Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Yes, you could tow a heavier bumper pull without exceeding the 2500's limited GVWR and rear GAWR since the bumper pull trailer transfers less weight (~12% of loaded weight) to the truck than a 5th wheel (~20% of loaded weight). The bumper pull would also eliminate the potential short bed cab-to-trailer clearance problem you might have with a 5th wheel.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, as you have already figured out by now, you should have bought a 3500 dually for a full-time 5er. A 36' full-time trailer will have a GVWR of 16000 to 18000# or more. This means pin weights of 3200 to 3600# or more which will be beyond the rating of a 3500 SRW truck and well beyond the limits for a 2500 SRW truck.

With a 3/4 ton truck, and the larger bumper pulls, you will still need to watch your hitch weight.

Now with that being said, there is a large fraternity of SRW truck owners that try to justify pulling large 5ers that are over their weight limits. They do not care, do not know or feel they have safety in numbers.

Just weigh you truck and do the numbers to see what you can tow within the manufacturers ratings.

Ken

Old 06-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #17
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetl82 View Post
Since we bought this 2500 Ram and can't afford to get a ram 3500 , would it be better if we purchase a bumper pull? Thanks to everyone for your suggestions , God Bless.
Do not be misled by people who state that they know someones mothers, brothers, cousins uncle who is/has been pulling a 36-40ft 5th wheel with a 3/4T shortbed without any problems for years. We all make mistakes and no one likes to think that they have made an incorrect decision for whatever reason. I've made them, learned from it and went on. A diesel motor has tremendous pulling capacity regardless of what you put it it and that I believe is where a lot of people think it's ok to combine a mismatched set of vehicles. Try to "listen" to what the people on this forum are telling you as many have the years and experiance to backup the information that is being giving to you and others. Most will not give information just to make you feel better or feel bad or try and justify towing with mismatched combos but instead information to keep you and others on the road safe. If you do, in fact have to keep the current truck and are unavailable to trade, then match the "correct" 5th wheel or pull trailer to this vehicle as it is what it is. The many people on this forum are more than willing to help you through the process.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #18

As a low coat exercise. Go load about 3500 pounds of sand into the bed of your truck and hit the scales. If that does not convince you, nothing will.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #19

I don't know the specs on your Dodge but we towed our Everest just fine with our previous 2009 Chevy 2500 Duramax. The Everest tape measures out to 37' (I never trust those brochure numbers) and grosses at 14000 - within the 2500's specs but at the upper limits. Towing the same trailer with our new dually I can't tell any difference between the two trucks.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #20

Quote:
some of the rv sales guys will tell u anything to sell the rig.
As long as you know this up front , that's a big step in the right direction.

First question to ask an RV salesperson. What kind of RV do you have ?
I've had a salesman , say to me " Why are you asking all these questions about weight? You've got a 3/4 ton you can tow anything you want ! "
Old 06-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
The ram 2500 6.7 4x4 , slt, automatic, crew cab , short bed , I have been told this truck has same rear end as the dually only real difference between 2500 and 3500 is springs , 3500 has one more leaf then 2500 and dual tires , and being long bed, the wife and I saw a 2500 ram pulling a 35 ft mountaineer Sunday and he wasn't having any problem at all, I figure there is a lot of RVers out there pulling too long of rigs,
Hopefully we can find an honest dealer that want try to pull the wool over my eyes so to speak.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
It's really up to you to decide whether you're going to tow over the manufacturer's ratings (GCWR, GVWR and/or GAWRs) for your truck. Ram specifically says that none of these are to be exceeded when towing. If, on the other hand, you're looking for justification from others who are running overloaded, you'll find plenty at any RV park and on any highway as well as right here in this forum. Your money, your family and your choice.

Rusty
Old 06-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Rusty, on a bumper pull is there a lot of swaying on TT ?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #24
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
The ram 2500 6.7 4x4 , slt, automatic, crew cab , short bed , I have been told this truck has same rear end as the dually only real difference between 2500 and 3500 is springs , 3500 has one more leaf then 2500 and dual tires , and being long bed, the wife and I saw a 2500 ram pulling a 35 ft mountaineer Sunday and he wasn't having any problem at all, I figure there is a lot of RVers out there pulling too long of rigs,
Hopefully we can find an honest dealer that want try to pull the wool over my eyes so to speak.
A He/she dealer can be assumed to be honest until their lips start moving. With a diesel motors capabilities, they will generally pull a lot without much effort as I stated in an earlier post. I want to reimphasize the importance of looking at the "whole vehicle picture",(engine, tires, frame, pin weight, the ability to stop with a building attached to your vehicles rear) when you try to match up a 5th wheel or pull trailer to your truck. It appears that even with excellant advise given by many so far, you are either failing to see the big picture or don't want to. Your present vehicle is just to small in its entirety to handle anything more than a 30-32 5th wheel in my opinion. I'm not as familiar with pull trailer sizes so I will defer to others that are. Work with what you have as there is an ideal/safe matchup for your unit.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Rusty, on a bumper pull is there a lot of swaying on TT ?
Not if loaded with sufficient hitch weight and if you utilize a good weight distributing hitch with sway control. I'll leave it to those who pull a TT for specific recommendations in this area.

Rusty
Old 06-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #26

I have two friends who have pulled 13,000 and 13,500 lb 5th wheel trailers all over the western USA with no problems at all and using 2500HD Duramax diesel trucks. Every trip I take I count the number of 5th wheel travel trailers pulled by SRW versus DRW trucks. Every time I do at least 80% of the trucks are SRW. There is a prevailing myth that you need a DRW truck to pull a 5th wheel trailer and it is BOGUS and a disservice to keep propagating it.

The manufacturer provides a GCWR for your truck and if you get your truck weighed at a CAT scale for $10 you can then subtract the truck weight from that figure and know how heavy a full loaded trailer your truck can handle. With the 2012 diesel powered Ram trucks it depends a good deal on the drive ratio. Ram provided diesel trucks with 3.73 and 4.10 gears and the GCWR for the 3.73 is 20,000 lb. while for the 4.10 it is 22,000 lb.

That leaves at a minimum a tow load of 13,000 lb. and you would want to adjust that by 1500 lbs. to come up with a dry weight value of 11,500 lb. for selecting a trailer. With the 4.10 rear end you could go up to a 13,500 dry weight trailer with your truck.

The heavier your trailer the more fuel your truck will burn. The longer the trailer the fewer the campgrounds where your truck and trailer will fit. If all you stay at are the much more expensive RV Resort types of parks then lenght is not a problem and many of the sites will be pull through type. If you want to take advantage of the $10 a night fees at USFS and BLM campgrounds then towing a 35' 5th wheel will put you at a serious disadvantage. If you don't mind staying at KOA types of places and paying 4-5 times as much then no worries.

We have friends who switched from a 28' 5th wheel to a 35' and have regretted it ever since due to the greater problems in finding campsites where they like to stay. We just completed a 3 week trip in eastern CA in the sierras and none of the public or private campgrounds where we stayed could accommodate a 35' pull through truck and trailer rig. Not a single one.

With the advent of slide-outs there is much less of an advantage to a very long trailer. I would recommend looking at trailers with two slideouts in a shorter length. If I were buying one today I would look for something 28' and with two slide-outs.

Actually I would get a conventional trailer so that my truck's bed would still be available for use hauling bikes, fishing boat, kayaks, ATV, etc. which is not possible with a 5th wheel type of trailer.

When I used Tom Steinstra's excellent book to look for campgrounds around Yosemite I found the following information on available campsites.

