Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 04:48 AM   #43

Cab filter??? I have 49k on my 2014 megacab 3500. Kids love the room in the back, but if I get another one it will be a long bed
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 05:30 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Likely because the one you looked at didn't have the factory fifth wheel prep
NOT in the box! In the frame, it's different, the mounts I installed on my 2500 will not work on the 3500 FRAME.
dmstepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:40 AM   #45

Hey if you're spending the money it's not that much more to get a whole lot more truck. I also have a Chevy 3500 srw 1 ton and very happy with it. Not only the towing power but the Allison transmission with exhaust brake is a great feature to have. Tow package is great. All in all couldn't ask for a better tow vehicle and comfortable travel rig. It's not all about pounds and towing capacity.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:44 AM   #46

"you'll not regret firing up that big Cummings and backing up to your home on wheels"

True dat. There's just something about it.

True story. One time, along time ago,at a different age and time, I was waiting on a parking space. When it cleared a little yellow bug slipped in. As the couple was walking in the store, I honked and the guy came over and holler WHAT. I told him you move it or I'll move it. He said yea right. A couple revs on the CTD and the wife grabbed his arm and said I told you not to do that now go move it. He did. He also didn't need to know that I didn't have my chain with me and even if I did I would never really do that to someones car.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:00 AM   #47

Quote:
Cab filter???
Since about 2011 the trucks have a slot to mount a cabin filter. But RAM don't put them in at the factory!!!! Look at Dinos or even Amazon for a "Cabin Filter Kit" for the RAM. This helps to keep dirt out of your evaporator which will ruin it and is really expensive to replace. The kit consists of a filter and a door. You just have to cut out the plastic in the housing behind the glove box to mount the door. The slot for the filter is already there. Just slide the filter in and snap the door on. Change the filter every 20K miles or so. You'll be amazed at how dirty the sucker is even with just highway travel. I think I paid under $40 for mine at Dinos. Takes a box cutter and a pair of pliers and 1/2 hour to install.

Here's a video on installing the Genos kit. My 2009 Ram had an evaporator that looked like the one he shows in the video.

http://tinyurl.com/z4eskye

Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmstepa View Post
NOT in the box! In the frame, it's different, the mounts I installed on my 2500 will not work on the 3500 FRAME.
That is odd. Are you talking the factory prep kit or something else? The frame width (inside 36.3" outside 41.8") and frame height (7.4") is the same on both models. Must have something to do with spring mounts interfering if it's an aftermarket kit. I can't imagine they built these with separate 5th wheel preps from the factory though. I'd have to look under a 3500 to see what is different.
Understand, when I say same frame I don't mean interchangeable. The 3500 uses leaf springs and the 2500 uses coils so there are differences there, but the frame rails are the same size. Same number of cross members etc. It's not like the 3500 has a beefier frame than the 2500, same frame rails, same cross members, same axles, same wheel bearings, same tail gates, same radios etc, just the 3500 has heavier duty rear leaf springs. The 2500 uses coils. Back in like 2012 the absolute only difference between the 2 models was the rear leaf springs. It's like that with most all HD trucks. Legalistic type folks think if you increase the rear suspension rate on a 2500 to that of a 3500 SRW the world will stop spinning and puppies will die. It just ain't so.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #49

Yeah, you'll want 3500.
Single rear wheel should be fine. You won't need a dually.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:27 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Yeah, you'll want 3500.
Single rear wheel should be fine. You won't need a dually.
Ditto on the 3500. From all I hear the ride is similar to a 2500. I have a buddy who had a older 3500, probably a 2008 or so, and now has a 2015 Mega cab 3500. He said the ride is a lot better. I'd guess the longer wheelbase units should ride better. Long Bed crew and the Mega Cab are pretty long wheel base trucks. The 4X4 can be a bit rough over RR crossings etc. But finding a 2WD is almost rare anymore.

Regular cab long box-140.5" WB
Crew cab short box-149.4" WB
Crew Cab long box- 169.4" WB
Mega Cab short box-160.5 WB

This is for SRW 2WD. 4X4's are all .5" shorter WB. DRW units run a little over 3" longer. I think all DRW units, 2WD or 4X4 are the same length.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
Since about 2011 the trucks have a slot to mount a cabin filter. But RAM don't put them in at the factory!!!! Look at Dinos or even Amazon for a "Cabin Filter Kit" for the RAM. This helps to keep dirt out of your evaporator which will ruin it and is really expensive to replace. The kit consists of a filter and a door. You just have to cut out the plastic in the housing behind the glove box to mount the door. The slot for the filter is already there. Just slide the filter in and snap the door on. Change the filter every 20K miles or so. You'll be amazed at how dirty the sucker is even with just highway travel. I think I paid under $40 for mine at Dinos. Takes a box cutter and a pair of pliers and 1/2 hour to install.

Here's a video on installing the Genos kit. My 2009 Ram had an evaporator that looked like the one he shows in the video.

http://tinyurl.com/z4eskye

I'll check it out. Thanks!
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
That is odd. Are you talking the factory prep kit or something else?
No, I installed a Demco kit for my older hitch and the factory holes with nuts attached inside the frame is not there on the 3500. So, it might be same material, tensile strength, and dimensions, but maybe because of the difference of the coil mounts to leaf spring mounts, that part is different. I wish I took a picture to show, but I did not.
dmstepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #53

Quote:
I'll check it out. Thanks!
You won't be sorry. On my 2009 I had a $1,200 bill to repair mine. Had to pull the whole dash off. As long as it was off I had them replace the heater core (also plugged) and the blend door valve.

I had a 2011 Patriot and I pulled the cabin filter on that at about 40K miles. It had a tremendous amount of dirt in it. That is on a rig that has never been on a dirt road! I changed the filter on my 2013 Durango at 30K miles and it was super plugged as well. All that dirt the filter caught would of gone into that wet evaporator and turned to mud. That mud corrodes the aluminum and bang, you gotz a leak. I plan of replacing mine every 15-20K miles. It takes about 1 minute to change and it's a good time to get all those gum wrappers, soiled condoms, doobie roaches etc out of the glove box.

For about $2.13 the factory could put these on. Why they don't is beyond me. But they do like that 6 hour job of fixing it once you get up to 60,000 miles or so. Very normal almost everyday job at the RAM service center!
Old 05-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmstepa View Post
No, I installed a Demco kit for my older hitch and the factory holes with nuts attached inside the frame is not there on the 3500. So, it might be same material, tensile strength, and dimensions, but maybe because of the difference of the coil mounts to leaf spring mounts, that part is different. I wish I took a picture to show, but I did not.
Yeah, I wager the spring hanger difference. You took it off a 2500 with coils correct?