Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-13-2015, 01:46 AM   #1
RAM 3500 Auto Level Rear Air Suspension

Can anyone tell me about the Auto Level Rear Air Suspension that is available on the 2015/16 RAM 3500? I am about to order a 2016 3500 Laramie (currently have a 2003 3500) to tow my 5th wheel RV. I am concerned about the increased height of the truck bed (5 inches taller than my 2003). The dealer told me that with the Auto Level Rear Air Suspension I can lower the rear about 1 inch to hook-up the RV using the air system, he then showed me a RAM 1500 with the” 4 corner air system” and proceeded to raise and lower the entire truck by about 3 inches. From what I have read on the web this is a completely different system than is on the RAM 3500.
Does anyone have experience with the RAM 3500 Auto Level Rear Air Suspension system and can you tell is you can manually lower the rear. My only interest in spending the extra $1500 for this option is if I can use it to help when hitching up my 5th wheel

Thanks Bill

StarTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2015, 07:10 AM   #2
Cummins12V98 is gonna be so excited when he sees this thread.

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:24 AM   #3
I just talked to the RAM customer service, they claim that the 2500-3500 AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM has several “modes” one of which is Trailer Mode (Lowers the vehicle approximately 1 in (25 mm), He told me that this will function with no load on the truck bed and will help with hitching the 5th wheel RV.
This seems at odds with all of the forum comments saying there needs to have several thousand pounds in the back to work. Can any who has used this shed any light on how this works? The specs show that the normal closed tailgate height on a RAM 3500 with the AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM is 58.3” and should be able to be lowered to 57.3” in the Trailer Mode. Can anyone confirm this?
StarTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:31 AM   #4
Top bed in both pics 55". Alt ride mode in both. The option is actually $1,350 and IMHO WELL worth it. You will spend that on a Quality on board air system with in cab controls.

The ride quality is great loaded or solo. Both pics below the truck is in ALT ride ht.

I had a 11 HO RAM Dually I added bags to but I can tell you this is a far superior setup and the ride is for sure better.

Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #5
I use the air suspension to hook and un hook,It takes the load off the landing gear so I never have to raise and lower the gear,pull the pins and drop the pads to the ground or close as possible ,dump the air and drive out -mark the spot before you level and return to that mark and reverse the procedure to hook up - quicker .
however beware the truck moves very slightly back and forth as the suspension goes up and down,as least mine does.
2005 volvo 670 12 speed auto shift
singled, hensley trailer saver smart car "on deck"
Newmar 34 rsks Torrey Pine
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote