Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #1

Reese DC setup problem

I don't think it's a problem now. We recently bought a Reese dual cam WDH for our new 29' TT (actual weight 6600 lbs). I went through a scale numerous times and just couldn't seem to get the weight transfer right. I was using near gorilla force to wind up the original bars to get enough transfer.

I originally bought 800 lb rated trunnion bars since the factory listed dry weight is 518 lbs. But the scale ended up showing it to be 960 lbs. I ended up ordering new 1200 lb bars. I installed them yesterday as I am going camping on the weekend (DW is away travelling at the moment). I drove about a mile yesterday with the new 1200 lb bars and it is an amazing improvement. The trailer is much more stable and there seems to be significantly less bounce in the rear of the trailer.

I was originally having trouble with adjusting the big threaded cam shaft that goes into the bracket. With the chain set on 4 links left over, I could not adjust the threaded rod in far enough (forward direction). I set the bracket location at 19 3/8" as per the Reese instructions. See photo. I was thinking that I needed to move the bracket forward.

Then when I got the new 1200 lb bars, I discovered that the old ones are shorter be about 1/2" (see photo). So now I have more adustment available on the threaded cam shaft. I need to park on a straight/level spot somewhere and adjust the shaft lengths. Then it'll be off to the scale - again. Woohoo (not).

Does anyone know why the bars are a different length? One made in Mexico and the other China? If I absolutely need to, is there any problem with moving the cam arm bracket forward a little bit like say 1/2"?

Curious - am I right in that heavier trucks, 3/4 & 1 ton require more tension on the trunnion bars to transfer weight to the steer axle? Would make sense since the spring rate is higher on heavier trucks. I don't recall seeing this discussed anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (800x357).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	40679   Click image for larger version

Name:	034 (800x600).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	40680  

Click image for larger version

Name:	036 (800x589).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	40681  

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #2

I dont know why the bars are a different length but I can tell you the easiest way to load the bars is to lower your jack and raise the hitch slightly to take some of the load off.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #3

I always do jack the hitch up to get the bars on. Compared to our old plain jane round bar hitch on our old 1/2 and 20' TT, I seem to have to jack the end of the truck up a lot more. Might be better with the news bars though?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you did not have the initial set up with the threaded portion in the mid section, you had the swing arms mounted in the wrong position.

As for the bar length, about 3 years ago, Reese did a redesign and shortened the swing arm assembly. So I would assume the bars changed also. Sounds like you got a different series bars, but as long as they now fir and work...it is a non-issue.

ken
Old 06-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #5

Ken,

I have checked umpteen times. I am pretty sure it is because when I had the 800 lb bars on, I had to tilt the bars down as far as the notches on the shank would allow. When the bars are tilted down, it requires the cam arm to be moved forward quite a bit. Now I have the bars more level and that moves the cams towards the rear (of trailer). Plus with the longer bars, it should all end up being where it should be. I should know exactly after the weekend from being at the scale and adjusting it.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we had the TT and the Dual Cam, I never bother with the scales when setting up the hitch. I just measured at the fenders and set the bars so the truck dropped the same front and rear when the trailer was attached and the bars set. The trailer was level when hitched.

Ken
Old 06-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
When we had the TT and the Dual Cam, I never bother with the scales when setting up the hitch. I just measured at the fenders and set the bars so the truck dropped the same front and rear when the trailer was attached and the bars set. The trailer was level when hitched.

Ken
Same here, just checked the measurement at the wheels, i have both, 800 and 1200 lb bars, the lengths are the same?