Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2005, 08:01 PM   #1

I've read a few threads on the Dual Cam HP systems, but one thing that I'm curious about is whether the things can be set up for weight distributing but with the sway control disabled*. My thinking here is that having the sway control disabled would make for easier low speed maneuvering.

I think I'm mainly interested in the Strait-Line Hitch which combines WD and sway control in one package.

Has anybody here messed with this?
DPtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2005, 08:01 PM   #2

I've read a few threads on the Dual Cam HP systems, but one thing that I'm curious about is whether the things can be set up for weight distributing but with the sway control disabled*. My thinking here is that having the sway control disabled would make for easier low speed maneuvering.

I think I'm mainly interested in the Strait-Line Hitch which combines WD and sway control in one package.

Has anybody here messed with this?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:44 PM   #3

THe way the dual cam works is that it has two "Rollers" so to speak that you adjust to ride in a cupped area of the WD bars. When the vehicle turns these rollers "Ride up" out of the cupped. Of course the rollers are then under stress and try to return to the cupped area which applies pressure for the hitch to return to center.

This can be disabled when you are working into parking spots and such simply by disableing the rollers.

Simple system actually that works well.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:14 PM   #4

The cams are connected to the a-frame by the vertical chains, correct? So if the other links between the bars and the a-frame are still conected, then the hitch is still weight distributing but not controlling sway?
Old 04-20-2005, 12:52 AM   #5

No, when the rollers are disconnected temporarily it takes the WD aspect out.

The chains connect to the end of the rollers when the dual cam is in use. If you wanted to take the dual cam out of service permanently, you change the location the chains connect to from the end of the cam rollers to the end of the WD bars.

But if you are only worried about stuff binding up or something when maneuvering there is no worry. If properly set up you will hit the trailer with your tow vehicle before the dual cam binds up.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:16 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have the dual cam setup on my hitch. It works very well. I have to be careful when I am backing and doing a lot of tight turning, because my bars are close to the tongue of the TT. When we went to Nashville for the 2003 Rally I broke one of my rollers on the end of the bar because that CG was very tight and I was trying to get as far over on my space as possible so my slides were not on the next space too much. It took several times and some really tight turning for me to get the TT where I was satisified that I had left Tony T as much room as I could. I had to wire the roller on so we could get home with it. It cost $75 to replace the broken part. Now when I see that I am going to be doing some tight backing I just take the bars off first.

Bill
Old 04-21-2005, 04:36 PM   #7

I usually pop the bars off while the wife is checking in.I like the setup but it's quite loud on sharp turns.
Metalslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:04 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome Metalslayer, we now have Syr., surrounded LuceGoose is from the south side. Be sure to check out the Nor'Easter threads towards the bottom of the main forum page.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:04 AM   #9

One of these days when I get a real job, we can do something like that.I have split days off and the wife is part time nights M-F so our trips are mainly some place close cause I have to work on Saturdays.
Metalslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:21 PM   #10

I too just pop the bars off before parking too. however, i dont have a problem with them hitting anything or binding, i just dont want to break something over being lazy.

Todd T is offline   Reply With Quote