Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2005, 09:01 PM   #1

I was reading the book that came with Rampage TT and in the towing section it mentioned to bring the rear tires of the TV up to there rated pressure cold listed on the side of the tire. Hummer recommends 37lbs on the LT315/17 but the rated cold pressure is 50 lbs for the BFG AT's. Should I raise the fronts as well? I have a 2cam hicth on the H2. What say???

Randy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2005, 09:01 PM   #2

I was reading the book that came with Rampage TT and in the towing section it mentioned to bring the rear tires of the TV up to there rated pressure cold listed on the side of the tire. Hummer recommends 37lbs on the LT315/17 but the rated cold pressure is 50 lbs for the BFG AT's. Should I raise the fronts as well? I have a 2cam hicth on the H2. What say???

Randy

Old 11-05-2005, 04:32 AM   #3

The mfg. will telly ou to run a pressure for the stock tires lower that the sidewall max for the smooth ride they are after. It won't hurt the tires in most cases, but you won't get the max capacity out of them. When you tow, you need to fill them to thier max cold, so you don't over load them and run them hot.
Once home, just let them back down.

My tires say 80 psi cold, but I run them a 40, maybe 50 every day so they don't beat me to death while driving to work. Then back to 80 when loaded.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:47 AM   #4

HI Charliez, thanks for the info. I towed the TT home on the lower pressure and had some mush in the travel. Now I know. Can't wait to try the tow with full pressure. Will let you know.

Randy
Old 11-06-2005, 05:21 AM   #5

Charliez, after I read your email I checked the AP on the H2 and they were at 32lbs!!!!. I watched the guys at Jiffy check them and his gauge said 37, I guess his 2.00 gauge is poop. I set the AP to 42lbs and the H2 feels great again. I will do the 50 lbs when I tow and let you know the result. Unloaded the H2 feels much better.

Randy
Old 11-10-2005, 10:44 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check your OWNERS manual and possibly the Tire information manual that Dodge puts in their trucks. They should list a UNLOADED reccomended tire pressure and a LOADED tire pressure. My truck, in the Tire Pressure Manual, states to run 55 front and 40 rear UNLOADED & 65 front and 75 rear LOADED. Even though the tires themself can run at 80 you should NOT run them at that pressure for the Dodge Ram. The Engineers have done all of the proper testing to know exactly the max safe pressure for that manufactures vehichle. What ever yo do DON't just blindly go and inflate your tires to the listed max pressure on the sidewall of the tire. You will effect the overall safety and handleing of your vehichle.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:40 AM   #7

That is all asuming that you have the factory tires. Most people don't after thier first tire change.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:00 AM   #8

Hi Charliez, no they don't list it in the H2 manual. I have increased the TV AP to 42lbs front and back. The manual with the hicth says to put the rear tires on the TV up to max spec listed on the tires themselves. That would be 50. I have the stock type tires on the H2, BFG AT's, the factory says 37 lbs and that feel's good around town. I will leave the front's at 42 and bring the rears to 50. I have air on board the H2 so I can ste them higher or lower in the field. I will let you know. Thanks
Old 11-11-2005, 09:29 AM   #9

Are they P rated tires or LT?
Old 11-11-2005, 11:17 PM   #10

LT315/75/17.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:52 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
you don't necessarily have to run the tires at max pressure when towing. You do need to raise the AP to handle the load you are carrying. Takes a bit a weighing to find out the weight with everything loaded and hitched up. Then you can refer to the tire charts to see what AP you should have.

My old TV/Trailer (GMC3500/5er) combo was weighed by RVSEF at the iRV2 National Rallyin Nashville. While the max AP for the tire was 80#, according to the actual weight I only needed to run at 75# in the rear and 70# in the front.

Now that I've complicated things, running at max AP is not a bad thing.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:11 PM   #12

HI Kstar, Charliez, well the tow went great. Was on a 2 lane with big rigs going the opposite way at 65 plus and had no sway what so ever. Didn't have any pass me going the same way, so not sure if that will cause any problems. Ran the rear AP at 50 ( max) and 45 up front. Whats nice about the hummer is there is hardly any overhang in the rear. The axel is just a foot away from the hitch and I am sure that helped in the great tow I had. I had great time as did the family.

Randy
Old 11-14-2005, 05:13 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:45 AM   #14

Thanks K Star, isn't it interesting how the unknown has such a grip on us. I had such fears after reading so many horror stories on the web about towing I was a nervous wreak. But following all the rules proved that it can be done in such a way as to be part of the fun!!
Thanks
Randy