RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #1

Ram 2500 rough ride question

I own a 2018 RAM 2500 CTD and I have a question about the rough ride. I've had quite a few 1/2 ton trucks but this is my first 2500. When I first purchased the truck I noticed a shimmy when driving on the highway (I wasn't towing at the time) so I took the truck back the dealer to have the tires re-balanced. That seemed to help some, but the truck still seems like something is off. If I'm on a smooth black top road, it rides fine until I hit a bump. Then it feels like the truck feels like the bed of truck skips or bounces more than it should. This happens when the bed empty or with few hundred lbs of crap in it. Almost like the tires are momentarily out of balance. I don't know if its because the tires are still slightly out of balance or if this is just normal for a 2500. I read about Centramatic Wheel Balancers and I was wondering if they might help. Tire Balancers, Tire Balancing, Wheel Balancer and Wheel Balancing from Centramatic

A couple weeks ago I loaded up the truck with tools (table saw, chop/miter saw, compressor, nail guns, wood, etc.) and headed up to my sons place (1 hour away) to do some repairs. When I got there my Rolair compressor, one of my nail guns and my Dewalt miter saw didn't work properly or at all. Luckily I was able to get everything working again by just taking them apart and readjusting everything. The vibrations caused the tools tools to go out of wack. That never happened with my other trucks and I've taken them as far as northern Maine (8-9 hrs drive) so I suspect that I have some sort of a vibration issue and I'm not sure why. The truck has Firestone Transforce AT tires on it that are inflated to 65 lbs in the front and 80 lbs in the rear. I guess they could be the issue, I just don't know.

Does anyone have any experience with Centramatic Balancers or know if the skipping I'm feeling is normal?

BeerBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
I own a 2018 RAM 2500 CTD and I have a question about the rough ride. I've had quite a few 1/2 ton trucks but this is my first 2500. When I first purchased the truck I noticed a shimmy when driving on the highway (I wasn't towing at the time) so I took the truck back the dealer to have the tires re-balanced. That seemed to help some, but the truck still seems like something is off. If I'm on a smooth black top road, it rides fine until I hit a bump. Then it feels like the truck feels like the bed of truck skips or bounces more than it should. This happens when the bed empty or with few hundred lbs of crap in it. Almost like the tires are momentarily out of balance. I don't know if its because the tires are still slightly out of balance or if this is just normal for a 2500. I read about Centramatic Wheel Balancers and I was wondering if they might help. Tire Balancers, Tire Balancing, Wheel Balancer and Wheel Balancing from Centramatic

A couple weeks ago I loaded up the truck with tools (table saw, chop/miter saw, compressor, nail guns, wood, etc.) and headed up to my sons place (1 hour away) to do some repairs. When I got there my Rolair compressor, one of my nail guns and my Dewalt miter saw didn't work properly or at all. Luckily I was able to get everything working again by just taking them apart and readjusting everything. The vibrations caused the tools tools to go out of wack. That never happened with my other trucks and I've taken them as far as northern Maine (8-9 hrs drive) so I suspect that I have some sort of a vibration issue and I'm not sure why. The truck has Firestone Transforce AT tires on it that are inflated to 65 lbs in the front and 80 lbs in the rear. I guess they could be the issue, I just don't know.

Does anyone have any experience with Centramatic Balancers or know if the skipping I'm feeling is normal?
I've used Centramatics. They work.

As far as the wiggle, it could be a bad tire.

Try getting them rotated.

sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #3

If your feeling a front end shimmy after a re- balancing , get those tires moved to the rear and see if the condition changes ; if it does return the questionable tire to the tire manufacturer's dealer for examination and possible replacement .

What tire pressure are you running ?
Do you reduce tire pressure when not towing ?
Two or four wheel drive ?
3/4 ton suspension and tires are designed to carry at least a ton more weight than a 1/2 ton , the ride is going to be rougher, but there are things that can be tried to reduce the issue .
Old 07-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #4

Look for stones in your tires. I will get a slight vibration in my F-250 because of stones in the tires. I take a screw driver and pry out all the stones and I am driving smooth for the next month.

