Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #1

Recommendations Needed

We are looking to purchase our first TT and have several questions.....here is the starting point; 2004 Dodge Quad Cab / Automatic / Hemi / 108,000K. I do not want to kill the truck and really do not want to purchase a new on this year, any recommendations for a trailer (straight pull vs 5th, length, weight, misc ideas). I am not a novice when it comes to pulling, or even mechanical restrictions. I just know that the RV area has never been my area, so this is why I desire your input. I know in the "used" market there are some good deals, however a good deal that kills my truck is not a "good deal" Thanks ahead of time for the input.
scgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #2

You do not mention what size truck? 1500,2500,3500???
If it is a 1500, then please forget a fiver and look instead at a TT.
Personally Northwood makes some pretty good units. Well insulated and pretty rugged. But they are heavy.
There are lots of things to consider, age of the truck, size of the truck, motor size, published towing ratings. All of these things come into play and you have not mentioned them. Please come back with more information.
Also remember for every pound you add to the truck above the base level strippo truck with 1/4 tank of fuel and a 150# driver reduces your real world towing ratings.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #3

oops.yes it is a 1500 // and yes I am leaning more towards a straight pull; I do not want to really go for the extra debt now of a new truck; I can either pay cash for the trailer or the truck and not both at one time. My truck is is great shape (2nd owner) and I would like to get a trailer in the 25'+ range. Ideally, I am willing to go smaller for better quality. We have family in New Mexico and we are in South Carolina.......so away we go (maybe). max towing weight according to Dodge is 7650#, but I would rather stay 15-20% under that, especially with 108k on the odometer (and likewise on the transmission)
Old 05-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Welcome to iRV2, scgator. We'll be glad to help you any way we can.

Look on the truck for sticker with a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) number as well as the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) number & let us know what those are. Those numbers will go a long way in helping us suggest a TT for your needs.

Please tell us a bit more about what you think you are wanting in a TT. Are you leaning towards a pop-up, a hybrid or a fully enclosed TT? Do you have children & their stuff you need to accomodate? Do you think you'll use it for trips other than visiting relatives in NM? Will you need it for any cold weather camping? For used, do you have a limit on how old (i.e. not over 5 years old or will look at anything if the price is right)?

By giving us a bit more information, we'll be able to suggest mfr's for your consideration.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #5

gvw 6700 // gcwr 13000.........we are looking at new and used // no kids, just us // no northern travel //I definitely do not want older than 5 years // curb wt on the truck is 5776 and tow wt is 7600. I figure a weight in the range of 6000 to 6200# is where I need to be to be safe and practical with the truck. // I will "re-shock" the truck, add a chip and good stabilizer hitch, and trans cooler for immediate mods for the truck. Most of my travel will be flat with modest hills // no mountains // and not a speed demon, I retired with plenty of time.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #6

manufacturer choice

not important; I will do a lot of research online for reliability, recalls, campaign, etc. My background is in metal fabrication, welding, machine technology // also a licensed South Carolina electrician, so my background behooves me to look at a lot of things like construction methods, reliability, maintenance and the like.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
CD

scgator
What ever you get I reccomend that you upgrade the load capacity of the tires. I did that with a 17' tt about 40yrs. ago. It had 5/40-14 4ply tires and I put on 700-16 6ply LT tires. I went from a trailer that I could only go 40 with to 70. I know it was over kill but it convinced me the most rvs have only enough tire capacity to be legal, therefore lies a lot of RVers handling problems. I was towing with a 1/2T PU.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #8

you're right on that one, however, I upgraded tires when I put on new ones in December 09; By the way.......KUDOS to everyone on the forums, very helpful and friendly people !