Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
Changing the axle ratio will not change the 'official' tow rating of your truck,...
Disagree.

Notice what he posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide
Just reviewing the specs.... on my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Long Bed Reg. Cab 4.7 V8 3.55 gears,
With the 3.55 gears it's listed at a 6,400# towing and
with the 3.92 gears 7,400 #.
If the only change is to replace the 3.55 ring gear and pinion with a 3.92 ring gear and pinion, then the truck will have the higher tow rating.

That doesn't mean he can actually tow a 7,400 pound TT without being overloaded, because the tow rating ignores payload capacity. Payload capacity based on GVWR is probably his limiter for max trailer weight, not tow rating based on GCWR.

You cannot change the GVWR (and payload capacity) of your truck by upgrading components, but you can change the GCWR (and tow rating) by replacing a stock ring gear and pinion ratio with another stock ring gear and pinion ratio. Check out the towing specs and you'll confirm this statement.

His half-ton pickup probably can't even tow a 6,400 pound TT without exceeding the GVWR, regardless of his GCWR and tow rating. So changing the ring gear and pinion will give him more power for dragging a trailer up a grade, but it will not change his payload available for hitch weight.

Example: My pickup has a tow rating of 8,400 pounds, but it's overloaded with a TT that grosses 4,870 pounds. I can increase the tow rating to 9,500 pounds by replacing my 3.15 ring gear and pinion with a 3.73 ring gear and pinion. But I'll still be overloaded with a TT that grosses 4,870 pounds, because nothing was done (and nothing can be done at a reasonable cost and effort) to increase my GVWR and payload capacity.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #16

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Yes, we have a 2000 Keystone Springdale Lite 25rkls at 4600# DW and have had it on several trips ( not in the hills yet ) and it has done fine, it's just that all the TT we look at (thinking of our next ) are in the 6500-7000# range.
Jim
Oh OK I see what you mean.

I once ran across a fellow in a campsite who had an old Ford truck perhaps a 91/90. He was pulling a 38 ft 5th wheel. And he had traveled from Ontario Canada to Alberta. He said he had no problem at all.
Get this he had a 302 in it. Not sure I would want to do that but your rig is twice the unit he had. Before I bought my first 5th wheel I went to campsites and talked to people about what the were pulling and what with. I found it very to be very good info.
Some people on this site get technical and it can scare the hell out of a person.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Disagree.

Notice what he posted:

If the only change is to replace the 3.55 ring gear and pinion with a 3.92 ring gear and pinion, then the truck will have the higher tow rating.

That doesn't mean he can actually tow a 7,400 pound TT without being overloaded, because the tow rating ignores payload capacity. Payload capacity based on GVWR is probably his limiter for max trailer weight, not tow rating based on GCWR.

You cannot change the GVWR (and payload capacity) of your truck by upgrading components, but you can change the GCWR (and tow rating) by replacing a stock ring gear and pinion ratio with another stock ring gear and pinion ratio. Check out the towing specs and you'll confirm this statement.

His half-ton pickup probably can't even tow a 6,400 pound TT without exceeding the GVWR, regardless of his GCWR and tow rating. So changing the ring gear and pinion will give him more power for dragging a trailer up a grade, but it will not change his payload available for hitch weight.

Example: My pickup has a tow rating of 8,400 pounds, but it's overloaded with a TT that grosses 4,870 pounds. I can increase the tow rating to 9,500 pounds by replacing my 3.15 ring gear and pinion with a 3.73 ring gear and pinion. But I'll still be overloaded with a TT that grosses 4,870 pounds, because nothing was done (and nothing can be done at a reasonable cost and effort) to increase my GVWR and payload capacity.
Notice my use of the term 'official', meaning Dodge has a tow rating for a specific VIN based on how they built the truck. Plus I stated that if the ratio is changed, the truck in question will have the same towing performance as other truck's built with the optional ratio. As another point, if the ratio is changed to another stock ratio, the truck in question will be no better and no worse with regards to payload capacity than other Dodge trucks that were 'officially' rated for the higher towing capacity.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #18

I would get the diff changed. It will make all of your gears shorter so you'll get into your power band quicker. The tradeoff is that each gear change will gain you less speed. Hypothetically speaking (just throwing out numbers), lets say currently each gear will get you 30mph more until the next gear shift. Changing your rear will get you only 20mph more per gear. So you'll move through gears much quicker, have less lag, and keep you in your power band. Considering your 2010 only had a 5 speed transmission still, this will help with you towing.

Are you towing at highway speed in 5th gear?? Changing the rear may actually help you stay up a gear which helps overall fuel economy.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #19

One bit of advice..
If you change the gears in the rear end, make sure you use regular gear oil (not synthetic) to break in the gears before you tow with it.. Break-in periods will vary from mfgr to mfgr, but I typically recommend - minimum of 500 miles. Then have the backlash checked to be within spec, change the fluid to a synthetic fluid and enjoy your newfound torque multiplication!

Regards - Randy
Old 06-08-2014, 04:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Oh OK I see what you mean.

I once ran across a fellow in a campsite who had an old Ford truck perhaps a 91/90. He was pulling a 38 ft 5th wheel. And he had traveled from Ontario Canada to Alberta. He said he had no problem at all.
Get this he had a 302 in it. Not sure I would want to do that but your rig is twice the unit he had. Before I bought my first 5th wheel I went to campsites and talked to people about what the were pulling and what with. I found it very to be very good info.
Some people on this site get technical and it can scare the hell out of a person.
It's true,
Do not overload the rear axle and tires and things will never change by just changing gearing.

For anyone towing in overdrive with gas its a complete waste because it only adds more wear to the truck. And no better on mileage.
Just hook it up and learn to drive with the load, a few pounds usually don't make a bit of difference. It's the wind drag that effects towing. And trailers have brakes. For me the longer the trailer the better it cuts in the air, and the super light trailers are dangerous to tow, better be heavy models even if it loads the lighter trucks.

Ever tried to stop without trailer brakes, for any size of trucks the front wheels will be first to slip and the ABS will just kick in as if on ice.