit Mall.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Saw an interesting video comparison of several tow vehicles. The comparison that caught my eye in the video was the F150 with the 2.7 Eco Boost and the Ram 1500 with the turbo diesel. The bottom line was that the F150 smoked the Ram by over a minute to the top of the hill, the Ram did lead for about 200 feet. It was a towing comparison not a race.
The 2.7 was just marginally slower than the 5 liter and the 3.5 Eco and it also smoked the smaller V8 in the Chevy.
It would seem that Ford's bet on the Eco Boost to give the best combo of mileage and towing capability has paid off.
You also don't have the added cost of diesel fuel and the higher repair costs when they will eventually be required.
This is coming from a member who is in the process of buying a Super Duty to haul a 5th wheel. Maybe I should reconsider my purchase and get a new 150 3.5 Eco Boost and a larger trailer. The decisions we need to make to enjoy our great pastime!
I wouldn't count on that mileage. My sister and b in law have the Eco boost Ford and never get better than 17 mpg.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #11

Payload is the problem with RAM 1500 diesel. A 4x4 crew cab has 1000# payload. Add a driver and another passenger at 150# each and there's only 700# remaining for hitch and chips. Weird considering the gas v6 has >600# more capacity in the load.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugghead View Post
Payload is the problem with RAM 1500 diesel. A 4x4 crew cab has 1000# payload. Add a driver and another passenger at 150# each and there's only 700# remaining for hitch and chips. Weird considering the gas v6 has >600# more capacity in the load.
It might seem odd, but it's really not because the iron block diesels are often much heavier than gassers. That always goes against payload.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #13

I think that little 2.7 will get the worst fuel economy when towing. The 3.5 ecoboost has not gotten the stellar numbers claimed and although the 2015 f150 is lighter, its also losing 75ft/lbs of torque and about 100hp. I bet it gets exactly what the 3.5 ecoboost gets interms of fuel economy towing say 5k. Probably 2mpg better when unloaded.
Also, my concern is with the weight of the truck. I thought you wanted a heavier tow vehicle for stability. This weight reduction basically makes this about as useful as a screen door on a submarine
Old 11-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:

Are you sure that the 1500 RAM ECO Diesel is built in Mexico?

I know that the 2500/3500 is assembled in Mexico from worldwide source parts. Just like the other two manufactures parts are sourced the entire world and assembled at an assembly plant of their choosing.

I believe that I read where the 1500 RAM diesel was going to be assembled at Warren Truck Assembly Plant in Michigan for now.

You do realize that we do have a world economy now and everything we buy has sourcing decision being made every day on where it will be manufactured.

Jim W.

Tags
diesel