Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ram 3500 recall woes

We'll I thought I would be bragging obout how wonderful my Ram was.But instead i am very disappointed in the Chrysler Corp.They have a recall on my truck for a safety issue on the Front end.Now the dealership informs me that do not have the parts and they won't even have the parts till Feb.But really not sure when they will ever make the parts.Then to make it worse the dealership tells me that they think the truck is unsafe to drive.So all my camping plans will have to be put on hold.That means all my reservations will have to be cancelled so that will cost me cancelation fees.So I not a very happy camper!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Yes the dealership inspected the truck and the service advisor was the one who told me the truck was unsafe to drive.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #3

Would take it to another dealer for second opinion
TurboLQ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
THIS appears to be the most recent recall that your vehicle may be under.

Just between you, me and the gatepost, if Dodge doesn't have enough tie rod ends in the pipeline, I'd be looking at quality aftermarket suppliers such as Moog for replacements rather than cancel my trip. But that's just me.....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Just between you, me and the gatepost, if Dodge doesn't have enough tie rod ends in the pipeline, I'd be looking at quality aftermarket suppliers such as Moog for replacements rather than cancel my trip. But that's just me.....
Me too. Replacing just the left tie rod ends is not going to cost much. Find a decent front-end shop, get the left side tie rod ends replaced, and enjoy the trip.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #6

Considering this was on 2008-2013 trucks, i wouldn't be too worried about it. Those 2008-2012 trucks have been driving around for thousands of miles just fine without issues. We have a few 2012 3500's at work with huge heavy boxes with tools, welders, cranes etc... and we tow very heavy loads and haven't had a single tie rod failure.

I'm not sure how many failures there have been, but in the hundreds of thousands of trucks they've sold, it's a relatively small few that had failures.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
THIS appears to be the most recent recall that your vehicle may be under.

Rusty
I would agree also. In some cases if the manufacturer part is not available, I have heard of aftermarket parts being used until parts were available. Even if I had to pay for it I would if I needed the truck. Usually for safety recalls loaner cars are made available. I would call Ram customer service also to see if they would be willing to save 30 days of rental coverage for an aftermarket part to get you by until the OEM is available.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #8

Just go get a left tie rod end and have an alignment shop put in on. You need an alignment anyway. $50.00 for the part. My truck never got the recall but if it did I'd just take care of it myself. Really bogus of Ram to have this issue and not be able to support it.
If you do decide to replace it yourself you may want to jump on it before others like you want to do it also and the after market parts supply runs out.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #9

There are reports that the after market have been supplying better then OEM parts for years. One of the reasons the front ends have been rebuild for better life.
Most new truck owners are not aware but high mileage rough use owners have for years.
So my vote is to do it right.
But the recall will replace the best rod and leave the OEM if repairs done before, it happemd to me 38 years ago.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the info everyone I will take my Ram to the shop in the morning and check on getting it replaced on my on.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #11

I would tell them that since it's unsafe to drive. I will need a loaner truck and do as you planned. Just make arrangements to meet half way when your truck is done. Bet the parts get there really fast or they'll do the aftermarket work. The minute you use that new truck to tow with, it just became a used truck

Tags
recall