Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2016, 11:46 PM   #127

I did about 3 months of research and talking to various 5th wheel owners before deciding on the B&W Companion. Yeah, it was more expensive but it seemed like after spending many $$$$$ on a 5th wheel and tow vehicle, a good hitch was a relatively small but excellent investment. Seen too many crushed bedsides with other brand hitches installed, that's proof enough for me. I always do a "pull test" but it would be nearly impossible to mis-hitch with a B&W. Plus I like the solid, quiet towing qualities and the fact that it is made in America and they speak the same language.

road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
I did about 3 months of research and talking to various 5th wheel owners before deciding on the B&W Companion. Yeah, it was more expensive but it seemed like after spending many $$$$$ on a 5th wheel and tow vehicle, a good hitch was a relatively small but excellent investment. Seen too many crushed bedsides with other brand hitches installed, that's proof enough for me. I always do a "pull test" but it would be nearly impossible to mis-hitch with a B&W. Plus I like the solid, quiet towing qualities and the fact that it is made in America and they speak the same language.

In the US where are people buying 5th wheel hitches where they don't speak english? Gotta wonder where the heck you guys shop

Old 06-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #129

I have over 5 million miles in an 18 wheeler and have seen many times when just a visual inspection was NOT enough, every thing looked like it was latched handle was in and safety latch in place, jaws around pin, when it came unhooked doing a pull test, it can happen and the quality of the 5th wheel on an 18 wheeler is better or at least more robust than it's RV counterpart so in my opinion ANYONE that doesn't do a pull test IS a FOOL!
Old 06-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #130

Forest River Owners Club
Guess I missed it somewhere in the previous 124 posting; but could someone describe how a "pull test" is performed please.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloraBama View Post
Guess I missed it somewhere in the previous 124 posting; but could someone describe how a "pull test" is performed please.
Get near the pin and get out and plug in the brake wiring.

Back under the 5er holding the brakes on to HIT the pin.

Lock up the 5ers brakes and give a hard tug foward.

If done properly the landing gear is off the ground anyway, so they won't drag. If you missed the pin, it will land back on the legs.

If all is good, get out and lift the landing gear, check the lights and off you go.

It's a quick test.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #132

Quote:
Good call!!!

Your choice on the pull test. Handle closed and locked kingpin and hitch plates touching. LOOK to see if the 1" thick jaws are closed around the kingpin while hooking the break away cable and plugging in the 7 pin cord. That's it it's hitched NO question. This is ONLY for a B&W, other hitches with their color coding and other things PLEASE do a pull test.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:00 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
I have over 5 million miles in an 18 wheeler and have seen many times when just a visual inspection was NOT enough, every thing looked like it was latched handle was in and safety latch in place, jaws around pin, when it came unhooked doing a pull test, it can happen and the quality of the 5th wheel on an 18 wheeler is better or at least more robust than it's RV counterpart so in my opinion ANYONE that doesn't do a pull test IS a FOOL!

I guess I am a FOOL! Just look at the mechanics of the B&W, then tell me I am a fool again. If you do as I have said it's NOT going to drop. A visual test on a "B&W" is just as good as a PULL test.

As I have said MANY times that is how "I" do it.

I would always do a pull test also if I were a BIG time trucker, I would also do a PULL test on most other RV hitches.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #134

BULL*** anything man made CAN fail. It takes almost no effort to do a pull test so why not do all you can to help prevent an accident?
Old 06-17-2016, 10:36 PM   #135

Quote:
BULL*** anything man made CAN fail. It takes almost no effort to do a pull test so why not do all you can to help prevent an accident?

Cause he's a fool. LOL.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:57 PM   #136

Quote:
As I have said MANY times "I" do a visual test and explain how and why. if YOU want to do a pull test have at it.

I certainly would do a pull with many of the other hitches on the market.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #137

It is virtually impossible to drop a 5th wheel with a B&W hitch, but I heard of it happening one time to someone on another RV thread so I do a quick test by putting in forward gear immediately after the jaws close while wheels are still chocked. Only takes a second. I can't fathom how a B&W hitch could allow a trailer to drop but apparently someone figured out how to do it so I probably could too. The few times I have picked my 5th wheel up from the dealer service they have insisted I do a pull test when I hook up, so I do it without arguing. I have heard of people pulling their 5th wheel hundreds of miles without the lever being pinned in the closed position, scary but not a problem with the B&W.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #138

Quote:
It is virtually impossible to drop a 5th wheel with a B&W hitch, but I heard of it happening one time to someone on another RV thread so I do a quick test by putting in forward gear immediately after the jaws close while wheels are still chocked. Only takes a second. I can't fathom how a B&W hitch could allow a trailer to drop but apparently someone figured out how to do it so I probably could too. The few times I have picked my 5th wheel up from the dealer service they have insisted I do a pull test when I hook up, so I do it without arguing. I have heard of people pulling their 5th wheel hundreds of miles without the lever being pinned in the closed position, scary but not a problem with the B&W.
The person dropping their 5er with a B&W admitted he pinned the handle OPEN. BAD idea!!!

My wife is at the controls on the 5er. Her and I both VISUALLY CONFIRM the jaws are closed around the kingpin and I have the handle LOCKED before she raises the landing gear.

I am a "FOOL" for sure!!!
Old 07-07-2016, 08:08 AM   #139

Good read. I learned a lot in the last 10 pages.

I did the research like others and settled on the B&W Companion for two reasons: 1) I get GN capability and 2) No rails in the bed since I don't have pucks.

I was really worried about hooking up and high hitching so any time I hook up I do a careful inspection to make sure the bottom of the king is below the jaws. The jaws are silver already so it makes it easier to see them. I believe I'll spray paint the king pin flange a florescent orange so I can see it better. I do the pull test also but didn't realize I should give it some gas to put pressure on the pin. I also realize I need to get rid of the handle pin and get a lock for it.

On a tangent story I knew a guy that upgraded from an open car hauler to a bumper pull, 28' enclosed, car hauler. He never changed the 2" ball to a 2 5/16" to match the enclosed hauler's coupler. He drove hundreds of miles and never had an issue. One day at the local dirt track he had to get a running start to get up the race track and out. There is a dip followed by bump about 10 feet before the track wall opening, and when he hit it the entire truck bounced and the trailer came unlatched and nose dived into the dirt. His haul to the race track was at least an hour one way through mountain roads with dips and bumps. He's lucky it came off at the low speed and in that environment. No damage to truck or trailer.

Hope it all gets resolved to your satisfaction.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:22 AM   #140