Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #15

Here's a pic of my big block and camper. It's really comfortable and stable going down the road and runs 2200 RPM at 75 mph in tow haul.

Also, I built the 3 buildings myself in the picture with the tallest one for the 5th wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	april 4 truck and camper 1 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	222
Size:	581.4 KB
ID:	45953  
rlwithrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #16

All three, Ford, GM and Dodge have all had their good and bad products. I wouldn't consider towing unless I were towing with a diesel regardless of brand. Mid 2000 Dodges were notorious for transmission problems, pre 2005 GMs had injector issues and Ford has gotten a really bad rap over its infamous 6.0 Power Stroke and many of the newest models offered by the three suffer from emissions equipment quirks and problems. Do your homework, there is a ton of review information on line about good and bad years for all three and how to fix them so you will have a dependable TV.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I had a 2001 2500HD Chevy SB that had the 6.0L gas engine and the 6SPD auto with 3:73 gears 4X4. I used this twice to pull a 5er; an Ameri-Camp Summit Ridge model. I pulled this to Door County in WI. and I almost got in to a divorce pulling this 5er with this truck. Had a very very very difficult time in getting the truck with the 5er attached through a gas station. The truck was only getting 6 to 7 MPG on a level roadway. Every time we passed a gas station I needed to fill up.

I told the DW either we give up camping again and sell the 5er or I buy a diesel truck. Will we ended up with a 2500HD Ram Mega Cab with the 6.7L Cummins in it and a new 5er.

Oh by the way the Chevy did not have an Allison in it. My youngest son owns the truck now but he will not pull anything with it says it is gas hog.

Jim W.
The only Chevy and GMC that got the Allison was with the one with the 8.1 engine.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
The only Chevy and GMC that got the Allison was with the one with the 8.1 engine.
This may be true, but at one time GM owned both Detroit Diesel and Allison and I've been told most GM transmissions were designed by Allison. But I can't say for sure. They all do resemble the Allison in many ways.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I never said differently.

Jim W.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #20

5th Wheel Hitch

Let me know if you need a 5th wheel hitch. I have a Reese 16K Slider with 4pt leveling to fit a Dodge short bed. You would have to buy the rails separately for a Chevy.
olddog1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #21

Dodge all the way but I would go with 2500 with the cummins motor in it, you will not go wrong with nothing you want to tow.
TTCamper4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy