Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2016, 10:11 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I didn't say it was hard on it, I meant that who likes to tow that way?
To each their own. I'm not trying to tell others how they should tow. I prefer (my opinion) the diesel towing experience, both up and down mountain passes. Some folks can't afford the diesel engine extra purchase cost, new or used. Telling them my opinion doesn't make a few thousand bucks appear in their bank account to be able to get one.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2016, 10:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
To each their own. I'm not trying to tell others how they should tow. I prefer (my opinion) the diesel towing experience, both up and down mountain passes. Some folks can't afford the diesel engine extra purchase cost, new or used. Telling them my opinion doesn't make a few thousand bucks appear in their bank account to be able to get one.
Where did I say the OP should get a diesel?

Old 02-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Oh never mind. I can see this may start to go around in ever increasingly wobbly circles.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No way would I personally try to tow at 100% of allowed load. The towing charts that are available generally are for flat and level pulling. When you start adding in grades, especially severe grades, the game changes. And it depends too on how much mountain towing you plan to do. Once a year? One grade? You have to establish your comfort level. I like the previous poster who suggested 80%. Thats a pretty reasonable reserve. The other thing I haven't seen mentioned here is frontal area of the trailer. If you read the fine print in most towing guides, there is usually some stipulation on maximum frontal area as well because of the huge amount of air you are pushing. I have seen people buy a truck that fits the numbers just barely and then never be happy with the truck. Its works, but it strains to work. A lot of it is just common sense.
jt
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
This is probably the best advice/comment I have seen on the whole gas vs diesel debate. Trouble is a lot of folks have no basis or experience to make the choice between gas vs diesel. I have a trucking, towing, rving background so I can make my own choices. The guy who has sat at a desk for 25 years and now wants to tow a TT hasn't a clue as to what he will be happy with.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #20

Thanks to all, your all just trying to help and I appreciate that
Old 02-03-2016, 11:42 PM   #21

Go to Ram Trucks - Pickup Trucks, Work Trucks & Cargo Vans select Towing and Capability,
and then from the drop down menu click "Look Up My Vehicle." Enter your VIN

This was the best, totally specific to my truck. Got my answer. Thank you
Old 02-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #22

To to OP.
I also have the 2500 6.4 with a 4.10 gear ratio.
On a fifth wheel you get limited real quick with cargo weight. On my truck I can haul about 2700-2900 lbs on cargo. That ain't much. My tires are rated for about 7,000 load, but prudence calls to not push the limit. Most nicer 5th wheels will have a hitch weight that starts around 2,000 lbs dry. so once you figure in a heavy hitch, people in the truck, junk in the trailer you will have gone over the stated capacity pretty quickly.
On the interesting side----a Ram 2500 with the CTD has a stated capacity which would only allow it to tow a very small 5th wheel and many of the larger TT units would tax the 1900 lb cargo capacity of that rig. ( I am comparing my truck with the 6.4 and the same truck with the CTD) But the response from most forum people is that being it is a diesel that rated capacity means nothing because it is a diesel! LOL Many feel nobody should tow with a gasoline powered vehicle and many folks don't feel a 5th wheel should be hooked to anything other than a 1 ton dually. I have asked the same questions as you and got those responses.
All that being said, I do find in order to get a nice 5th wheel my wife and I would like may not be in the cards. They do make many really nice TT's that this truck could tow the snot out of. I am aiming at a TT right now. Those Northwood units are pretty nice.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #23

RAM uses SAE J2807 standard to establish it's tow ratings. Google J2807 to see the test criteria the SAE uses to come up with them, then make up your own mind if you want to be more conservative.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #24

Gear ratio makes a huge difference on towing capability.

I am not sure which 2500 the OP has but he is showing a 13K tow capacity with the 6.4. With my 4.10 geared Mega cab I have a tow capacity of 15,250 lbs. With the 3.73 gears it drops to 12,250. Both have a payload of 2903 lbs. This is a for a 4X4 Big Horn short bed.

I'd think the best way to figure how big a 5th wheel you can tow is to first understand where your gross weight will be.
Yes, all 5th wheel trailers have a gross weight listed on them.
That does not mean you will ever have that sort of weight on the trailer. IE, we have looked at some real nice Arctic Fox 5th wheel trailers.
Here are some specs on the 2015 model of the 27 5L:

Dry Hitch Weight (approx. Lbs.): 1868
Net Carrying Capacity: 3750
Gross Dry Weight Lbs.: 9650
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) Lbs.: 13400

Who in the world is ever going to load over a ton and a half in a 29.5' trailer? Gosh, even my wife couldn't do that.
I read an article that said the average couple takes about 500 lbs of food, clothes, booze, etc with them. Full timers a lot more.
Between some water in the tank, batteries, LPG, chocks, blocks, tools, hoses etc you will have another 750 lbs or so. Many travel with the water tank empty, a few travel with it full. I normally carry about 10-20 gallons for just in case. So the water weight can vary.

So to be on the safe side let's say you will carry a total of 1500 lbs in the small 27 5L. That would put the weight of the trailer at around 11,000-11,500 lbs total. That would be an easy tow for his 2500 with the 6.4 even with the 3.73 gears.

But now, hitch weight! An 11,500 lb trailer will have about 2,300 lbs on the hitch if you figure 20% At 25% it's 2,875! Add the weight of what you got in the truck both breathing and inert and the weight of the 5th wheel hitch and you are well over the 2,903 lbs payload listed for this vehicle.
Over the listed weight capacity, but I wager the truck would do just fine.

Now lets look at a TT. I'll use the Arctic Fox 31D which is a 35.5' trailer.

Dry Hitch Weight (approx. Lbs.): 923
Net Carrying Capacity: 3562
Gross Dry Weight Lbs.: 8438
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) Lbs.: 12000

With this the OP can just buy a good hitch and load rocks in the trailer to get to the 3,562 load capacity and take off. At 12,000 lbs the hitch weight would be between 1,200 and 1,500 lbs.

But if you use the same cargo amount we used for the 5th wheel of 1,500 lbs we'd have a hitch weight of about 1,000 to 1,200 lbs. The loaded trailer would weigh around 10,000 lbs.
The 6.4 would run away with this rig.
And, the way Northwood builds these Arctic Fox trailers makes them some of the heavier trailer for their size. Hence the high cargo capacity on them.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:30 PM   #25

I have a 40 ft 5 th wheel and find towing a light 30ft TT much harder to do with my truck. No way I would tow a 10000 lbs TT. But I tow our 15000 lbs unit with great confidence.
The pin load on the axle makes towing a heavier 5Th wheel safer and easier. Been towing at my TVs limits for 24 years with comfort, but only 5th wheels. TTs much lighter is a challenge.
Enjoy.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
I have a 40 ft 5 th wheel and find towing a light 30ft TT much harder to do with my truck. No way I would tow a 10000 lbs TT. But I tow our 15000 lbs unit with great confidence.
The pin load on the axle makes towing a heavier 5Th wheel safer and easier. Been towing at my TVs limits for 24 years with comfort, but only 5th wheels. TTs much lighter is a challenge.
Enjoy.
Agreed, I also have towed 5th wheels and like them. But for me to get a 5th wheel that fits me I'd need to go with a 1 ton DRW truck. My 3/4 ton can only handle 2900 lbs worth of cargo which by the time I load up on people, hitch, junk and gas doesn't leave me much. I'm currently towing a 31 ft Keystone that weighs maybe 8500 lbs and I sometimes can't tell its back there. Most 5th wheels in my weight range are too short in the bedroom/bath area for my 6'6" frame and also built pretty tinny which I have now. I can get a small Arctic Fox or a Fox Mountain 5'er that I can handle okay, but I'd have very little to no margin on my weight capacity. Or I can get a much roomier Arctic fox TT with room to spare on cargo capacity.