Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #1

RAM 5th wheel prep

Does anyone have a new RAM with the 5th wheel prep? I'm looking at purchasing a 2916 RAM 3500 with the 5th wheel prep but want to know how it affects the overall height of the hitch. Does using the adapter bracket raise the hitch any higher then mounting in a truck without the pre and using the normal installation rails?

Thanks Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 05:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarTraveler View Post
Does using the adapter bracket raise the hitch any higher then mounting in a truck without the pre and using the normal installation rails?
I'm not sure what you mean by "normal installation rails".

The hitch is a Reese Elite. You can buy the same Reese Elite installation kit used by RAM. When you get it installed, it would be exactly the same as the optional prep kit installed by Ram at the factory. The difference will be cost. The factory prep kit will list for only a coupla hundred bucks, and it's installed and ready to plug in the Reese Elite 5er hitch when the pickup leaves the assembly plant. But if you DIY, you'll pay a lot more for the kit than Ram charges, plus you'll have to install it yourself.

Here's the under-bed rail kit:
http://www.amazon.com/REESE-Elite-30...r-bed+rail+kit

Here's the slider hitch made especially for the OEM under-bed rails in a 6' bed:

Fifth Wheel for 2016 Ram 2500 | etrailer.com

Of course if you don't have the EOM under-bed rails, then you can install the cheaper common "industry standard" Reese in-bed rails and then use any of the numerous brands of 5er hitches designed to plug into those Reese bed rails.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:37 PM   #3

Another benefit to the factory installed option is that Ram has already installed your electrical connection in the bed. And everything is covered under warranty. And you don't have to install it. Here is a picture of mine.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1446158207.484683.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	110680
Old 10-29-2015, 05:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarTraveler View Post
Does anyone have a new RAM with the 5th wheel prep? I'm looking at purchasing a 2916 RAM 3500 with the 5th wheel prep but want to know how it affects the overall height of the hitch. Does using the adapter bracket raise the hitch any higher then mounting in a truck without the pre and using the normal installation rails?

Thanks Bill
Well Star Traveler by 2916 we will probably be in spaceships. :-), but seriously I have a 2015 with the prep and a B&W rvk3600 and it works great. Hope to have a spaceship someday, but the Ram 3500 drw works for now.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
Another benefit to the factory installed option is that Ram has already installed your electrical connection in the bed. And everything is covered under warranty. And you don't have to install it. Here is a picture of mine.
Attachment 110680
Looks like yours is cover under the toneau cover
Old 10-30-2015, 07:36 AM   #6

Thanks for the comments but let me clarify my question. I am concerned about the additional height of the 2016 RAM 3500 compared to my current 2003 RAM 3500. The 2016 3500 is about 5 inches higher then my 2003, what I'm trying to determine is using the RAM 5th wheel prep with the "Picture frame" adapter will make the 5th wheel hitch higher then using the "industry standard rail" installation. I was told by the Pullrite" tech guy that the RAM adapter bracket is almost 3 inches while using the ISR adds only about 1 inch to the overall height of the hitch..

I am concerned about how much I'll be raising the front of my 5th wheel RV, like I said the new truck will raise it by 5 inches. I'll be getting a short bed RAM (currently have a long bed) because the new trucks are not only taller they are also longer (10 inches with the crew cab). I will need to get an auto slide hitch for the short ebb and since both hitches I'm looking at (Pullrite and Hijacker) weight between 200 to 280 labs I won't be taking them in and out to often.
So if using the factory 5th prep with adapter will add to the overall height I would opt for the ISR installation.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Looks like yours is cover under the toneau cover

Heh heh.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:52 AM   #8

Star Traveler (insert ironic spaceship joke referring to your name and previous typo on year) what kind of trailer are you pulling? My buddy just bought a megacab dually with the fifth wheel prep. We threw my B&W companion in there to mock it up. With the hitch set so that the weight is in front of the axle, he has about three feet from the cab to the kingpin. The fiver he is planning to get has those rounded corners meant for short bed trucks, so with his setup he won't need a slider hitch on his 6'4" bed.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #9
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
You guys are missing OP's question. He's asking does the box frame put the whole hitch base plate higher than the puck system install. Thus raising the front end of the 5th wheel which will also lower the the rear of the fifth wheel.

I have the box frame on mounting plates with my Pullrite Superglide 2900 18k hitch on mine. I have about 5" clearance to my tailgate till I fill my airbags on the truck. It drops to about 4" once I've relevelled it. You wouldn't want much less cause if the front of your trucks drops off a curb or decline first, the 5th wheel gets awfully close to the box at the back of the truck. The other danger is when one side of the truck rises or one side drops into a hole. The corner of the truck box could impact the 5er.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #10

Sorry, I didn't really clarify the intention of my last post.

Depending on the trailer a slider may be unnecessary.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:30 AM   #11

RAM 5th wheel prep

While I don't have a RAM I use an adapter plate with the Ford factory 5th wheel prep. I would think they'd be about identical as far as using an adapter plate vs not or just using standard 5th wheel rails. I was told by my hitch manufacturer and from my personal experience that using the adapter plate would raise the hitch around 1/2"-1". I'd say that's very close to just using a standard 5th wheel install with standard rails and almost positive it's within an 1/2" of the standard rails.

I've had all three; standard rails, factory pucks, and factory pucks with an adapter. The adapter for my Hensley TS3 raises it about an inch but the TS3 can't use the pucks alone.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:40 PM   #12

Get this, install full forward with a long bed and in rear position if short bed. Newer 5er if short bed you will be fine.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Get this, install full forward with a long bed and in rear position if short bed. Newer 5er if short bed you will be fine.

Bill, I don't think it has a fundamental impact on height. I have a buddy with the factory option and I'm non-factory. Both require a rail setup in the bed. I'm at 1% total slope from dead flat with a 37' rig.

I'm short bed (megacab). I've got an auto slider, which makes noise and "chucks" when starting / stopping.. I've read great things about the hitch above, but can't get my head around the short bed and making turns without the auto or manual slide option....
Old 11-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Bill, I don't think it has a fundamental impact on height. I have a buddy with the factory option and I'm non-factory. Both require a rail setup in the bed. I'm at 1% total slope from dead flat with a 37' rig.

I'm short bed (megacab). I've got an auto slider, which makes noise and "chucks" when starting / stopping.. I've read great things about the hitch above, but can't get my head around the short bed and making turns without the auto or manual slide option....
I've had Zero issues with mine. I've put it to the test in the past 15 months fulltiming believe you me. Never came close to contact yet, and I have the un-dented cab to prove it.

Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel