Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-14-2016, 11:46 PM   #127
Senior Member
 
road dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 7S5
Posts: 571
I did about 3 months of research and talking to various 5th wheel owners before deciding on the B&W Companion. Yeah, it was more expensive but it seemed like after spending many $$$$$ on a 5th wheel and tow vehicle, a good hitch was a relatively small but excellent investment. Seen too many crushed bedsides with other brand hitches installed, that's proof enough for me. I always do a "pull test" but it would be nearly impossible to mis-hitch with a B&W. Plus I like the solid, quiet towing qualities and the fact that it is made in America and they speak the same language.
__________________

__________________
2004.5 GMC SLT CCLB, Ride Rites, Turbo brake, EFI Live
2012 Arctic Fox 29 5T 5th Airborne, B&W, Prodigy
Papillon navigators Lily, Buddy and Willow
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #128
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
I did about 3 months of research and talking to various 5th wheel owners before deciding on the B&W Companion. Yeah, it was more expensive but it seemed like after spending many $$$$$ on a 5th wheel and tow vehicle, a good hitch was a relatively small but excellent investment. Seen too many crushed bedsides with other brand hitches installed, that's proof enough for me. I always do a "pull test" but it would be nearly impossible to mis-hitch with a B&W. Plus I like the solid, quiet towing qualities and the fact that it is made in America and they speak the same language.

In the US where are people buying 5th wheel hitches where they don't speak english? Gotta wonder where the heck you guys shop
__________________

__________________
2014 Raptor 300MP, 2014 Cowboy Cadillac - Ram 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel DRW 4.10 Rear End, 5588 Payload, Firestone Airbags, Curt Q20, TST507
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #129
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 48
I have over 5 million miles in an 18 wheeler and have seen many times when just a visual inspection was NOT enough, every thing looked like it was latched handle was in and safety latch in place, jaws around pin, when it came unhooked doing a pull test, it can happen and the quality of the 5th wheel on an 18 wheeler is better or at least more robust than it's RV counterpart so in my opinion ANYONE that doesn't do a pull test IS a FOOL!
__________________
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #130
Senior Member
 
FloraBama's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 323
Guess I missed it somewhere in the previous 124 posting; but could someone describe how a "pull test" is performed please.
__________________
2016 Ram 3500HD CTD 4x4 SRW CCSB
2017 Cedar Creek Hathaway Edition 34RL2 - Andersen Ultimate 2 5th Wheel Hitch
FloraBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #131
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 9,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloraBama View Post
Guess I missed it somewhere in the previous 124 posting; but could someone describe how a "pull test" is performed please.
Get near the pin and get out and plug in the brake wiring.

Back under the 5er holding the brakes on to HIT the pin.

Lock up the 5ers brakes and give a hard tug foward.

If done properly the landing gear is off the ground anyway, so they won't drag. If you missed the pin, it will land back on the legs.

If all is good, get out and lift the landing gear, check the lights and off you go.

It's a quick test.
__________________
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #132
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
I did about 3 months of research and talking to various 5th wheel owners before deciding on the B&W Companion. Yeah, it was more expensive but it seemed like after spending many $$$$$ on a 5th wheel and tow vehicle, a good hitch was a relatively small but excellent investment. Seen too many crushed bedsides with other brand hitches installed, that's proof enough for me. I always do a "pull test" but it would be nearly impossible to mis-hitch with a B&W. Plus I like the solid, quiet towing qualities and the fact that it is made in America and they speak the same language.
Good call!!!

Your choice on the pull test. Handle closed and locked kingpin and hitch plates touching. LOOK to see if the 1" thick jaws are closed around the kingpin while hooking the break away cable and plugging in the 7 pin cord. That's it it's hitched NO question. This is ONLY for a B&W, other hitches with their color coding and other things PLEASE do a pull test.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:00 AM   #133
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
I have over 5 million miles in an 18 wheeler and have seen many times when just a visual inspection was NOT enough, every thing looked like it was latched handle was in and safety latch in place, jaws around pin, when it came unhooked doing a pull test, it can happen and the quality of the 5th wheel on an 18 wheeler is better or at least more robust than it's RV counterpart so in my opinion ANYONE that doesn't do a pull test IS a FOOL!

I guess I am a FOOL! Just look at the mechanics of the B&W, then tell me I am a fool again. If you do as I have said it's NOT going to drop. A visual test on a "B&W" is just as good as a PULL test.

As I have said MANY times that is how "I" do it.

I would always do a pull test also if I were a BIG time trucker, I would also do a PULL test on most other RV hitches.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #134
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 48
BULL*** anything man made CAN fail. It takes almost no effort to do a pull test so why not do all you can to help prevent an accident?
__________________
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:36 PM   #135
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
BULL*** anything man made CAN fail. It takes almost no effort to do a pull test so why not do all you can to help prevent an accident?

Cause he's a fool. LOL.
__________________
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:57 PM   #136
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
BULL*** anything man made CAN fail. It takes almost no effort to do a pull test so why not do all you can to help prevent an accident?
As I have said MANY times "I" do a visual test and explain how and why. if YOU want to do a pull test have at it.

I certainly would do a pull with many of the other hitches on the market.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #137
Senior Member
 
road dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 7S5
Posts: 571
It is virtually impossible to drop a 5th wheel with a B&W hitch, but I heard of it happening one time to someone on another RV thread so I do a quick test by putting in forward gear immediately after the jaws close while wheels are still chocked. Only takes a second. I can't fathom how a B&W hitch could allow a trailer to drop but apparently someone figured out how to do it so I probably could too. The few times I have picked my 5th wheel up from the dealer service they have insisted I do a pull test when I hook up, so I do it without arguing. I have heard of people pulling their 5th wheel hundreds of miles without the lever being pinned in the closed position, scary but not a problem with the B&W.
__________________
2004.5 GMC SLT CCLB, Ride Rites, Turbo brake, EFI Live
2012 Arctic Fox 29 5T 5th Airborne, B&W, Prodigy
Papillon navigators Lily, Buddy and Willow
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #138
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
It is virtually impossible to drop a 5th wheel with a B&W hitch, but I heard of it happening one time to someone on another RV thread so I do a quick test by putting in forward gear immediately after the jaws close while wheels are still chocked. Only takes a second. I can't fathom how a B&W hitch could allow a trailer to drop but apparently someone figured out how to do it so I probably could too. The few times I have picked my 5th wheel up from the dealer service they have insisted I do a pull test when I hook up, so I do it without arguing. I have heard of people pulling their 5th wheel hundreds of miles without the lever being pinned in the closed position, scary but not a problem with the B&W.
The person dropping their 5er with a B&W admitted he pinned the handle OPEN. BAD idea!!!

My wife is at the controls on the 5er. Her and I both VISUALLY CONFIRM the jaws are closed around the kingpin and I have the handle LOCKED before she raises the landing gear.

I am a "FOOL" for sure!!!
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:08 AM   #139
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 50
Good read. I learned a lot in the last 10 pages.

I did the research like others and settled on the B&W Companion for two reasons: 1) I get GN capability and 2) No rails in the bed since I don't have pucks.

I was really worried about hooking up and high hitching so any time I hook up I do a careful inspection to make sure the bottom of the king is below the jaws. The jaws are silver already so it makes it easier to see them. I believe I'll spray paint the king pin flange a florescent orange so I can see it better. I do the pull test also but didn't realize I should give it some gas to put pressure on the pin. I also realize I need to get rid of the handle pin and get a lock for it.

On a tangent story I knew a guy that upgraded from an open car hauler to a bumper pull, 28' enclosed, car hauler. He never changed the 2" ball to a 2 5/16" to match the enclosed hauler's coupler. He drove hundreds of miles and never had an issue. One day at the local dirt track he had to get a running start to get up the race track and out. There is a dip followed by bump about 10 feet before the track wall opening, and when he hit it the entire truck bounced and the trailer came unlatched and nose dived into the dirt. His haul to the race track was at least an hour one way through mountain roads with dips and bumps. He's lucky it came off at the low speed and in that environment. No damage to truck or trailer.

Hope it all gets resolved to your satisfaction.
__________________
merc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:22 AM   #140
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
.....................
__________________

__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reese Goosebox and Lippert Frame Failure Report RRman 5th Wheel Discussion 2 04-16-2015 07:55 PM
Why no 5er hitch for Draw-Tite, Reese,Hidden Hitch gooseneck? TEX-CTD Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 7 07-31-2010 07:33 AM
Question about my Reese hitch. Del Monte Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 6 09-05-2005 08:30 PM
Super Hitch vs. Titan V or Torklift vs Reese CyberVet65 Truck Camper Discussion 22 01-30-2005 07:16 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.