Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
4ms

Reese 15k Fifth wheel hitch question

Hi,
We are new to fifth wheels. I'm getting a 2007 Keystone Outback 31fbhs. I'll be towing with a 2000 Ford F350 Diesel Crew Cab(8ft bed). The place we are purchasing the rig from will be installing a 15k Reese pro long bed hitch. Does anyone have any information on this? Is it good, or should I be looking at other hitches???

Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are several brands and types of hitches out there. I have used three Reeses and never had a problem. Is a 15K big enough for that rig?

ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
4ms

The GVW is 10,500 lbs. Is 15k enough or should I go more?
Old 06-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ms View Post
The GVW is 10,500 lbs. Is 15k enough or should I go more?
I try always to have a heavier rated hitch then is necessary. I towed a lot of heavy trailers with my Reese 20K hitch and it costs perhaps 200$ more for another 10,000Lbs rating then the one you are considering. Never had any trouble with Reese hitches. Now I pull a 13,000 lbs 5er and I use a Valley 25K hitch. I don't care for this hitch as much as I liked my Reese because you could break the Reese hitch down to 2 100Lb pieces allowing someone working alone to install it or remove it. The swivel head and then, the base. The new Valley you can't which means to put it in or out from the rails requires 2 people and it's heavy and ungainly to lift out of or into the bed. Wish I had my Reese back. The Reese also was lockable, not so with the Valley. IMHO a big disadvantage.

Do yourself a favor and buy a heavier hitch and the heaviest tow vehicle you can and they will outlast the trailer and not be working at the very edge of their design limits.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 06-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I just got the Reese Pro 15K a few months ago and have no complaints with it so far. When I researched it, there were no problems that I could find. For the price, I think you would be fine with it.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
4ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLAPP View Post
I just got the Reese Pro 15K a few months ago and have no complaints with it so far. When I researched it, there were no problems that I could find. For the price, I think you would be fine with it.
Mike
Thanks.
What is the approx. weight of the rig you are towing? And what are you towing with if I may ask?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
See my signature for my fiver and truck. The pin weight loaded is about 1800lbs and the gvw of the trailer is 11500. I seem to take alot of stuff with us!
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
4ms

Thanks guys!
Old 06-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #9

I used a Reese 15K hitch to tow a 10,500# GVW 5er for many years(~10) without a single problem. Keep the pivot points lightly greased, use a nylon pin plate on the 5er pin, and most important: Keep the locking lever fastened with either a pad-lock or dog-chain snap! This locking lever is the only thing that secures the jaws locked around the 5er pin.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:59 AM   #10

I have been using this same hitch for over a year witn no issues, towing a Gulf Stream Canyon Trail 33 bunkhouse with a 2000 F-350 CC dually, 10,500 loaded with not a single issue.
I love the fact that it has a pivoting head and for the $$$ seemed to be a good fit for me, the fact that is smaller than some of the higher rated hitched makes it a one man job to remove it if needed.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #11
4ms

Thanks for the replies. I ended up with the Reese 18K. So far so good!!!