Now I keep a screw driver in my drivers side door. And now conditioned to look for stones in my tires. As soon as I see one I pry it out.

Maybe this is you problem too. Let's hope so as it is easy to fix. At least the vibration part of your problem.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #5

I think a lot of what you are describing is just normal HD truck harshness. Coming from a half ton it is a big difference. The trucks just can't support 3000# in the bed and have a ride like a half ton that is rated for 1200#.

I'd definitely keep looking for problems with the tires to rule that out but realize the ride is only going to be so good. I generally travel with about 300# of stuff in my bed and things go flying everywhere unless they are held down.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #6

The truck has Firestone Transforce AT tires on it that are inflated to 65 lbs in the front and 80 lbs

No, I was told not too by the dealer.

4x4

It's not harshness that bothers me, it's the way it continues to bounce or vibrate of the intial hit. Its like the tires go out of balance for a second after I hit a bump.

I will try and reduce the pressure in the rear tires when I'm not towing and see if that helps.
BeerBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
The truck has Firestone Transforce AT tires on it that are inflated to 65 lbs in the front and 80 lbs

No, I was told not too by the dealer.

4x4

It's not harshness that bothers me, it's the way it continues to bounce or vibrate of the intial hit. Its like the tires go out of balance for a second after I hit a bump.

I will try and reduce the pressure in the rear tires when I'm not towing and see if that helps.
A live axle with a panhard rod is going to tramp about when you hit bumps.

It's just what they do.

It can be masked with softer spring, but as discussed earlier, you need stiff springs to carry the potential weight the truck is rated for.

There is just more inertia with the heavier underpinnings, and that keeps moving. Especially if your tires are pumped up.

Lots of guys drop 20psi when driving unladen around town. It helps.
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:10 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well BeerBrewer, I think something must not be right.

My 2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins Laramie rides smoother than the previous 2014 Ram 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel that it replaced.

Sometimes I reduce the rear tire pressures a little, when I think of it. The ride is that good.

I think I'd try some different tires and go from there.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
My suggestion would be to go to a CAT scale and weigh your truck as you normally load it to drive. Then with that information, download the weight carrying chart for your size tire. Then and only then can you determine the proper pressure to run in the tires. Also, it might behoove you to have the tires checked for roundness.
Best of luck, it is of course at the end, a truck designed to carry a certain amount of weight.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #10

My Ram 2500 rode better empty with airbags aired up to about 15-20 pounds.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:01 PM   #11

What you describe is the classic result of stronger springs. It is stiffer. In your comparison with the diesel vs gasser, the diesel weighs more.

If you think there is an out of balance issue with the tire, take it to a shop and tell them to balance it to zero. But it rides smooth on smooth surface so I don't think it is a balance issue.
diginomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:03 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The factory tires are junk. I replaced mine as soon as I drove it off the lot. My 2017 rides very smooth. The reason the dealer says not to lower the tire pressure is because the tpms light and warning will come on if you have less than 70 lbs in the rear tires.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS950 View Post
My suggestion would be to go to a CAT scale and weigh your truck as you normally load it to drive. Then with that information, download the weight carrying chart for your size tire. Then and only then can you determine the proper pressure to run in the tires. Also, it might behoove you to have the tires checked for roundness.
Best of luck, it is of course at the end, a truck designed to carry a certain amount of weight.
X2!
You need to air down your rear tires when empty. With our 2001 Ram 2500 I would air down to between 45 to 50 psi empty, no more than 75 towing. The tires were rated for 3,415# ea. (6,830# on axle) only carrying 5,700# on the axle.
Two advantages, softer ride, better traction.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #14

You guys think the op could be experiencing a mini death wobble? I do not think this but is it possible on a new(ish) truck.

I test drove a new 2018 gas 6.4 hemi when I was looking 1.25 years ago and thought it drove nice and smooth.

tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote