Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #1

Ram 3500 DRW and airbag question

Hi all,

I have a 2010 Ram 3500 CC DRW that is fitted with a B&W turnoverball hitch and companion. We are currently towing a 2011 Blue Ridge 3125RT that has a hitch weight of 1975lbs. With the BR attached, the Ram sits level.
We are about to take delivery on a new Montana 3750FL with a hitch weight of 2270lbs. I was considering adding a set of Firestone air bags to help compensate for the additional 295lbs of hitch weight. It may be unnecessary and it may be overkill but I would prefer the truck to sit level instead of me being able to go coon hunting when I'm driving at night because the lights shining into the heavens.
I do have some concerns about the upper mount on the air bag fitting properly as the top is bolted in the old bump stop location and up against the frame rail.
Has anyone that is using the B&W hitch set up added the air bags to their truck? Any issues during installation or when in use?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #2

I would hook up to the new trailer then see how it does. I bet it won't do much more to the truck.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #3

I have a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW and was considering air bags to raise the back of the truck when towing. However, I just measured 4 inches actual drop with 2,600 pounds pin weight. At that level, the truck is just barely into the helper springs (about 2 inches). So IMO if air bags raised the truck 2 inches, they would cause the truck to constantly bounce off the helper springs.

I also realized that the truck sits high in the rear when not towing and I've gotten used to that attitude. Loaded feels much lower in the rear than it actually is. I have considered adjusting the head lights, but we almost never tow at night.

My advice is drive it the way it is and only mess with it if you absolutely have to. Forums are loaded with people who either love or hate air bags - choice is yours.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #4

Get the air bags. You will not have any issue lifting your rear end level and keeping weight on your front end. Steering and breaking will improve.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundog View Post
Get the air bags. You will not have any issue lifting your rear end level and keeping weight on your front end. Steering and breaking will improve.
How does lifting the rear throw weight to the front? It doesn't shift the point where the tongue weight is being applied.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #6

I installed the Firestone bags along with the Airlift onboard compressor and auto leveling sensor - best thing I ever did for the truck! The sensor allows the bags to fill or dump according to the load, and the truck tows better than any other 1-ton I ever drove.......... JB
Old 09-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies, obtaining and installing the bags is not really an issue. My main question was will I have any issues installing the air bags since I already have the B&W hitch installed.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #8

I installed both the hitch and air bag system at the same time, when the truck was new. No problems whatsoever - BUT my truck is an '08 model.................. JB
Old 09-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #9

Thanks doc, Your information was pretty much verified on another forum. I can't wait to install the airbags and pull the new Montana
Old 09-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #10

Jesilvas, your trucks frame is torqued downward under heavy load in the rear which in turn lifts the front of the frame thereby removing a portion of the front weight off the front tires. Air bags will lift the weight and the frame removing some of the torque from the frame and returning the weight back to the front tires. The tongue weight from the trailer will remain on the rear axles with less torque on the frame. Just my .02
Old 09-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #11

I'd be interested to see if it really works that way with weight tickets. I understand the truck is squatting and I can see how it might shift some weight, but I wouldn't think it would shift enough to matter.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundog View Post
Jesilvas, your trucks frame is torqued downward under heavy load in the rear which in turn lifts the front of the frame thereby removing a portion of the front weight off the front tires. Air bags will lift the weight and the frame removing some of the torque from the frame and returning the weight back to the front tires. The tongue weight from the trailer will remain on the rear axles with less torque on the frame. Just my .02

I'd like to see that in practice. Where did you study vector mechanics and physics? Like above, show me some scale tickets.

I can also bet that a loaded Montana 37 ft FL will have way more than 2200# pin weight. Better figure on 20% of the trailer GVWR as an estimate for the pin weight.

Ken
Old 09-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #13

Well, I was just giving a reply to a question I was asked. but as you feel the need to get personal on the issue....Yep, I have a degree but not in the area you would like me to have it in like I am sure you both do, just 40+ years of towing and hauling experience. I apologize for giving input that was contrary to your views and will try to refrain in the future. That being said, I would like your thoughts on this; When you have a real heavy load in your bed, the front of your truck is lifted up two to three inches and have a lite steering feel, what is happening and why the light steering. Thank you
Old 09-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #14

I have put air bags on 2 Ford 350s equipped with the B&W hitch and had no problem with them fitting--would not know about Dodges.

I do think you will have way more than a 295lb increase in the pin weight with the new trailer, so air bags may help.

Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote