Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2016, 04:20 PM   #43

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2016, 04:23 PM   #44

What I was saying no matter what the weight of the trailer, the way the hitch is constructed. ..if the trailer came loose---something had to bend or break.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:34 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers104 View Post
What I was saying no matter what the weight of the trailer, the way the hitch is constructed. ..if the trailer came loose---something had to bend or break.
I am still wondering if his hitch was too small for his setup which would lead to the damage you are hinting at especially in tights turns. 18k lbs trailer vs 18k lbs hitch
Old 04-21-2016, 05:36 PM   #46

I am presently in a campground with a bunch of 5ers.

One 5er I noticed had, what looked like, an adjustment on the king pin angle.

I noticed it because it seemed to be angled in a way that if unlocked, the trailer would slip down off the plate.

I would think that after hitching up, the plate and pin should be level with the ground.

If the king pin and plate are not 90 degrees to the ground, in a tight turn, the forces between the hitch and pin would be great.

There is some flexibility fore and aft with the plate but not side to side.

Is your hitch plate and king pin level with the ground when hitched and road ready ?
Old 04-21-2016, 06:08 PM   #47

Fifth wheel

Just a thought. Is the lube plate you had on made by same company as hitch. Might be totally wrong, but I was wondering if the thickness was enough so when you did hook it had enough to snap jaws but put you as others mentioned, in a high hook situation. I've heard of tractor trailers going miles before uncoupling. I mostly try to get under with a flashlight and visibly look per companies requirement after having drivers drop trailers. I guess I could understand better with something that's old and been abused but that's certainly not the case here. Please post outcome. Good luck getting it all squared away and I know it's not what you want to hear, lucky nobody got hurt or killed.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #48

I have the Reese hitch with lube plate only 24K. 1st one that I bought from Ford was replaced by Reese due to the fact that it would not close properly. And always grease the pin and catch.
It will high hitch, done it. I take and double and triple check. One campground we stayed at when I got on level ground before pulling out of the campground I saw about a 1/4 inch gap, that has never been there. Put the gear back down and re-hitched. Fully seated.
Do not know what happened in your case, just giving my experience.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:02 AM   #49

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
The jaws were not forced open while locked, thats quite a stretch. You were high hitched. The king pin was wedged between the jaws and the hitch plate. When you put enough pressure on it it came out of the hitch.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:07 AM   #50

Update

I am the first one to admit I might have done something wrong and if there is no defect with the hitch, it may be that it was a high pin. The big deal here is that I'm experienced with this setup and have had other rigs and it wasn't like forgot to do or check something. This hitch plate does angle down toward the back of my truck when not connected, but it always levels out flat when I hook up. And the lube plate is super thin, that wouldn't cause a high pin. After I hooked up this time, I pulled it out of my campsite onto pavement after a 90 degree turn so I was straight and level and stopped and checked everything a second time. Everything looked right. If it was high pinned and not noticeable and that was the cause, that makes this even more messed up.

Ford has now told me they have no intention of inspecting anything and will make a determination from the photos I sent them...So I guess I know my answer there. I informed my insurance of this and they are going to pay a local hitch installer to inspect the hitch and see if they can find any defects or cause. If not visible, then they will tear it down and see if there is anything internally. If there is a defect found with the hitch, insurance will sue Ford for the damages. If no defect, they will find me at fault.

If I have the hitch removed and inspected, Ford said they will close and deny my claim. Of course, it's not like they care to inspect it. So if they need to remove and tear down the hitch, I am first going to go hook up my trailer and have the whole thing on video to show it is properly connected. Then tow it back to my street and put in the same position it was in when it failed and see if I can recreate it, on video. Truck and trailer are already damaged so if it pops again, so what. If there is nothing found wrong with the hitch, they are going to find me at fault anyways, so nothing to lose.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:06 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
I absolutely love my B&W Patriot! And it's made in the US! My understanding is Curt and Reese are making these hitches in China.

That's probably about 98% of the problem.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #52

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is this a tri-axle trailer? I am thinking that the stresses put on the wheels and such must be quite high in a very sharp turn like that too.
Is it possible to back into your cul-d-sac? Or too far? Just thinking ahead.
Good luck on the repairs.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #53

I have no idea what the problem is but there IS A PROBLEM with many REESE hitches. I have seen MANY trucks with bed damage and the vast majority have a REESE in the bed.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I have no idea what the problem is but there IS A PROBLEM with many REESE hitches. I have seen MANY trucks with bed damage and the vast majority have a REESE in the bed.

Generally caused when turning at slow speed (like in a campground) and going over terrain that is too rough to be driving over! Hardly a fault of the hitch, generally "operator error"!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Generally caused when turning at slow speed (like in a campground) and going over terrain that is too rough to be driving over! Hardly a fault of the hitch, generally "operator error"!
That's what we unsophisticated backward Southern boys call sub-standard engineering. When buying a hitch, I'll be sure to get the "hold up when maneuvering at campground speed" model. That way, I can avoid the embarrassment and expense of that slow speed turn operator error.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #56

[QUOTE=Cummins12V98;3036674]I have no idea what the problem is but there IS A PROBLEM with many REESE hitches. I have seen MANY trucks with bed damage and the vast majority have a REESE in the bed.

I've been following this thread for a few days now, in hopes that the OP gets some closure as to the problem that caused damage to his vehicle. For now, it is a mystery. I'm quite sure that when and if he ever does, he'll follow up with a post to this forum. You seemed very sure that the damage you've see to truck beds mostly were with Reese hitches. Please don't bash a particular hitch; in this case, Reese. There are an awful lot of Reese hitches out there along with people who are happy with them. Provided the 5th wheel (any brand) was setup correctly in the TV in the first place, when it comes to damaging the TV, the problem is almost always "operator error". Someone getting in a hurry when hitching up, and/or inattentiveness to what they were doing. Example is talking or listening to someone while they were hitching up. Advice, Don't Do It.
And always take the time to do a walk around before leaving.