Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
A diesel without an exhaust brake has less compression braking than a gasoline engine.
As long as you buy new, all of the big 3 diesels come with exhaust brakes.
If you buy used, be careful and do research.
I wouldn't own a diesel without an EB.
FYI, Ram trucks have had a factory standard with cummins diesel since 2007.5 model year. I think GM with duramax since 2011. I'm not as knowledgeable about ford but I think only had factory exhaust brake a year or so.

Of course aftermarket suppliers can add EB to most all diesels.

Chad

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #16

Guess I will spend the extra money and go with the diesel truck. Now, I need to choose between a gm product, or dodge cummins. Probably will be September and I will post some pictures after the purchase. Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I have a Montana High Country and it Gross's 14400 and I had a 2015 F-250 Gasser and it pulled it fine on the flat. I could put the cruise on at 65 and it did fine with that as well. My biggest problem was getting in the mountains and going down hill. The 6.2 is a real strong motor but...... my plan was to go out west next year and I wasn't going to do it with this truck. I just bought a f-350 dually with the 6.7 and it is what I hoped it would be. My 2 cents if you are going to stay on the flats and you get a 5er that is under 12,000 you can make it work. Just like everybody says its not the going part its the emergency stop. I made the mistake of getting the truck first and then had it in my mind that we would get something light..... yeah mistake that cost a few thousand but glad I did the right thing. Somebody says the 6.2 gasser isn't strong motor isn't being honest or they haven't driven one. I traded because the braking. Happy hunting and remember it only takes once and I didn't want to go there .
Old 07-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by roothoss1282 View Post
I have a Montana High Country and it Gross's 14400 and I had a 2015 F-250 Gasser and it pulled it fine on the flat. I could put the cruise on at 65 and it did fine with that as well. My biggest problem was getting in the mountains and going down hill. The 6.2 is a real strong motor but...... my plan was to go out west next year and I wasn't going to do it with this truck. I just bought a f-350 dually with the 6.7 and it is what I hoped it would be. My 2 cents if you are going to stay on the flats and you get a 5er that is under 12,000 you can make it work. Just like everybody says its not the going part its the emergency stop. I made the mistake of getting the truck first and then had it in my mind that we would get something light..... yeah mistake that cost a few thousand but glad I did the right thing. Somebody says the 6.2 gasser isn't strong motor isn't being honest or they haven't driven one. I traded because the braking. Happy hunting and remember it only takes once and I didn't want to go there .
By the way I didn't pull it with the 6.2 at gross (14400) it was about 11,500 at cat scales.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #19

When we were doing the 5er thing we had the Kodiak and the EB was standard, safest small Truck to tow with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0115.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	133695  
Old 07-21-2016, 08:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnieducks View Post
Guess I will spend the extra money and go with the diesel truck. Now, I need to choose between a gm product, or dodge cummins. Probably will be September and I will post some pictures after the purchase. Thanks to everyone for the comments.
My suggestion is to buy the trailer FIRST. Determine it's wet, loaded weight. (scale it) Then buy a truck that will safely and legally tow it.

A few of us here have years of towing experience and years of full-timing experience. If you are considering full-timing then you will want cool in the summer and that generally means going up in altitude. Remember, what goes up must come down.

Do not trust the salesman when he tells you, Yea it will tow it. Learn what GVWR, GAWR, CGWR is and how to determine if your truck is the correct tool for the job.

You might want to look at the Escapees RV Club forum. Lots of both newbee's and experienced full-timers there.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #21

Just saw the question,,, the Alison trans on GM's Is hooked up to the exhaust brake... It will down shift early on its on when needed... (or the brake is applied) Set the cruise and it does it (exhaust brake/down shifting) on its on to maintain whatever speed is set...
Monkey

monkey is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, tow