Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #1

Ram 2500 vs Chevy 2500

I was at a Dodge dealership today - they have a leftover 2012 2500 HD with 8' bed, standard cab. Has 5.7 Hemi - kept telling me that engine has more torque and power than the Chevy 6.0. Does anyone know the truth behind this?

I'm torn between spending lots of money on a "new" 2012 truck or getting a really good deal on a Chevy with low mileage.

Also, the truck comes with 5 ply on tread and 2 ply on sidewalls. My brother suggests 10 ply for tow vehicles - seems to me I may have read that here also.

Can I get some input on both the tires and the engine power between the 2 vehicles?

I sure appreciate everyone's opinion - all input helps me make decisions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #2

Can not help with the engine differences, internet searches may help, BUT, I can help with the tire issue.... LOOK at the tires and see what the load ratings are. Newer tires can have less plys than older ones with greater load ratings due to technological advances. Also see if they are P-metric or LT tires. A 2500 series should have LT tires regardless.

What kind of deal have you found on the Chevy? What cab configuration? New is nice, but saving a few $$ on a gently used truck is great too. What is the GVWR/MAX TOW rating differences between what you have found? What will you be towing? Do both meet your needs?
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #3

I had an 08 Chevy 2500 crew long bed 4x4 with 6.0 gas engine. I had it for 4 months and traded for dodge. I hated that engine. If you hit a slight incline in the road and out of 6th gear it came. The way it changed gears the trans would have been shot in 25,000 miles. Gas mileage was horrid. Driving empty on 200 mile round trip, 10.6 mpg. I was not impressed. Back to dealer 3 times for front wheel bearing issues. Final straw, hauled decent load of treated wood for small handicapped ramp and bowed the tailgate. Traded it.

I now have 2012 ram mega cab 2500 4x4 and love it. Hemi seems to have lots more power and fuel mileage slightly better. I routinely pull gooseneck dump trailer grossing 21,000# and handles it fine.

I have always liked chevys and use to be die hard but I was totally unimpressed with that truck. Also, a comparable ram vs. Identical gm, the ram will be $3-5000 or more less. Just my .02 cents worth.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #4

[QUOTE=onechaddude;1724290]I had an 08 Chevy 2500 crew long bed 4x4 with 6.0 gas engine. I had it for 4 months and traded for dodge. I hated that engine. If you hit a slight incline in the road and out of 6th gear it came. The way it changed gears the trans would have been shot in 25,000 miles. Gas mileage was horrid. Driving empty on 200 mile round trip, 10.6 mpg. I was not impressed. Back to dealer 3 times for front

That is not encouraging - Do not like the report of the gas mileage either. My brother is looking at a 2003 4x4 Chevy with 6.0 and Allison Tranny - it's only got 76,000 miles on it.

I'm on the fence between these two - my gut tells me I don't need a NEW truck and it's way more money than I've ever paid for a vehicle - not to mention the insurance payments will be more.

Such a decision.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #5

A 10 ply tire has two body plies with 3 more plies under the tread but have the strength equivalent of 10 actual plies hence the 10 ply rated tire = a load range E tire

Not knowing the 6.0 GM year model we can't give you a answer.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #6

Chevy 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
What kind of deal have you found on the Chevy? What cab configuration? New is nice, but saving a few $$ on a gently used truck is great too. What is the GVWR/MAX TOW rating differences between what you have found? What will you be towing? Do both meet your needs?

My brother is a car dealer in NY (I live in Fl near Daytona) - he's going to the auction tomorrow and has a 2003 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4, 8' bed, regular cab that he's going to bid on for me. He sent pictures and it looks really clean - has 76,000 miles on it. Since he has mechanics on staff, he will do universals, brakes, muffler, hoses, belts and anything else it needs - at a good price and it will be done correctly. He would also get the hitch put in the bed. I don't know if I'll have it shipped or fly up to drive it back - I do like an adventure......

Either truck would meet my needs, I'm going to get a 5th wheel, 27' or less, so it won't be too heavy. I'm leaning more toward the Chevy now, it will leave me more of a cash cushion for traveling and insurance payments will be easier to deal with too. More money to play with!

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #7

I do not think the Allison tranny has ever been available with the 6.0 gas. I think one or two years was available with 8.1 big block and always with duramax.
Chad
Old 09-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #8

10 ply rating.

[QUOTE=JIMNLIN;1724360]A 10 ply tire has two body plies with 3 more plies under the tread but have the strength equivalent of 10 actual plies hence the 10 ply rated tire = a load range E tire

OK - never understood how they rated that. I did notice that the Ram had an E rating.

I learn something new every day on this site.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #9

Allison

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
I do not think the Allison tranny has ever been available with the 6.0 gas. I think one or two years was available with 8.1 big block and always with duramax.
Chad

On the 2003 Chevy 2500 HD my brother is looking at, he says it has an Allison tranny - and when we talked a few months ago, he said Chevy had a lot of Allisons in their trucks. It's a gas too.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopygirl View Post

On the 2003 Chevy 2500 HD my brother is looking at, he says it has an Allison tranny - and when we talked a few months ago, he said Chevy had a lot of Allisons in their trucks. It's a gas too.
I know more about the dodge trucks than gm but I was just going off of memory. Im just saying I could be wrong I just know I've never seen one. If its the Allison it will be much better than the 4L80 gm tranny. Not saying the gm is BAD, just Allison is much better.
Chad
Old 09-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #11

Back in January I found an '03 GMC Sierra 2500 HD extended cab, short box 4X4 with the 8100 and Allison automatic with only 50716 miles on it. I wanted a crew cab, leather interior and white in color but I'd been looking for almost 2 years for an 8100. My previous truck for pulling the 5th wheel was a 2000 Chevy 3500 4X4 with the 5.7. It did the job but the hills killed it. I ended up getting the '03 gasser instead of a diesel because of the big cost difference in a comparable truck. I bought the 8100 for $15,600 and figured a diesel truck would be another $10,000 more.

I've been very happy with the truck and it averages 8.2 MPG pulling, we don't camp too often (about 8 times a year) and don't get more than 300 miles from home.

If the truck you're looking at does indeed have an Allison, it has the 8100 V8. The 6.0 V8's had L485E trannies. The Allison transmissions have a spin on oil filter that is easy to see under the truck.

Good luck with what ever way you decide to go!
rlwithrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Chad
The Allison was installed with the 8100 V8 from '01 to '07 in the pickup trucks and the L485E was in the 2500 Suburbans with the 8100 option. '07 was the last year the 8100 was available, seen one for sale here locally with 45,000 miles.
rlwithrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a 2003 GMC 2500 HD with the 8.1 engine and Allison 1000 transmission. Excellent truck and pulled my 27 foot travel trailer quite well.

My current motorhome has the same engine and transmission in it. Very happy with the drivetrain.

The transmission fluid is very easy to change on the Allison transmission and I suggest doing that when you get the truck.

It has a drain plug and spin on transmission filter so it's just like changing your oil.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #14

I had a 2001 2500HD Chevy SB that had the 6.0L gas engine and the 6SPD auto with 3:73 gears 4X4. I used this twice to pull a 5er; an Ameri-Camp Summit Ridge model. I pulled this to Door County in WI. and I almost got in to a divorce pulling this 5er with this truck. Had a very very very difficult time in getting the truck with the 5er attached through a gas station. The truck was only getting 6 to 7 MPG on a level roadway. Every time we passed a gas station I needed to fill up.

I told the DW either we give up camping again and sell the 5er or I buy a diesel truck. Will we ended up with a 2500HD Ram Mega Cab with the 6.7L Cummins in it and a new 5er.

Oh by the way the Chevy did not have an Allison in it. My youngest son owns the truck now but he will not pull anything with it says it is gas hog.

Jim W.

Tags
chevy