Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #1

RAMs and exhaust brakes

I've ordered a new RAM which has an exhaust brake ( my old one doesn't). Can this be switched of if I want? Thanks in advance.
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #2

elliott-maine , yes sir it can be turned off/on at will there will be a button on dash to turn off and on, have not towed anything with mine yet as we have a Class A at the moment but we will be picking up our 2014 Dynamax Trilogy July 15th, but I have played with it hauling mulch , works great !
Defiant530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #3

Thanks.
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #4

Hi, I have own a 6.7L Cummins since Nov of 07. In that time frame. I have learned a lot about the 6.7L engine. The exhaust brake is normally off and needs to be switched on. On the 2013 trucks there is a new feature which has auto engage which will maintain the set speed as you descend a hill.

I would also recommend that you use the exhaust brake all the time as this will help to prevent soot build up in the VGT on the sliding vanes and causing issue with the VGT.

I use mine alll of the time and drive the truck with the exhaust brake on never turning it off. The exhaust brake provides 240 HP in braking force which helps in saving and extending the brake pad life. I have over 65,000 miles on the truck and the brakes pads are like new still.

Jim W.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #5

The exhaust brake closes the inlet vanes on the turbo. It should not be left on all the time or the life of the exhaust valves is likely to be shortened. With some trucks it is engaged only when in Tow Haul mode. I don't even use the exhaust brake on most downgrades, only ones in the 7% and up range where I need the extra braking.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Service manager at Dodge told me to run the exhaust brake all the time for the reasons mentioned by jimcummins above. The other advice was to drive it like you stole it! He also recommended that if 2,000 miles had passed without working the truck hard I should put the trans in 4th gear at 40 mph, open the throttle wide until 70mph, then snap off the throttle and let the exhaust brake bring the speed back down to 40. Repeat 3 times. I've only got 14,000 miles on the truck so I don't know if it works.
Previous TV was a F350 PSD that needed a new turbo at 100,000 miles (along with a lot of other stuff before then). Ford service manager said my turbo failed because I drove the truck too gently!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
The exhaust brake closes the inlet vanes on the turbo. It should not be left on all the time or the life of the exhaust valves is likely to be shortened. With some trucks it is engaged only when in Tow Haul mode. I don't even use the exhaust brake on most downgrades, only ones in the 7% and up range where I need the extra braking.

Not overly familiar with the dodge set up but if the turbo has a variable geometry turbo, the vanes are constantly moving the entire time from start up to WOT. The best thing for a VGT setup is to "exercise" the vanes in the turbo to keep the soot and rust build up to a minimum.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davey View Post
Service manager at Dodge told me to run the exhaust brake all the time for the reasons mentioned by jimcummins above. The other advice was to drive it like you stole it! He also recommended that if 2,000 miles had passed without working the truck hard I should put the trans in 4th gear at 40 mph, open the throttle wide until 70mph, then snap off the throttle and let the exhaust brake bring the speed back down to 40. Repeat 3 times. I've only got 14,000 miles on the truck so I don't know if it works.
Previous TV was a F350 PSD that needed a new turbo at 100,000 miles (along with a lot of other stuff before then). Ford service manager said my turbo failed because I drove the truck too gently!
I don't know exactly why they recommended a turbo but unless it was leaking oil or the bushings was worn our causing the impeller or turbine to hit the case, it usually just needs the soot cleaned out. In some very rare cases the center section can be replaced. This is assuming that you had a 6.0L prior.

The best thing for any emissions controlled diesel is to hook up a heavy load and tow the dog snot out of it. This will help generate enough heat in the exhaust to burn off the soot in the EGR and VGT.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Not overly familiar with the dodge set up but if the turbo has a variable geometry turbo, the vanes are constantly moving the entire time from start up to WOT. The best thing for a VGT setup is to "exercise" the vanes in the turbo to keep the soot and rust build up to a minimum.
The Holset VGT does not use movable vanes. It uses a sliding nozzle ring that varies the nozzle area of the turbocharger based on engine speed, load, etc. Using the exhaust brake at all times moves the nozzle ring to minimum area position whenever the throttle is released, thereby providing the exhaust braking function. My Ram tech also recommended using the exhaust brake at all times to minimize soot/carbon buildup, and this is SOP among owners on Cummins forums such as the Turbodiesel Register. Rust isn't a problem with the Holset.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
The Holset VGT does not use movable vanes. It uses a sliding nozzle ring that varies the nozzle area of the turbocharger based on engine speed, load, etc. Using the exhaust brake at all times moves the nozzle ring to minimum area position whenever the throttle is released, thereby providing the exhaust braking function. My Ram tech also recommended using the exhaust brake at all times to minimize soot/carbon buildup, and this is SOP among owners on Cummins forums such as the Turbodiesel Register. Rust isn't a problem with the Holset.

Rusty
thanks for the correction. But defiantly agreed that keeping the system always moving (even using the exhaust brake) is the best thing for turbos for cleanliness. I will have to google some pics of it.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:18 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
I will have to google some pics of it.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes