Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #1

Rear hitch

Hi guys, new to the forums here. Looks like an awesome site!

I just bought a 2016 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 27RDS 5th wheel. I'm going to put a hitch on the back of it. Our previous '05 Keystone had one that we used for a cargo rack, bikes, jet ski trailer and ATV trailer.

Has anyone else put a hitch on the back of their Cougar X-Lite, and if so, which one did you use and how do you like it? I was looking at the Hidden Hitch 72"ish motor home one. I like the idea of those Curt bolt on bumper hitches but I don't think this bumper is strong enough. Has anyone else done that on one of the relatively new Cougar X-Lites? I'm assuming the frames are all about the same here, with the square bumper welded to the shortish box frame which is welded below the actual frame.

I called Keystone cust. service and asked about capacities for hitches put on the bumper or frame. They just have a generic answer, they don't recommend it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 09:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You need to find a really-good welder/fabricator/engineer that can build up the frame of the trailer and add a class III receiver that will be strong enough to handle up to 500 pounds of weight-carrying hitch weight.

Any town with farmers nearby will probably have such a welding (blacksmith) shop. There's one in my little town of Stanton (population 2,500 friendly people and a few old soreheads). The owner added a receiver to my Keystone Sprinter 5er so I could drag a 6x10 box trailer with a golf cart, a big generator, and other stuff in the trailer. He had to add a lot of "junk iron" to the frame of the trailer to strengthen and extend the frame enough to handle the receiver without danger of the receiver falling off when dragging a loaded trailer.

Stanton is on I-20 in west Texas, midway between Fort Worth and El Paso . If you can't find someone near you, then come to the good part of the world.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:47 PM   #3

Hello Mark: I just bought a new 2016 Arctic fox 27-5, and I also needed a rear hitch. I ended up buying the Curt hitch that was designed for motor homes. The hitch is adjustable and very easy to install. No welding, and very solid construction. Much heavier than I expected. I also installed a multi trailer plug that works with the 7-way or 4 way plugs. I did notch 1" in the square sewer pipe bumper. Looks great and is rock solid. Curt puts on the best powder coated paint also. About 220$ with free shipping for both on Amazon. Dave-R
Old 04-08-2016, 08:06 AM   #4

Thanks for the info guys! I've been talking with a buddy of mine who does welding at his work. He mainly fixes heavy equipment. I was originally gonna have him just help me strengthen up the frame with some junk steel. But, we've ended with deciding to pull off the sewer pipe bumper and replacing it with a 4"x4"x3/16"x8' steel tube and welding a receiver tube and safety chain link onto the bottom of the new bumper. It'll help alleviate the clearance issues I was worried about with hanging a hitch down below the frame too. We're gonna fabricate it all up and then take it to get powder coated before we put it on.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:15 AM   #5

Mark, I think you should extend that tube forward and tie it in with the frame. even tho you are building a stout bumper, you can still have a problem "torqueing" where it connects, if you tie it in forward on your frame, you will create a much stronger result IMHO.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_co View Post
Thanks for the info guys! I've been talking with a buddy of mine who does welding at his work. He mainly fixes heavy equipment. I was originally gonna have him just help me strengthen up the frame with some junk steel. But, we've ended with deciding to pull off the sewer pipe bumper and replacing it with a 4"x4"x3/16"x8' steel tube and welding a receiver tube and safety chain link onto the bottom of the new bumper. It'll help alleviate the clearance issues I was worried about with hanging a hitch down below the frame too. We're gonna fabricate it all up and then take it to get powder coated before we put it on.
Good choice on steel tube. I would run some diagonal bracing from the center area of the new tube to the frame. That will give you the pull strength you need if you're pulling a trailer. wouldn't have to be anything real stout. Maybe some 2x2" 3/16 angle.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:24 AM   #7

Trailer hitch

Go to a welder that has some ideas how to install a hitch .tell Him what U want and have Him give U a price I have installed many hitches and with out buying a premade of any kind never paid over $200. yet pulled 12' trailer loaded with M-Bike, generator and much more and have carried a Honda 3000 solo on a rack south and north mile after mile no problems...so says the Bushman have a great day oh Yes I have a Cougar 276 5er and a old 2015 oil burner Dodge 4x4 CTD and welcome to the site..
Old 04-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #8

Thanks for the tips on reinforcing. I guess I left that part of our plan out. We're going to reinforce the welds that I'm uncomfortable with and add some lateral bracing for the torque as well. Total cost, including powder coating the new bumper, will be right around $200+beer for when we're done. Another reason I'm going this route, he's going to sorta teach me how to weld at the same time. I've always wanted to learn and it's a good opportunity to start. Don't worry, I won't be holding the torch given the criticality of this job.