Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Smile Reese Revolution Pin Box???

Hey everyone
I just ordered a Flagstaff 8528BHWS from the Hershey Show and it has the revolution pin box
I was thinking of getting the B&W companion hitch
My truck is a 2013 Ford F350 with a 6.5 bed
Reading the forums it looks like I should not nave any clearance issues with the cab correct?
Another question is how should I set up the companion head before I go pick up the trailer to keep the 7" off the bed rails ?
Thanks for everyone's time

Jason

2013 F350 SB,CC Lariat Ruby Red,3.73Gears,5Star Tuned,,Line-X Bed,Extang Platinum Cover,Airlift LoadLifter 5000 Bags,Airlift Wireless Air controller,Reese Signature Series Fifth Wheel Rail Kit,B&W Fifth Wheel Hitch,2014 Flagstaff 8528BHWS
thetiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #2

Reese Revolution Pin Box

I have the same hitch but it comes from the factory as a normal pin box set-up. You or the dealer has to change it over. Takes about 1/2hr. I tried it but put it back to normal because I have an 8ft bed. Worked OK, but seemed to have a little flex in it. Went over 2000 miles, about the same in the normal position. My walk thru guy wasn't too impressed, but you really don't have a choice unless you buy a slider hitch.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Reading more it looks like you should not use the Revolution with it activated and the companion hitch
Looks like I need to find another Hitch to purchase
2013 F350 SB,CC Lariat Ruby Red,3.73Gears,5Star Tuned,,Line-X Bed,Extang Platinum Cover,Airlift LoadLifter 5000 Bags,Airlift Wireless Air controller,Reese Signature Series Fifth Wheel Rail Kit,B&W Fifth Wheel Hitch,2014 Flagstaff 8528BHWS
Old 09-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #4

I don't see why it won't work with the Companion.
There's lot a lot of official info on it yet though.
I love the B&W products. Do you not have factory fifth wheel hitch pucks?
Old 09-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetiler View Post
Another question is how should I set up the companion head before I go pick up the trailer to keep the 7" off the bed rails ?
Don't try to do it ahead of time.

With the trailer connected, the trailer must be level, front to rear. So adjust the hitch head and the pin box until the trailer is level. After the trailer is level, then check the clearance between the top of the bed and the underside of the 5er during a sharp turn.

A nose-high 5er is a no-no. Don't do that. Get that trailer level for safe towing on the road.

If you have less than 5" clearance with a level trailer, then you must either lower the truck or raise the trailer on its suspension. 5" is the minimum clearance you need, and even then you have to be wary of ditches and dips. 6" clearance is even better. 7" clearance would be a luxury few can achieve and still have a level trailer. However, if you plan to go "off road" such as, for example, a Jeep trail up to a hunting campsite in the mountains, then you want 8" clearance or more. Else you'll have dents in the top of your bedsides. (Been there, done that.)
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I don't see why it won't work with the Companion.
There's lot a lot of official info on it yet though.
I love the B&W products. Do you not have factory fifth wheel hitch pucks?
No I do not have anything yet
I might install the Ford Factory under bed hitch mount or the Reese
Checking into both
Old 09-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetiler View Post
I might install the Ford Factory under bed hitch mount or the Reese
The Ford factory-optional 5er hitch prep is identical to the Reese Elite 5er hitch install kit. Unless you know a good Ford parts dude that will give you a big discount on the Ford parts, you can probably buy the Reese Elite parts cheaper from an on-line hitch discounter, such as ETrailer.com or Amazon.com.

Here's the Reese Elite 18k slider hitch, complete with the install kit:

Ford F-250 and F-350 Super Duty Fifth Wheel Hitch - 2013 | etrailer.com

I checked on Amazon.com and it was close to the same price. Roughly $2,042 for the hitch and $478 for the under-bed rail install kit.