Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 01:01 PM   #1

Ram Box

I have a 2016 Ram 2500 with the Ram Box. I have a B&W turnover ball hitch with the companion 5 th wheel. I want to install the turnover ball and companion to tow a 2014 Coachmen 5th wheel. Does any one have this setup and if so what are the pro and cons?
Chaparral is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #2

JMHO: With the standard clearance ; top of box to underside of 5er ; of 4>6" you won't be able to fully open the box lids , so you'll be limited on what you can get into and out of the boxes when hooked up.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:09 PM   #3

RAM boxes are tall too

I think you might find some trouble getting adequate clearance even to the closed tool boxes. If you adjust every setting to get the front of your trailer as high as possible you might be okay. That could mean doing some work on the axles and suspension to lift the rear to ride level though.

I adjusted my B&W companion to the top setting to get maximum clearance to the sides of the standard box after coming real close to contact on a couple of turns on uneven ground. Then go in alternate trailer ride height on my air suspension which lowers the truck to get my trailer nearly level. (a tip from my RAM 3500 advisor, Cummins 12V98!).
Old 08-09-2016, 07:18 PM   #4

I have 7 in of clearance and the Rambox opens with plenty of room for anything I need out of them. I have a Husky hitch with the slider and it is set at the top adjustment. I've had no issues turning. I even have a 3/4 in above the side from the taneau cover rail. I did have to use a Dremel to trim 3 in off the sides of the plastic cover over the pinbox. It looks like cover came that way.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1470791316964.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	135449  
kennjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:05 PM   #5

^^ nice setup Kennjr, Lookin' good!
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #6

Dodge Ram Box

Received word from B&W regarding turnoverball with Ram Box, said can not be done, the pin box on the trailer would hit the side of the Ram Box, it is not the height of the box but the width. The Ram Box is the same height as a regular box but is some narrower. B&W told me I would need a rail mounted patriot fifth wheel and install a Reese Sidewinder pin box. This would allow the trailer to pivot underneath the trailer and not in the box.
Chaparral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
Received word from B&W regarding turnoverball with Ram Box, said can not be done, the pin box on the trailer would hit the side of the Ram Box, it is not the height of the box but the width. The Ram Box is the same height as a regular box but is some narrower. B&W told me I would need a rail mounted patriot fifth wheel and install a Reese Sidewinder pin box. This would allow the trailer to pivot underneath the trailer and not in the box.
Always wondered about that. I know you can't get both the Ram box and factory prep 5th wheel set-up. I sort of figured a sidewinder is the only answer.