16' RV - 211 campgrounds 100% of RV campgrounds
21' RV - 180 campgrounds 85%
25' RV - 150 campgrounds 71%
30' RV - 138 campgrounds 65%
35' RV - 88 campgrounds 42%
40' RV - 64 campgrounds 30%
45' RV - 32 campgrounds 15%

I encourage you to travel around your area and go into campgrounds and walk around and talk to the people staying there. Get their feedback on what they do or do not like about their RV and have them show you how they store everything. You will learn infinitely more than you will at RV dealers or shows or on any forum.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
The manufacturer provides a GCWR for your truck and if you get your truck weighed at a CAT scale for $10 you can then subtract the truck weight from that figure and know how heavy a full loaded trailer your truck can handle. With the 2012 diesel powered Ram trucks it depends a good deal on the drive ratio. Ram provided diesel trucks with 3.73 and 4.10 gears and the GCWR for the 3.73 is 20,000 lb. while for the 4.10 it is 22,000 lb.

That leaves at a minimum a tow load of 13,000 lb. and you would want to adjust that by 1500 lbs. to come up with a dry weight value of 11,500 lb. for selecting a trailer. With the 4.10 rear end you could go up to a 13,500 dry weight trailer with your truck.
Ummm, what about the GVWR and GAWRs? One cannot just look at the GCWR or the "manufacturer's trailer tow rating" and stop there. Towing a 5th wheel, a 2500 or SRW 3500 Ram will exceed GVWR and potentially even the rear axle GAWR before it reaches its GCWR.

Rusty
Old 06-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #28
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
I have two friends who have pulled 13,000 and 13,500 lb 5th wheel trailers all over the western USA with no problems at all and using 2500HD Duramax diesel trucks. Every trip I take I count the number of 5th wheel travel trailers pulled by SRW versus DRW trucks. Every time I do at least 80% of the trucks are SRW. There is a prevailing myth that you need a DRW truck to pull a 5th wheel trailer and it is BOGUS and a disservice to keep propagating it.

The heavier your trailer the more fuel your truck will burn. The longer the trailer the fewer the campgrounds where your truck and trailer will fit. If all you stay at are the much more expensive RV Resort types of parks then lenght is not a problem and many of the sites will be pull through type. If you want to take advantage of the $10 a night fees at USFS and BLM campgrounds then towing a 35' 5th wheel will put you at a serious disadvantage. If you don't mind staying at KOA types of places and paying 4-5 times as much then no worries.

We have friends who switched from a 28' 5th wheel to a 35' and have regretted it ever since due to the greater problems in finding campsites where they like to stay. We just completed a 3 week trip in eastern CA in the sierras and none of the public or private campgrounds where we stayed could accommodate a 35' pull through truck and trailer rig. Not a single one.

With the advent of slide-outs there is much less of an advantage to a very long trailer. I would recommend looking at trailers with two slideouts in a shorter length. If I were buying one today I would look for something 28' and with two slide-outs.

Actually I would get a conventional trailer so that my truck's bed would still be available for use hauling bikes, fishing boat, kayaks, ATV, etc. which is not possible with a 5th wheel type of trailer.

When I used Tom Steinstra's excellent book to look for campgrounds around Yosemite I found the following information on available campsites.

16' RV - 211 campgrounds 100% of RV campgrounds
21' RV - 180 campgrounds 85%
25' RV - 150 campgrounds 71%
30' RV - 138 campgrounds 65%
35' RV - 88 campgrounds 42%
40' RV - 64 campgrounds 30%
45' RV - 32 campgrounds 15%

I encourage you to travel around your area and go into campgrounds and walk around and talk to the people staying there. Get their feedback on what they do or do not like about their RV and have them show you how they store everything. You will learn infinitely more than you will at RV dealers or shows or on any forum.
And this is a prime example of the information that was stated in post #16. There will always be some that cannot/willnot acknowledge the fact that supporting documentation/figures do not lie when it comes down to properly matching a truck to the object being towed. I respect the right you have to voice your opinion but the numbers simply will not support it. We will simply have to agree that we disagree.